Reload this Page >

Toledo, Spain Hotels

Search

Toledo, Spain Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 12:44 PM
Ann

Toledo, Spain Hotels

I will be travelling to Spain in May. We will probably stay in Toledo for 1 or 2 nights. I can't decide whether to stay at the Parador or at the Hostal del Cardenal. Can anyone help me make my decision? Also, if I stay at the Parador, how hard is it to get to downtown Toledo? Thanks for any help!

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 02:02 PM
Maira

I would stay at the Hostal del Cardenal. Toledo is best savored with lesser crowds and staying in the old city gives you the flexibility of walking out the door to explore at leisure.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 04:01 PM
Maribel

Ann,<BR>I would also suggest the Hostal del Cardenal. I've stayed both places: at the Parador, 2 km above the city in the Cigarrales district, with those unparalled views that El Greco painted in his famous canvas, &quot;Vista de Toledo&quot;, when just &quot;passing through&quot; on the way to the south in the heat of the summer (Parador has pool) and not having much time to sightsee, and then at the very Old World Cardenal with friends who had never been to Toledo and wanted to see as many of the incredible art treasures as possible that the city affords. I would say the Cardenal is more convenient and just plain practical for the first time visitor. If you stay at the Parador, you'll have to taxi back and forth. The Cardenal is actually tucked into the medieval ramparts, adjacent to the Bisagra Gate. For sightseeing, rather than suffer a steep uphill walk by going right, when you exit the Cardenal, just take a left and walk down the promenade a bit and you'll see a &quot;people mover&quot; escalator which will take you quickly to the upper city where you can start your touring. (Not many visitors realize that this escalor is there). There is a small public parking lot right in front of the Cardenal, but if it's full (usually fills up by mid-morning), just drop off your bags at the hotel, then drive on down the Paseo de Recaredo past the roundabout called the Glorieta de la Reconquista, and down just a bit on your right you'll see an underground parking garage. <BR>The last time we stayed at the Cardenal, we parked here, as there were no spaces available in the small lot in front of the hotel. <BR><BR>You'll enjoy the Cardenal, I'm sure. It's an antique-filled, 3-tiered, 18th century former archbishop's mansion with quaint and very peaceful rooms, lots of cozy nooks and crannies for relaxing, public rooms filled with tapestries, porcelains, oil paintings, plus trickling fountains in the pretty, formal gardens and a lovely restaurant which is owned by the same family that owns the famous Sobrinos de Botin in Madrid. It's a wonderful, romantic place to dine on the terrace at night and enjoy their hearty Castilian fare, such as roast lamb and suckling pig. The Cardenal serves a continental plus breakfast in a small breakfast room in the hotel itself, not equal to those wonderful Parador buffet breakfasts, but adequate. <BR>I would, however, take a taxi ride up to the Parador for a pre or post dinner drink to soak in those incredible views, or maybe dinner on the terrace there for your second night-this way you can enjoy them both.<BR>

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 04:04 PM
Paula

We stayed at the Hostal del Cardenal and loved it! I don't know anything about the Parador (it's probably very nice too), but the Hostal del Cardenal is walking distance to many sights (including the Cathedral) and the rooms were large and bathrooms all marble, the grounds were wonderful--gardens and fountains, and the views were terrific and it's very reasonably priced. Also, there's a good restaurant on the grounds. I'd stay there again!

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 04:53 PM
Patrick

While I'm a big fan of many of the paradors, the one in Toledo was too far removed from &quot;the action&quot; for my tastes, so I too stayed at the Hostal del Cardenal. I loved it. Not only was the room atmospheric, but dinner was wonderful at their restaurant.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 05:38 PM
Graziella

Hello Ann, I would agree that this particular Parador doesn t have the ideal location.<BR>This year we stayed in a very pleasant hostal called Hostal Santo TOme, is totally new, very good location. . It is not charming, but has everything, a nice ample room, with air c. a big white marble bath, cable tv, phone, everything. And it was only 52 euros for a double.<BR>They were very kind and helpful.<BR>Location was excellent next to Santo TOme.<BR>Usually we stay in Paradores or 3 to 4 stars hotels , this time we enjoyed staying there ....

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:16 AM
Pat

Will be touring spain June 2003 and staying a couple of nights in Toledo. Was interested in Hostal Santo Tome but does it have a car park?

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 04:47 AM
Maira

Pat, before this thread gets too buried, I would suggest you check their website http//www.hostalsantotome.com. (it is in Spanish); their e-mail is: [email protected] At their website they specify you can drop your belongings at the door and direct your vehicle to their secured parking facilities about 100 meters from the hotel. Graziella, I know you guys drove, was this your experience?<BR><BR>Hope this helps. Have a great time planning!

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:14 AM
Graziella

Hi Maira and Ann, thank you Maira for saving me the trouble to find the address of Hostal Santo TOme. <BR> (I believe the San Tome is near the Hotel Cardenal. )<BR>There is a parking 2 to 3 blocks away and the guy was so sweet to drive with my husband to the parking park. IT is aprox.10 usa per day.<BR>The hostal e- mailed us excellent directions to get there.Be sure to take them with you.<BR> Being located in the heart of the old town, the street is at times blocked by a &quot;mojon&quot; or a little column that goes in and out. I walked a few feet to the Hostal' to let them know we had arrived and they opened the street for us.My husband waited in the car. It only took a few minutes.<BR>It is good to know that the owners of the hostal own the next door shop this is good because the hostal's elevator goes from the frist floor on.<BR>Upon arrival and departure you can get in and out from the store because the elevator goes to the ground floor there..<BR>The son of the owners a young Engineer student was very helpful.<BR>Our short call to the States amounted to so little that he told us, I am not going to charge you for this. <BR>(Very Spanish approach to life)<BR>Have a great time.<BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:38 AM
Leslie

