Too much for 16 days?

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 10:27 AM
Lynda

Too much for 16 days?

We have planned the following:
Three days in Rome
Overnight in Assisi
Overnight in Sienna
Two nights in Lucca (Cinque Terre one day)
Two nights in Venice
One night in Bolanzo
Two nights in Innsbruck
One night in Erding (close to Munich airport

This leaves one night to fit in somewhere. Probably Sunday night after leaving Innsbruck going towards Munich.
We have been to Venice before and really wanted a little more time there. We have a car and will be driving after Rome. Is this too much? What would you do differently? We will stop in some of the hill towns along the way. Really looking forward to this trip. We have been to Europe several times and always try to pick another region to explore. We always end up in Germany since my husband is a student of the German language.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 10:39 AM
Surlok

Lynda,

Just wondering... why two nights in Innsbruck?? Or why Innsbruck and not only Bolzano, or the other way round?? I assume you're traveling by car.. It seems a pretty much rushed itinerary, but then I'm a middle aged, slower pace type of traveler...

Surlok

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 10:55 AM
bettyk

I would propose staying in Salzburg or a very beautiful little town southwest of Salzburg called Hallstatt instead of Innsbruck. I think the Salzburg area has much more to offer. I think the rest of your itinerary sounds fine. Very similar (pace-wise) to what we are planning for next spring. Have a great time.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:14 AM
Rex

I wouldn't say ABSOLUTELY "too much" - - but very likely too much.

For starters, I don't get the same math you do - - to get 16 days, I have to count day "zero" (leaving the USA), and leave Rome on day FOUR (or day 5, using your numbering system); am I missing something?

Let's start with Rome; you arrive on day ONE, if you are departing on day three, then you only have ONE good FULL day, even reasonably rested to enjoy Rome (TWO if you are leaving the morning of day four). If you have never been to Italy before, you may be turned off by Rome's intensity the first 24 hours (jet lag contributes to that), so I hope you really are staying there for night three.

Then your next four nights look too whirlwind, since there are really four destinations (three places to sleep) - - and NO Florence? hmmm... to each his/her own, I guess. Even if it's just sampling - - Umbria, Tuscany and the Cinque Terre in five(? or is it really four?) days and four nights is too much. Pick two, not three. After all, these are not one-stop provinces - - getting lost in the countryside of all three areas is just as enjoyable as the "Basilicas" or "Palazzos".

The one thing my experience tells me is that somewhere in the 4-8 day range on a 16 day trip - - you will need (and people usually take it, whether they want it or not) - a "down" day - - when you just decide to forget any and all plans, and have "a vacation from your trip". You are particularly vulnerable to not be able to do this with the business from day 4 to 8. You might end up collapsing during half of your 48 hours (or less?) in Venice - - and you said you wanted to see more if Venice!

Two nights in Venice can also mean really just one full day there - - especially if you are arriving there from as far away as Lucca. Maybe better to stay somewhere IN the Veneto (Verona? Padova? Vicenza?) the night before Venice so that you can actually have your arrival day in Venice as well.

And the last four nights (or five, counting thr unassigned night) are cutting into your "Italian experience" - - but you already know that, I suppose. I have never been to Bolzano, but I have driven from Venice to Verona to Bassano del Grappa to Innsbruck to Munich, and these distances are relatively short; in fact you could stay in Innsbruck your last night and still make almost any morning flight out of Munich airport. You realize, I suppose, that you will have to pay a (substantial?) surcharge dropping your Italian car in Germany.

This is all meant as CONSTRUCTIVE, not harping, nagging nor putdowns.

I think you actually have a pretty good idea on what the two of you want and need, and you will undoubtedly have a good trip.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 12:20 PM
Lynda

Thanks Rex for your thoughts. We were in Florence for several days on one of our earlier trips. We have been to Venice before and just want to relive a little of that experience. It was soooo wonderful. We are staying three nights in Rome. We think that will be enough of the big city for us. We are flexible on the two nights in Lucca. Possibly only one and will use that day somewhere in the Hill towns. After we leave Venice our time will be more flexible since we will only have a reservation the night before we fly home. We love the Tyrol area. In answer to the other response, we have been to Salzburg several times and also have been to Hallstatt. (The bones in the chapel were something else!)

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 12:28 PM
bettyk

If you've been to Salzburg and Hallstatt, then maybe you would enjoy the Bodensee (Lake Constance). Lindau is a lovely town (island)right on the lake. It is a very large lake so there are some other lovely towns worth a visit also.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 12:32 PM
Lynda

We have been to the Bodenese. It is truly a lovely area. The towns along the lake are so pretty. We have been to this area many times and are not really looking for anything new in this area. We feel like we are home when we back to Austria and southern Germany. We are mainly interested in opinions about the Italian part of our journey.
Thanks. Lynda

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 01:18 PM
Surlok

Lynda,

Lucca is not that interesting ( although still interesting) that is worth to stay there for two nights ( or days). If it's for logistical reasons, to drive up to Cinque Terre from there, then, it's another perspective. The drive Lucca/Venice is long, we made it once. I don't really know if doing it from La Spezia or Portovenere, just in case you make your mind up to stay there one night, would be shorter. maybe it is..

Surlok

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 01:34 PM
Ed

It's too much for 16 days, in my humble opinion. And, frankly, you don't seem to have 16 days scheduled. At least we don't count travel days as worth very much.

You've grossly shortchanged Rome, unless you have the desire to only skim the tip of the iceberg. See www.twenj.com/romesights.htm for our idea of a fairly minimum visit.

For every day in which we travel we count ourselves as having lost at least half a productive day doing things associated with pulling up stakes and moving on. You may want to see how much time yoú're spending on enjoying the food, sights and people, and how much time on just moving about.

To each his own, but, frannkly, your trip looks like it's high on overhead, low on fun.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 01:37 PM
gb

Sounds good --If it were my choice I would go to Lucca but stay on the CT coast and I too would Stay in Hall--You would love the coast at night when it is quiet

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 02:15 PM
Diane

Your itinerary sounds a bit ambitious. For one thing, it is a pain always moving from one hotel to another, constantly unpacking and repacking. After a while of this type of travel I have difficulty finding anything in my luggage. Fewer moves and more daytrips are always preferrable. Just my two cents.

I am planning a trip for next June to Bolzano with a friend because her mother lives there. We also plan to spend several days in each Venice and the Lake areas. Until a few weeks ago I never heard of Bolzano. Can anyone tell me a bit about it? I've read up a little and can see that it is scenic and has lots of castles. Any comments?