Tour Companies in Palermo, Sicily

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be spending an extra two nights at the Hotel Mercure Palermo Centro in Palermo prior to beginning a 10-day Sicily tour in September. Since we'll have an extra few days to tour on our own, can you suggest some reasonably-priced tour companies that can take us on some day trips, such as to Cefalu. Some of the companies I've checked on charge 250 euros, which I find very expensive. Also, how easy is it to take a bus to the different areas of town?
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 03:48 PM

You might have a look at

http://www.compagniasicilianaturismo.it/home.asp

These are regular bus tours, not small-group tours.

Traveling by bus in Palermo is relatively easy, but almost anything would be within walking of your hotel, if you are fairly good walkers.

You would definitely have to take a bus to visit the cathedral in Monreale; the bus - it has a 3-digit number that I've unfortunately forgotten - leaves from one side of Piazza Indipendenza. There's a bus information booth on the square that has the number posted.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:04 PM

You can also go to Cefalu independently; there are direct trains from Palermo that take between 45 minutes and an hour to get there.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Eloise: Thanks for that tour company/bus link. I will be going to Italy again at the end of August and spending about 4 or 5 days in Sicilia as well. I will be staying in Siracusa and Agrigento and would like to take a day tour up to Palermo.

I can't wait to see Sicilia with its millenia of history, I will be in heaven! (can't help it as I am a Roman historian)
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:49 AM

I agree about taking the train from Palermo to Cefalu. Trains are quick and frequent, and it is quite easy, and very enjoyable, to walk around Cefalu on your own. 250 EU is an outrageous price for any day trip to a place that is easily accessible by train.

Also agree that Palermo is walkable to most places.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Want to thank all of you for responding to my questions with some very helpful information. FYI, my father was born in the Trapani region (Gibellina) in 1898 and migrated to the US in 1920. I visited Sicily 8 years ago and have been wanting to go back. My only regret is that I didn't get to Sicily while my dad was alive, so that we could have discussed his life there.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:57 AM

Enjoy your trip, Marie. I have been to Sicily four times and it's one of my favorite places in the world. I'm about due for another visit. My paternal grandparents were from Bronte, at the foot of Mt. Etna.

My mother was from a small town in Puglia, and altho' I've been to Italy many times, I'm sorry to say I've not yet been to Puglia. Like Sicily, it has been "discovered" so it's also on the agenda for my next trip -- before it gets too overrun.

Buon viaggio!