Toscana/Umbria - only five days

Apr 14th, 2002, 08:35 PM
tepui5

Toscana/Umbria - only five days

Am traveling to Italy next week, and this time around wish to visit small towns I haven't yet been to in Toscana & Umbria --I know, very little time, lots to see, AND will be using public transportation. I plan to stay in Milano until the 21 with friends before and after going South, but was wondering:
1) Should I make hotel reservations for April 22-26 (was told 25th is a holiday)? I had planned to travel around and decide where to stay once I got there, but am wondering about this.
2) Train or bus reservations once I'm there? Or can I also just show up at the train/bus and buy my ticket? Easy conections between S Gimignano, Cortona, Todi, Orvieto, for example?
Thanks!

Apr 15th, 2002, 05:44 AM
not there yet

I'll also be in Italy, probably last week in May and first of June, and am looking for similar information regarding trains and buses - I recommend you search this forum, where I found the following useful web site with a map of Italian train routes:
http://uk.geocities.com/goitaly2000/trainmap2.html

Don't know about hotel reservations, though - was wondering about that too. Some friends have told me I might be better off if I did, but others said I can find excellent places to stay in the hill towns without having to make reservations beforehand, just deciding where to stay while on the road, and choosing the hotel once I arrive in Siena or other such places.

Apr 15th, 2002, 05:49 AM
vera

1. Do get a reservation.
2. Pick a single city to use as a base, thought Siena was a good idea.
3. Rent a bike for days trips in the region.
4. Depending on trains and busses will waste too much time.

Apr 15th, 2002, 06:34 AM
max

1 -Agree with Vera, get reservations, it might not always be necessary, but you'll be glad you did.

I found some hotels were fully booked, others weren't but you won't know until you get there, so plan ahead.

2 -Rented a car, so don't know about public transportation in the region.

Apr 15th, 2002, 08:19 AM
xxx

Was there last November and had no reservations for hotels, but we rented a car, so at the only place we were told they had no room, we just moved on.

Except for that one hotel in Lucca (there was some meeting going on, we were told), we were able to stay exactly where we chose.

Why don' you write or fax the hotels you're interested in and get some feedback from them about vacancies for those five days? That way, you'll get a feel for what things are like regarding reservations.

As to conections by bus and train, I recall two or three people we met while traveling complaining to us about having to wait a long time at bus stations, so make sure you have train and bus schedules with you.