Top Sites in London

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Vita

Top Sites in London

I thought this was interesting. According to 'This is London,' these are London's most visited sites. I can't believe Madame Tussaud's beats St. Pauls or Westminster Abbey. (Rankings are based on attendance figures for 1999; figures collated by the London Tourist Board.) Anyone have their own top ten?<BR><BR>British Museum 5.5 million visitors<BR><BR>National Gallery 5 million visitors<BR><BR>Madame Tussaud's 2.6 million visitors<BR><BR>Tower of London - 2.4 million visitors<BR><BR>Tate Britain - 1.8 million visitors<BR><BR>Natural History Museum - 1.7 million visitors<BR><BR>Chessington World of Adventures - 1.6 million visitors<BR><BR>Science Museum - 1.5 million visitors<BR><BR>Westminster Abbey - 1.3 million visitors<BR><BR>St. Paul's Cathedral - 1.1 million visitors<BR><BR>London Zoo - 1.1 million visitors

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Sara

1. The Docklands<BR>2. British Museum<BR>3. The South Bank<BR>4. Somerset House<BR>5. Big Ben<BR>6. Harrods<BR>7. Primrose Hill<BR>8. The City<BR>9. Tate Modern<BR>10.Royal Opera House

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Mel

Where's the Victoria & Albert Museum?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Vita

The V&A Museum is in South Kensington. Here's the site: http://www.vam.ac.uk/

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 11:49 AM
curious

What is the "Chessington World of Adventures". I'm not sure I've heard of it. thx. <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:24 PM
ron

The London Tourist Board has the 2000 data on its site, which is quite a bit different from 1999, with the addition of three new attractions - the Millennium Dome came in first, the Tate Modern 4th and the London Eye 5th. With these three plus the V&A moving up to 10th, the Science Museum, Westminster Abbey, Tate Britain and St. Paul’s/London Zoo dropped out of the top 10.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Ellen

I wonder how these rankings will change for the current year, since last December several museums eliminated their admissions charges, including V&A, Natural History, and Science. And of course the Millennium dome is no longer a contender.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Mel

Vita: Thanks very much--I was really just asking how the London Tourist Board had overlooked it.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 05:50 AM
jj

Topping for Bernie looking for must sees in London.<BR><BR>Just adding Harrod's Food Halls.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 09:52 AM
janis

Mel - the tourist board didn't overlook the V&amp;A - tourists did. The V&amp;A has never been one of the highest visited sites. Now with its new galleries and free admission it is creeping up. <BR><BR>It is important to remember total visitors include the locals, not just foreign tourists - which is why places like Chessington, Alton Towers and Blackpool always are high on London and England most-visited lists.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 10:06 AM
janis

Oh - forgot to describe Chessington -- It is a seasonal theme park sort of similar to a Marriotts Great America or Six Flags in the States. Not as big but with thrill rides and some &quot;theme&quot; sections. Their big cartoon tie-in is Dennis the Mennace so you get the picture- sort of a down market Six Flags Magic Mountain SW of London