tolls in Switzerland, France and Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving between France, Germany and Switzerland this May. I am sure we will encounter some tolls. Are we able to pay then, do we need to get something from the rental agency to pay the tolls or something else. Any feedback will be appreciated.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 06:24 AM

For france you pay at the toll itself.
For Switzerland you need a sticker. You can get from the rental or at the border.
For Germany only the trucks have to pay. Never encountered a toll. However you need a sticker that proves your car is not too much polluting - in specific areas.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 06:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You must (repeat must) get the sticker at the border. Police loiter at some borders to pick you up

If you drift into say Austria as well you need a sticker.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 08:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You only need the Swiss vignette if you use the freeways, so it really depends how much driving you are planning to do in Switzerland. For example, I would not bother with a vignette if I were just going to Geneva and Lausanne, and I would stick to the excellent normal roads along the lake. If you are crossing the whole country, it is better to have one.

Some rental cars already have a Swiss vignette on them, purchased by a previous renter. If you pick up your rental vehicle from the airport or a big train station, you can ask the staff if they have any cars with vignettes on them already.

Only about half of the autoroutes in France require tolls. Check this map that shows all of the free autoroutes in green: http://www.cartes-2-france.com/carte...e-routiere.php
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much, I appreciate all of your help, it makes traveling independently so much more enjoyable!