Reload this Page >

Top 5 Statues in Europe

Search

Top 5 Statues in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 01:11 AM
TJ

Top 5 Statues in Europe

My nominees: <BR> <BR>1. La Pieta, Vatican <BR>2. Venus de Milo, Paris <BR>3. David, Florence <BR>4. The Thinker, Paris <BR>5. Mannekin Pis, Brussels

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 03:37 AM
Ed

The top three are easy for me, all by Michaelangelo: <BR> <BR>Moses <BR>Pieta <BR>David <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 04:25 AM
Anna

All Michealangelo's for me too: <BR>Pieta <BR>David <BR>Prisoners

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 04:50 AM
Judy

Iwould like add to the great list: "Winged Victory" Paris

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 05:01 AM
Lori

In no particular order: <BR> <BR>David <BR>Pieta <BR>Le Penseur <BR>Venus de Milo <BR>Rodin's Gates of Hell <BR>The Kiss <BR>Madonna and Child <BR>Burgers of Calais <BR>Moses <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 05:21 AM
elvira

Once again, no special order: <BR> <BR>Moses <BR>Pieta <BR>Venus de Milo <BR>The Thinker <BR>David

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 06:22 AM
Jean Valjean

Besides the obvious (Moses,David,Pieta) what about: <BR> <BR>Donatello's Judith,Mary Magdalene,David <BR>Michelangelo's Baccus <BR>Laoconte in the Vatican...

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 06:26 AM
s.fowler

What about Bernini's -- Daphne and Apollo. It's someplace in Rome I think. been almost 40 years since I saw it last [I think I need a trip to Italy]

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 07:41 AM
gina

Does it have to be standing up on a pedestal? I thought the sculptures of Night and Day, Dawn and Dusk in the Medici Chapel were breathtaking.

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 08:03 AM
Gina

I'd like to add a dark horse: the statue of Queen Boudicca in her chariot that stands near Westminster Bridge and the Houses of Parliament in London. It loses some of its dramatic effect since souvenir salesmen tend to put up their stands directly at the base, but it's a truly powerful and vibrant piece of work.

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 08:23 AM
Phil

1. Sammartino's Cristo velato, Sansevero chapel, Naples. <BR>2. Michelangelo's Pietà, St. Peter's Basilica, the Vatican <BR>3. Rodin's Burghers of Calais <BR>4. Giacommetti's Striding Men <BR>5. The Prince of the World, Basel Cathedral <BR> <BR>(only 5??!, what a pity) <BR> <BR>Phil.

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 09:03 AM
Paulo

Bernini's most famous masterpiece is displayed in Museo Borghese (my preferred one in Rome), Sarah. Two other outstanding Bernini works are also displayed there: Pluto & Persefone and his David. And there's a 4th one: though one could hardly justify its inclusion in a top list, the vivid immage of Canova's Pauline Bonaparte/Borghese will follow me to my grave. When my parents took me to the museum at age 10, the mattress looked so real that I had to touch it to make sure it was made of marble ... and a guy soon jumped all over me: "si prega di non tocare" <BR> <BR>On the top of my list (way above any other) rests Michelangelo's Moses, though. I've been introduced also at age 10 and since then I never failed to pay him a visit when in town. If Michelangelo were allowed to complete his work for Julius II tomb in San Pietro in Vincoli as planned, I would bet it would be visited by just about everybody going to Rome (just try to mentalize the Julius II unfinished tomb, Leah and Rachel flanking Moses, the two outstanding slaves in the Louvre, the unfinished four slaves group in Florence's Accademia plus about 30 other sculptures of the same caliber to get the picture of what might have been!). As it is, relatively few people even know that there's such a jewell in this church. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. It's about time

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 09:17 AM
Uninformed

I am told there are no dumb questions, so please bear with me - just where is Michaelangelo's "Moses" located? I am not familiar with it. Thanks.

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 09:29 AM
howard

Michelangelo's Moses is located at San Pietro in Vincoli in Rome. <BR>And, it would on my top five list along with La Pieta, David, Winged Victory (probably because of where it's situated in the Louvre) and any of Bernini's major pieces in St. Peter's.

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 10:03 AM
Tammy

In no particular order: <BR> <BR>1) David <BR>2) Prisoners, especially the ones in Florence <BR>3) Pieta <BR>4) Winged Victory <BR>5) Venus de Milo <BR> <BR>Haven't been the the Rodin Museum in Paris yet, but I plan to go on my trip to Paris in 3 weeks. I heard at one time that The Thinker was on tour, is this still true?

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 10:31 AM
Judy

Paulo; I agree with you, that Canova's Pauline-Bonaparte Borghese in The Galleria Borghese, was breathtaking. For some unknown reason that affected me too! She was beautiful, yes? Judy

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 11:54 AM
Al Godon

I suppose it depends on just which aspect of sculpturing you dwell on. <BR>If functionality is on the list of criteria, then I thought the statue in Salzburg at Schloss Hellbrunn that wet people when they were not looking was quite effective. <BR> <BR>If capturing the full expression of the subject is a criteria, then Rodin's bust of Clemanceau (white marble) is very effective. It makes Clemanceau look like a Mongolian warrior, complete with mustache and top knot. Clemanceau hated it; in fact I have heard he pitched a bourgeoise fit. After Versailles, I doubt if the Germans disagreed.

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 12:08 PM
wes fowler

In no order, <BR>Rodin's Burghers of Calais <BR>Rodin's Balzac <BR>Rodin's Danaid <BR>Michelangelo's David <BR>Michelangelo's Madonna and Child (in Brugge) <BR>Rollo (Roland) in Bremen

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 03:04 AM
Karen

As a Bernini fan, I must add to this list his breathtakingly erotic sculpture of Santa Teresa at the church of Santa Maria della Vittoria in Rome. And Paulo, I loved hearing about your reaction to the statue of Paolina Borghese. I first saw it back in the 70's with my (Italian) ex-husband. We were all alone in her room, in the pre-renovation Villa Borghese, with just a silk cord around the statue. He couldn't resist, either, but it wasn't the couch she lies on that he touched! I think the same guard as yours must have been on duty that day, because we got the same startled and firm admonition. My art history prof said that good sculpture begs to be touched--that's the point of it. Of course I know we can't do that, or the poor statues would have worn away long ago, but you should WANT to touch them, or the sculptor hasn't quite succeeded.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 07:00 AM
lisa

1. David <BR>2. Pieta <BR>3. Winged Victory <BR>4. Venus de Milo <BR>5. The Thinker

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -