Toledo - 1st week of June

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toledo - 1st week of June

I will be traveling to Spain and Portugal with my husband and in laws. I read that the main attraction in Toledo (Alcazar) is under maintenance and closed to the public.

So I though that would be better if we spend a day in Ronda instead of Toledo, since Ronda is far south and we will be driving from Sevilla to Madrid (passing through Granada and Cordoba); Toledo is very close to Madrid and would be better if we visit after the maintenance in another occasion...

My in laws are not sure they will have another opportunity to go..

What would you do?
Do you know if Toledo's Alcazar will be opened to the public by early June?

Even having the Alcazar closed is it worth a visit to Toledo instead of Ronda?

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 05:05 PM
yk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ttt
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 08:02 AM
yk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ttt again
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 03:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toledo is the highlight of toledo. There are many things to see there, including the Alcazar, Transito Synogogue, El Catedral. But it is city iself that is the draw. Spend a night there, it is especially magical after the day trippers leave. I would arrive late afternoon, spend the night, see the sights in the am, and then continue on. You won't be disappointed.

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 02:51 AM
car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I consider the Alcazar in Toledo a secondary building, certantly to the Cathedral , the sinagogue, the new ( redone) serfadi museum, the house of EL Greco. And others that don't come to my mind.
Toledo the city itself is a great visit.
So do not worry to much if the Alcazar is not openned.
If your choice is Ronda-Toledo for sure go to Toledo.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 03:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't miss taking a cab to the Parador, for a sunset glass of Fino with that famous view . . .

Would also definitely recommend staying there, we just taxi'd back & forth to the center of town - there was a wedding taking place when we were staying at the Parador & that made it even more romantic & special.
hth
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 03:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a day trip to Toledo last month from Madrid, and I'd say it is worth going to even though the Alcazar was closed. I wandered around the narrow streets and explored all day, and had a great time. There are lots of other things to visit there besides the Alcazar.

Having said that, I also spent 2 nights in Ronda, and it was, I think, my favorite town on my trip, and I hit all of the ones you mentioned. I fell in love with the little old town and the views of the gorge.

It's a tough choice, I guess it depends on what you expect out of the towns.

It also depends on how much time you have and the route you are taking. You say you are going from Sevilla to Madrid passing through Granada and Cordoba, but Granada is no where near any of the other towns, so "passing through" is not really accurate - it's really a 3 1/2 hour detour east from Sevilla.

Karen
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 03:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
" I read that the main attraction in Toledo (Alcazar)"

Alcazar? The main attraction in Toledo is the cathedral. In fact, Toledo is one big attraction and not to be missed. Ronda is nice, but there is no comparison.

Also, driving among Madrid, Seville, Toledo and Cordoba is crazy when the train is so fast and easy.

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You all helped a lot!!!
Thanks!