Search

Tour de France

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Tour de France

I'm sure many of you are watching, especially those of us who love France.

Every year MDH says "my wife watches the tour, and off we go to France". He's right we just booked our Sept. trip.

I know some think watching bike riding is like watching paint dry, but the scenery in France, and this year part of Spain ,is so beautiful. How could you not fall in love?

Am I alone in this?
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, it's not just about the bike race and the breathtaking scenery - it's also the opportunity to drop in on all those 'ordinary' towns and communities along the way. And then there's the special challenge of watching the Tour live in my part of the world - which means tuning in between 10pm and 1.30am for three weeks in the dead of winter - Lance, Alberto and Cadel won't be the only ones exhausted by the top of Mt Ventoux.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Wow! Someone finally mentioned watching the Tour.

I also watch for the scenery. I doubt I will ever manage to make any of those beautiful drives in the Pyrenees and Andorra.

However, the coastal route which they took between Montpelier and Barcelona looks 'to die for'. I wonder what highway they were on. We once drove roughly from Montpelier but turned inland near Narbonne and toward Carcassone.

Yesterday's finish was certainly more exciting than paint drying!
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 09:06 AM

I watch the tour every year. We went to Paris and watched Lance Armstrong win his last race a few years ago, very cool.

God, if he wins this year I might have to buy some last minute tickets to Paris.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM

I'm glued to my tv every morning. On Day 2 they passed right behind the house we stay in every summer, but because it was so early in the day, the US tv only showed a couple of quick glimpses of the road from Nice to Grasse, so I just have to imagine it!

But it sure it whetting my appetite for some different areas of France!
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 04:08 PM

We are up every morning at 5:30 am to watch. We have always loved the tour. I saw Lance cross the finish line in Paris in 2002, it was so exciting.

But this year is extra special for us. As I have posted before Tyler Farrar (Garmin Slipstream)is from our small town and graduated the same year as our son.

There is very few things I would get up for 5:30am for but the tour is well worth it.

My husband just biked in the Seattle to Portland this weekend. As my sister and I stood by the rode cheering, we laughed that all we need was bull horns on our head and some weird dress just like those crazy tour fans by the road.