Reload this Page >

To Tunis or not to Tunis

Search

To Tunis or not to Tunis

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:36 PM
Michael

To Tunis or not to Tunis

Four of us will spending a week in Malaga in October. Had cosidered a day trip to Tunis, but the feedback seems to be quite negative. <BR> <BR>For those who enjoyed, what was the attraction? Thanks for the information. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 03:06 PM
K Tindal

I think a trip ti Tunis would depend on how much time you had and the ease in getting there. There is Carthage and it's museum if you are into that. Also there is a souk if you want to bargain and get lost in the maze. South of Tunis is where The English Patient was filmed in the desert. There is also a small town where all the doors are blue, it is quite charming but again be prepared to bargain and be hustled. This can be very crowded when cruise ships are in port. We were there in Sept and it was very hot. Have a great trip.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 06:23 AM
Gina

I absolutely loved Tunisia when I was there in January, but the city of Tunis was probably my least favorite part of the country. If you take a day trip, I'd recommend checking out the medina (what K. refers to as a souk) and enjoying a few of the pastry offerings along Avenue Habib Bourguiba (which should be freshly redone for the Mediterranean games, right now it's torn up). Then...either go to the fabulous Bardo Museum, a bit out of town, or take some time to see a bit of the Carthage site (the Byrsa Hill location is the most interesting) and the beautiful little village of Sidi Bou Said, which resembles Greece in its blue-and-white beauty. <BR> <BR>My favorite thing about Tunisia is the people--among the most hospitable I've ever met--but in Tunis, unlike the rest of the country, I found it difficult to meet people without feeling a bit like "prey." (Of course, I was a solo female.) If you had more time, I'd suggest a visit to the holy city of Kairouan or the fascinating desert south, but that won't do for a day trip!

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 11:39 PM
gar

hi there, <BR>last sentence of Gina grought it on a point. You will do a daytrip from Malaga to Tunis. There is a 1.5 hour flight, the same back. You will have 1 hour on the airport, You will have a half to to city. When do You think You have time to visit. The Bardo museum will take You half an hour more (each way) and 2 to look at. The medina also will catch You for 2 hours. I think it is too long time to go there, too less to have a real look at the city. <BR>Anyway, have fun

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 09:57 AM
Pam

I spent 2 weeks in Carthage and loved it. Carthage is an easy tram ride from Tunis--but not if you are as time-pressed as it would seem. Tunis is a fascinating city and has the best bazaar (souks) I have ever seen (and I've been to Morocco and Egypt). The Bardo Museum has the best collection of Roman mosaics. You need to ask yourself how much time you'd have and what you want to see. A day trip might not be feasible.