Toledo on a Sunday?

Search

Toledo on a Sunday?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toledo on a Sunday?

We plan to take two day trips on different days from Madrid. One trip will be to Toledo and the other to Segovia. One of these may be on a Sunday, and I am wondering if that will present difficulties with stores and attractions being closed. Although the train schedules for November are not published yet, am I correct in assuming that trains shouldn't be a problem on Sundays?
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 06:08 AM

All things tourist interest should be open and IMO Sunday is a great day for Toledo - as all the exquisitely decored churches revert to being churches alive with pious folks there for services than more like museums on other days.

There will be no problem with trains on Sundays - very frequent at any time of year. There are two types of trains to each - the new high-speed AVE-like trains and the older Cernianas (sp?) or commuter trains, which are dirt cheap but alas slower than the new ones.

If you have time you can get off on the commuter trains coming back at Aranjuez, the Spanish Versailles.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 07:09 AM

The AVANT is the only train serving Tolelo. And yes, you need to reserve ahead of time. Sunday is as busy as the weekdays.

The Cercanías does not go to Toledo or Segovia, but it does serve Aranjuez.

http://www.renfe.es/cercanias/madrid..._horarios.html
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 07:41 AM

We were recently in Toledo on a Sunday. We had no trouble whatsoever in any respect. We went to the train station early in the morning, bought ROUND TRIP tickets and the fast train took even less than the advertised 30 minutes. Once you get to Toledo, take any city bus which will take you up the VERY steep hill to the main square Plaza Zocodover. There is a tourist office right there, which you should visit, mostly because they will give you a great map and on the other side of the map, it tells you what attractions and places are open and at what times. This is very important because opening times and closing times are VERY varied for the various things you may want to see. For instance, I remember the cathedral was ONLY open in the afternoon on that day, etc.

In any case, it was a lovely day and a lovely visit.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 08:07 AM

The only downside to visiting Toledo on a Sunday is limited shopping, though some shops selling Toledo steel, damascene wares (well worth a look) and other souvenirs stay open. Ordinary shops remain shut, except cake shops selling the famous marzipan. Eating out is no problem.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, and going to Toledo on a Sunday fits great with our tentative schedule.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 10:24 AM

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...&rt=1&OK#focus

Well not sure it's called Cercanias or not but regional trains that are about the same ply the old Madrid-Segovia route very frequently - and as an alternate means of egress if you do not want to lock yourself into the mandatory reservations i believe are imposed by the AVE trains and are also a lot cheaper - and slower. See above sample schedule.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:10 AM

there indeed are no regional trains Madrid to Toledo, however says the bahn.de so AVANT or AVE or whatever is the only way.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM

Beejie,
About the trains:

to Toledo, as robert notes, the only trains running are the AVANT, which are, in essence, short distance AVEs.

to Segovia, these AVANT trains also run this route, along with a few Talgos and Alvias and go to the new purpose built station 4 km. outside of town, listed on Renfe as Segovia-Guiomar. This station was built for the Madrid-Valladolid AVE which in its first months made a stop in Segovia. Now the high speed Segovia trains are mostly AVANTS, which only run to Segovia and with the Alvias and Talgos continuing on to points north.

The round trip fare for both AVANT rides, to Toledo and Segovia, is 15.10.

Train tickets to Toledo really should be purchased at least a day or two in advance, since Toledo has become a "bedroom community" of Madrid with many commuting back and forth. Or better still, if you know your dates now, just purchase tix on line.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 12:28 PM

all these darn required reservations make it so you just can't pop into the station and hop on a train - high speed but high hassle as well - having to buy a ticket for Toledo a day in advance - and presumably pegging yourself into a set train at a set time - how long do you know you want to stay in Toledo? who knows? Bring back the old regional trains IMO and give a choice. Faster is not always better - and then to a remote station well out of Segovia - at least Toledo has saved the wonderful old Mudejar style station at the foot of the hill and not some remote station out in the desert.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Beejie,
In preparation for your Toledo visit, you might want to look at
www.toledo-turismo.com, which will give you the opening times, entrance fees to the various monuments and a little background.

The Alcázar is still closed-scheduled to re-open some time this year (possibly in the fall??) as the Military Museum.

The House-Museum of El Greco is also still closed for renovation with no scheduled reopening date thus far.

While folks can attend morning mass on Sundays in Toledo's cathedral, the visits to the cathedral's museums (treasury, choir, sacristy, etc.) are only allowed on Sunday from 2-6:30 pm. One enters via the Puerta Llana entrance after buying a ticket and renting an audio guide (if you wish) in the museum shop across the street.

If you're planning on a day trip to Segovia as well, the city buses (line 11) are timed to meet the trains at the new station.
It's only a 10 min. bus ride (2 intermediate stops on the route but usually nobody gets off), the ride costs 0.86, and the bus drops you off directly in front of the Aqueduct and just a few steps from the handy Visitors' Center, where you can pick up maps and brochures for your touring.

If you need more info on either city, you can download the Segovia or Toledo files in pdf on my travel page.
www.mariibelsguides.com
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM

OP did not mention Avila but for me that was even better than Segovia.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM

There is a special situation for services to Toledo, since Avant was introduced in 2005. It runs on standard gauge (1435 mm), so only Ave/Avant trains (or gauge-adjustable trains, like those running between Spain and France) can use the tracks to and from Toledo, as the old broad gauge (1668 mm - called Iberian gauge) tracks were removed with the coming of the new service.
Madrid - Segovia (and beyond) line on existing broad gauge tracks was retained when the new Ave Madrid-Valladolid line was opened late in 2007 (it doesn't follow the old line but is an entirely new one with long tunnel sections).
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM

And on those broad gauge tracks that were retained on the Madrid-Segovia route, the old Regional trains (in my mind pokey and not comfortable) still do run. But the trip takes two hours.
They cannot be booked online.
On the Times and Schedules page one can see both Segovia (regional trains) and Segovia-Guiomar (high speed trains) as options.

(One way fare is 6.20 with round trip at 9.92, with 20% discount).

But on the Purchase Tickets page,

https://w1.renfe.es/vol/

these old Regionals don't appear.

It's all a bit confusing.

But the old Segovia station is still quite far from the historic center, so one needs to take a city bus (line 8).

Since the inauguration of the high speed line to Segovia in Dec. '07, I have happily switched from my former mode of transport, La Sepulvedana bus (a 75-90 min. ride) to the new high speed train.

For Segovia it's not absolutely essential (yet....) to buy tix ahead of time, since the number of travelers (or commuters) to the city is not as great as to Toledo.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Does anybody consider or recommend a bus to and from Toledo, and if so, do you need to consider reservations the day before?
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 03:19 PM

nevertooold,
I don't recommend the bus, but the service still exists. The service is frequent, so I don't see the need for purchasing a ticket the day before. The company is Continental-Auto.

It's cheap and In theory the trip takes 50 min., but can take more, especially the return on Sunday late afternoon/evening with the traffic of those returning to the city from their weekend excursions.

The buses leave from the Estación Sur de Autobuses, metro Méndez Alvaro.

Here's the timetable
http://www.t-descubre.com/en/info/au...nos_toledo.php
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 01:27 PM

Hello, my name is María and I'm an official tourism guide in Toledo (Spain).
If you need me I would like to show you my beautiful city. I can speak: Spanish, English and French and a little of Chinese.
My phne number is: (00 34) 649 22 35 93.
My e- mailepipedro at yahoo .es

Thank you very much for your attention
Warm regards,
María