To read before a trip to France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions of novels or history etc. that would be good to read before a May trip?
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 01:34 PM

http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....26&start=0
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 01:55 PM

One of the recommendations from the referenced thread is from Anthony (?) Powell and I quote :

"Seven Ages of Paris by Alistair Horn would be a good read. It is not a mere history book. It is full of color, personality, charm on how incomparable Paris got to be Paris."

You couldn't get a better insight into the Parisian psyche.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Ernest Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast"
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 03:17 PM

"Everybody Was so Young," the story of Gerald and Sara Murphy and their association with the F. Scott Fitzgeralds and the Hemingways in the 1920's, primarily on the Côte d'Azur. Fascinating reading and good background for literary Paris in those days.

Also, the Peter Mayle books about his adventures in the Lubéron.

Polly Platt's "French or Foe" for excellent information on French social customs.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 03:28 PM

There are so many good books. The Seven Ages of Paris is wonderful. I recently read a book called "Almost French" by Sarah Turnbull which was quite entertaining. "Savour Faire" is good too. I've become addited to a series of murder Mysteries by Cara Black. Alot of people like "Paris to the moon" Hope these ideas help.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Suzanne2, I just looked at Cara Black's website and her new book will be published March 15.

I read just one of her books, Murder in the Marais, and decided it was one too many. To each his own.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 01:04 AM

There's a web site called Total France which has on its message board a whole thread on just this subject. Well worth a look
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 03:37 AM
AR

I found the novel "A year in the Merde" by Stephen Clarke extremely entertaining. It will strike a chord with anyone that has been to France a lot or has business dealings. Apparently he wrote it to amuse his friends on the internet but the French loved it and it got published. It just proves that the French can laugh at themselves as it is very rude about them (but in a "nice" way!!).
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 04:53 AM

Lot's of good suggestions, but you can't do better than "The Seven Ages of Paris". It will give you insights into the culture, historical background and context for all the buildings and areas you will see. Not only in Paris, but much of the rest of France. Engrossing reading. It reads like someone is talking to you as you stroll around the city through the ages. Everyone I know who has read it (including me) couldn't put it down. And these are people who NEVER read non-fiction.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank youaall--can't wait to first hit the library to see if they have any of the books by chance--course today is Sunday and they are closed--here in the County--and tomorrow is President's day so once again they are closed. How did Sheila connect with France? I thought you were in Scotland? Hope you got my belated Thank you
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Unfortunately, "A Year in the Merde," which sounds like a lot of fun, isn't yet available in the US. I just looked it up on Amazon, and see that it's due to be published here in May.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 09:52 PM

There are a series of books called "Traveler's Tales." Two of interest to you are France and Paris.

The "tales" are short essays or exerpts from longer works that are about a particular part of French/Parisian culture. Lots of fun to read and most of the "tales" are 3 to 10 pages long.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:44 AM

We holiday there- we have a share of a house in the South West. I am allowed to travel myself, amn't I?
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Hit the library and not one find so will have tohit our bookstore at the mall tomorrow and see if anything is in print here for them to order. Yes, Sheila can have a vacation. Just came from taking my grandson to the Scottish games and he (10 ) was able to sample a children's form of the games. It was fun to go after a triip to Scotland--last year we went just before.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Napoleon Bonaparte by Alan Schrom... gives you a feel for what happened to France 200 years ago and how the Louve got most of it collection. Also, Mont Saint Michel and Chartres by Henry Adams. The book gives you a feel for the Medieval mind of the French. OJ
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:13 PM

"The French Way" by Ross Steele isn't a novel or a history, but a quick read of the customs and quirks of the French people and their way of life, and I recommend it. You should be able to find it on the shelves at Borders or Barnes & Noble in the travel section, in paperback. I found and read this book prior to a recent, third trip to France, and it explained a lot about manners, customs and attitudes that gave me greater understanding and patience in dealing with all things French.