Too much europe..too little time

Jan 13th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Den

Too much europe..too little time

We will be in Eur. in Feb, traveling with our 17 and 22 year old sons. We are flying in and out of London in order to see another son in school there. would like to make it to Rome, my husband has never been there, and maybe work our way back to Paris and London by train or car via Florence and Venice, oh, the only catch...we have about 8-9 days to work with. Should be easy enough!?

Jan 13th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Bill

8-9 days? No, don't go to Rome only to travel all the way back up to London. If you want to FLY from London to Rome and back, it might be worthwhile, but if you drive or take the train all the way back, that is too little time.

Try spending your time in Paris, or maybe Ireland. I don't know, maybe you've already been there. But give yourself time to enjoy yourself.

Jan 13th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Gina

Um...please tell me you're kidding?

If you're not, then I can't imagine how you could possibly achieve this itinerary in 8-9 days unless you spend all your time in the car or train.

Are your priorities Paris and Rome? That's the sense I get from your post; it sounds as if London is on the itinerary primarily in order to see your son. If that's the case, then maybe you'd want to try an open-jaws flight into London and out of Rome or vice versa, and then travel from London to Rome via Paris (again, or vice versa) during your 8-9 days. Even that, really, is quite a lot. The only way I'd say those three cities are doable in 8-9 days is if you've been to at least one before and can limit yourself to one or two days in that city (is that the case with London)?

I've also always found that each person you add to a traveling party exponentially adds to how much time it takes you to do things and go places.

Jan 14th, 2001, 08:37 AM
J. D. H.

You are planning to cover far too much territory in a short time. You will be spending all your time enduring transportationa nd will then wonder why you hate Europe.

Jan 14th, 2001, 09:44 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Den, If you are serious then ask yourself if you would plan a trip to the USA for a European friend and send them to Boston, New York, Miami, and then hit Charleston on the way back.
You cannot even do the Italy segment in that time--you cannot be serious !

Jan 14th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Den

Ok, I knew it wasn't REALLY doable, so..Paris, england, and maybe Ireland more realistic? What interesting towns are near London...some Roman ruins maybe..open to suggestions for this mixed group:2 in their 40's and 2 under 24?

Jan 14th, 2001, 08:08 PM
good night

Saint Albans!!! (near London, Roman ruins)

Jan 15th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Ang

Why not consider flying into Rome or Paris and having the son who is in London meet up with you. That way you will be able to see your son and spend time with him as well as see the two cities that you really want to see without spening the entire trip in the car/train. If he is still in school and can't miss any days, maybe he can just meet you for the weekend. Just a thought.

Jan 15th, 2001, 10:01 AM
elvira

Excellent idea, Ang. If you limit yourself to Paris/Rome, have your son meet you in Paris for a weekend. You can take an overnight train from Paris>Rome to save time. An open-jaw to Paris/from Rome will make the trip doable, but hectic. As someone pointed out, it will be like seeing Miami and NYC on an 8-day trip.
If you must do London, then skip Paris and fly to Rome, if you can get the open jaw into London/out of Rome.