topping or ttt?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Linda

topping or ttt?

What does this mean?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:06 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>Postings appear on the left in chronological order, according to the date and time of the most recent response. More recent postings move up, and thereby push older postings down the list. When someone wants to revive a posting and push it back up to the top of the list, some people simply post the response to that thread as "topping" or ttt (to the top) to add a recent response which pushes it<BR>(temporarily) back to the top of the list.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Rex

ttt = "to the top" synonymous with "topping"<BR><BR>This gets asked almost daily.<BR><BR>It refers to adding a message, no matter how insignificant (one character would do), so that the message returns "to the top" - - in the left hand column.<BR><BR>Used to make a thread easier for someone else to find, or to rejuvenate a question with few, zero - - or unusually good - - answers.<BR><BR>So simple that the person asking it probably has it figured it out almost immediately after posing the question!<BR><BR>Even a wordy response, like this, will also "top" this question.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:14 AM
tired

Why is this question posted every single day? Doesn't anyone read the threads before asking their questions?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:17 AM
nospam

It only takes one new visitor a day to not understand, to ask the question. What's the harm in asking it? or asnswering it?<BR><BR>The real question is why you want to make this newcomer feel so unwelcome? If this bothers you so much, why do you stop to read it? You had to do that to e able to post your rude answer.<BR><BR>Newcomers are the lifeblood of this forum. Welcome, Linda.<BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Linda

Tired, sorry you have to see this same question again! I searched under "ttt" and "topping" and couldn't find that topic. And,...I don't even know what "read the threads" means so I didn't do it. Oh well...thanks to everyone that responded...got my question answered.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Linda

Thanks for your support nospam!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Tired

I topped yesterdays topping question to help things along...in case it is hard to find, it is called TOPPING~

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:27 AM
will

A "thread" is a topic (or question) and it's responses. See, now you've learned two things today. My grandmother used to say that if you learned something new everyday, you wouldn't die that day! Guess you're safe until atleast tomorrow!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:32 AM
xxx3

Topping this topping thread, to top the other topped topping thread. Silly enough for ya?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:38 AM
topper

tttoooooooooo silly to top

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Rex

to will:<BR><BR>All my life I have said "You learn something new every day - - if you live long enough..." It's one of those "makes-no-sense" things that I'm sure i heard from someone else.<BR><BR>You've just now explained it.<BR><BR>If you get killed early in the day - - before you've had your chance to learn something that day - - well, whoops, you didn't get your "protection" for that day!<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 11:05 AM
kelly

Okay, here is another newcomers question...Why is it that I can be looking for a post that I know exists, yet when I search for it using the keyword function I get the answer that there are no matches? I know it's not because the post has been removed, because if I take the time to scroll through 150 messages I can find it, and it will have the exact words in the topic name as I am searching for???? (e.g. if I search for "Delle Nazioni" I get some posts containing these words but not others!!)

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 11:06 AM
kelly

When I say "keyword function" I mean the "Text Search" box at the top of the screen.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Rex

It's because there is a very annoying problem called "indexing lag", the only keywords that work IMMEDIATELY are the ones you click on in the countries box. If you specified a country, you can get to an easier list to look through by using find on that.<BR><BR>Eventually - - sometimes at inervals of a week, sometimes several months, Fodors "re-indexes" the database - - and then every word - - in the message header, ain the body of the message - - and now even in the e-mail address goes into the "look-up" file (the index). Until that occurs, any newer posts can NOT be found by the search method.<BR><BR>Keeping the URL of a post is one other foolproof method of quickly finding a thread.<BR><BR>This thread, for example, has the following URL:<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1351810<BR><BR>This NEVER changes, and is not subject to indexing. You can always goet to your thread via the URL.<BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Rex

something wrong with posting, all of a sudden...<BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Sue

You can actually top without adding a post if you cancel your response in mid-send.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Sue

Whoops, guess you can't. I swear it happened to me the other day. Maybe it was the opposite--it didn't top, but my message still posted.