Can anyone tell me if the Hostal del Cardenal is within walking distance of the train station or even a short cab ride? I'm considering staying there, but if it is too far to walk to in order to sightsee in Toledo, it might not be worth making a reservation.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:02 AM
Maira

Leslie, If I recall correctly, I don't think the bus or train station are within the city walls, but outside. A short cab ride from the station to Puerta de Bisagra may be your best bet to approach the Hostal. Once at the Hostal you are within walking distance to all mayor sights. Toledo's old city is very walkable, but true to its Moorish origins, it is a maze. I do remember the uphill street that Maribel mentioned on to the Alcazar, we had no idea about the escalator! The Hostal Santo Tome is further south from Puerta de Bisagra. A suggestion, once you have visited the Church of Santo Tome (El Greco's masterpiece is exhibited there), head out to Museo Victorio Macho (interesting sculptures), from there walk towards Puente San Martin by following the town's walls above the River Tajo. Awesome pictures.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:42 AM
Maribel

Leslie,<BR>As Maira says, both the train and bus station are well outside the city walls.<BR>The bus station is in the northeast section of the modern town, about a 15 min. up hill hike to the center.<BR>The train station, an elaborate Mudejar styled building (worth of a visit in its own right!) is located about 1 1/2 miles from Toledo's center (a very steep 25 min.? hike), but you can take bus 5 or 6 to the Puerta de Bisagra gate (where you'll find the Cardenal and the tourist office) or just take a taxi. To get from the Cardenal to the Plaza de Zocodovar to start your touring, you can just walk up (steep walk but not that far) or just take the people mover/escalator (new as of '99) which you'll find just down the Paseo de Recaredo, to your left at the Arab Walls. <BR> <BR>If you decide to stay at the Hostal de Santo Tome, you'll be right next to the Iglesia de Santo Tome, where you can see that El Greco masterpiece, the Burial of Count Orgaz, and be right in the heart of the sights, a stone's throw from the two synagogues, the Casa/Museo El Greco, the Cathedral, San Juan de los Reyes, Taller del Moro, etc. But the Hostal de Santo Tome is quite, quite far from the Bisagra gate. If you opt for the Santo Tome, I would just take a taxi from the train (or bus) station rather than taking the city bus to the Plaza de Zocodovar and lugging your bags down in the labryinth that is Toledo to the hostal.<BR><BR>Email for the Cardenal:<BR>[email protected]<BR>www,cardenalmaco m.es<BR>The nicest rooms there are those facing the gardens or the couryard (numbers 207 and 111 are favorites), but it only has 27 rms and fills up very quickly.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:45 AM
Leslie

Thanks Maribel. I've come to realize that if I stay in Toledo, that I will have to backtrack to Madrid to catch the AVE to Seville. Seems that I might be better off just making a day trip to Toledo, and take the first train in the morning, and the last one back in the evening. That should still give me a good 10 hours in Toledo.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:20 AM
Ann

Thanks to everyone for their helpful insight into whether I should stay at the Parador or Hostel del Cardenal. I think the Hostel del Cardenal has won hands down! But I will try to sneak in a sunset drink the Parador to catch the view. Thanks again to all!

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Graziella

A friend has recently returned from Toledo and told me that the Hostal Santo Tome has secured parking spots in a nearby parking garage for their guests.<BR><BR>Although Ann is not going to stay there I thought someone might like to know this .

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:08 AM
AA

<BR>Maribel,<BR>Are you familiar with Pintor el Greco in Toledo?<BR>Thanks,<BR>AA

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Maribel

AA,<BR>Yes, I know the Pintor El Greco. It's located right in the middle of the Jewish quarter, near the Casa Museo El Greco, the synagogues, Iglesia de Santo Tome. It's a Karen Brown favorite and also in A. Sawday's Special Places to Stay/Spain, the Hunter Rivage Hotels of Charm plus Penelope Casas' Discovering Spain, and a member of the Estancias de Espana group, a kind of &quot;poor man's Parador&quot;. I've found most of the Estancias hotels nice, quite affordable and dependable. www.estancias.com<BR>After the Hostal del Cardenal, it would be my second budget choice, only because I'm not yet personally familiiar with the Hostal de Santo Tome, but it too also sounds like a winner and a good tip, as usual, from Graziella.<BR>The Pintor El Greco has been favorably reviewed here. It's a former bakery, prettily decorated with interior patio and has does have Castilian charm. Also very popular, always full (tried to book it for a friend but was already filled with a small group on his date-manager was extremely nice on phone and thanked me for considering his hotel). I think it has a small prk. lot in front.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 11:18 AM
AA

<BR>Maribel,<BR>I want to thank you SO MUCH for all the advise you have given me with this trip. We are leaving tomorrow for 3 weeks in Spain. I used a lot of your recommendations. I am sure we will enjoy all of them. The only reason I didn't book the Hostal del Cardenal is that I have read it has lots of stairs and I had a bad accident a few years ago that makes it difficult for me to do all that climbing.<BR>Thanks again for being so nice!<BR>AA

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Maribel

AA,<BR>I wondered if you'd be leaving soon for Spain. We leave for la Rioja in just 6 days-hope for great weather for both your trip and ours!<BR>Yes, the Cardenal does have those 3 tiers of steps, and for those with back or walking problems, it's a bit of a chore to haul luggage up and down, and for those with children, I would choose the Pintor El Greco and ask for one of the 2 large family rooms in the attic. (for anyone else considering it, their own web site is www.hotelpintorelgreco.com, which gives detailed driving directions from different points in Spain to the hotel) <BR>I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The owners seem like very nice folks.<BR>And have a wonderful journey!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:06 AM
ttt

to the top for Gail who is looking for info on where to stay in Toledo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -