To lock or not to lock ... luggage.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all - *are* there luggage locks that are appoved internationally, or are they just for use in US airports?
Second - DH feels that a lock on a suitcase is a red flag for (the few) unscrupulous baggage handlers. Any thoughts on these 2 points would be appreciated.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 04:47 AM

I don't lock suitcases.. nothin' but ordinary clothes in there.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 04:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If I have to check my carry-on for some reason (usually don't check a bag) I just use a cable tie. It secures the bag a bit and then I can cut it w/ my nail clippers on arrival.

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 05:11 AM

I always lock my cases - heard too many stories about stuff going missing. Not that I'd put anything valuable in my case but I don't like the idea of anyone going through it. I've recently seen "US approved" locks for sale in the UK but believe this is only an issue for those travelling to/from the US.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 05:20 AM

I value locks.

Zipper locks are less crucial to me, though I have them. But on my larger, hardside bag that gets to fly only now and then (an Atlantic made of plastic that seems as sturdy as a new car), the locks serve the purpose of keeping the bag closed when (not if) it is dropped or thrown. I don't want latches to spring open, so I've always had the habit of locking them, going back to my first Samsonite. It's not just a question of theft.

That said, friends of mine have had items disappear from bags enroute. The strangest may have been a blazer - or not strange at all if it happened to be the right size ...

The problem with locks today is the search issue. If you've passed through all the checkpoints with your carryon unlocked for examination, should you lock it on the plane? Well, if it's a "sleepover" flight there could be security in that. Also, consider using the zipper locks on train travel - it's very easy for someone to unzip, slip a hand in for whatever is in reach, and move to another car while you are in the restroom or dozing.

More relevant, since checked baggage is now subject to random search, will locking it lead to random latch-breaking by security? As said, I principally want that bag to be locked tight so the goods stay inside, not scattered across a runway or the carousel. I guess I'll have to check on guidelines before I use it again.

Lastly, I sometimes lock things up in my bag in my hotel room. Especially if there is no in-room safe. But even then, some items might go in the bag before I leave for the day, and it will sit - locked - in the back of the closet. Sometimes this is as benign as ephemera from the trip: receipts, ticket stubs, brochures - things I want to be sure don't get mistaken for trash. Sometimes it's new purchases, or things I just don't want cluttering up the room. The neater the room, the less likely things are to disappear, by whatever means.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last month, a group of us were in Lisbon. We brought our suitcases to the Lisbon airport. Two suitcases were unlocked and one was locked. All three were searched through and a bit of money was stolen. The lock was missing on the locked suitcase.

Moral? Don't trust airport employees. And don't put anything of much value or money into your suitcase, locked or unlocked.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I should have been more specific. I meant to ask if international airports (say, CDG, for instance) have "universal" keys that open locks which are approved for use by US airports. I've looked at a lot of locks & none mention Euro/non-US use. I'd rather not lock than have a Euro-inspector break it off, & damage the case (superficially)in the process. Like tomassocroccante, I tend to lock my case in the hotel to keep track of paperwork & to secure new purchases that could attract attention.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 05:56 AM

I've thought of writing the simple (3 number) combination on a piece of tape next to the lock on my big bag, so an inspector could open it if necessary. Then rip off the tape on arrival, replace it later, etc.

Key locks are another matter - I haven't heard about any standards. BUT, check out these sites:
http://www.christinecolumbus.com/products.asp?pID=971
Is a sales site for "TSA" locks - not Transportation Security, but Travel Sentry. Combination lock with "master keys" supposedly in the hands of inspectors, who can unlock when needed. But will they replace the lock?!
http://www.safeskieslocks.com/
Also claims that "inspectors are trained to look for locks with our symbol." How many keys are baggage inspectors carrying, and do they really keep them sorted?
http://www.masterlocktsa.com/apps/tsa/tsa-approved.jsp
The well-known Master lock company also uses the Travel Sentry symbol - and they have keyed locks as well.

This doesn't answer your question as to whether European screeners have the keys! My question is, who else has the keys who shouldn't?
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:00 AM

Like janisj, I've converted to using cable ties as someone suggested in a prior thread. I put them on ALL of the zippers on a soft-sided suitcase. Didn't have a problem going to South Africa in January--none of them were cut. And I take a bunch with me to use for return and/or extra flights.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:03 AM
ira

Hi C,

As best I know, European Security does not have universal keys to TSA-approved locks.

I believe that this question was asked, not too long ago (since I still seem to remember it), and the answer was "no".

Luggage locks, like cable ties, will discourage the casual thief, but not the pros. They just snip off the lock.

We use cable ties for airplanes (pros) and locks on trains (amateurs).

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Cable ties or bits of string to secure a bag aren't that hard to open for a thief, but they can reduce the chance of accidental opening or the casual, amateur "bag dipper."
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:12 AM

I definitely say "lock." The FSA has approved locks to use on bags on planes - I got mine at radio shack. Last fall, my husband and I took a train from Cerbere to Nice and three people got robbed at night when they slept! A friend of mine had her digital camera stolen out of her bag while she was at Rome Airport. The thieves don't have time to snip a lock on a train or in an airport- they have to work fast, and if they see a lock, they'll move on.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:13 AM

We always use TSA approved locks with a combination for us and a key entry for inspectors. Here is what one "expert" says:
<<a TSA lock is better than no lock, says Kevin Coffey, a Los Angeles police detective and owner of Corporate Travel Safety (www.corporatetravelsafety.com), a company which advises businesses on travel safety and sells anti-theft products online.

The temptations are great with so many travelers checking bags and so many people handling them.

"If a dishonest luggage handler wants to get into your bag, he or she will," Coffey says. "If they can open it really quickly, they'll do that, but if it's locked and they can't, they'll go onto the next one. They're looking for a quick, easy hit.">>
As well, I figure (rightly or wrongly) it strengthens my claim if something is missing).
We, too, use the locked suitcase in hotel rooms for purchases etc.

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:15 AM

I've never known (or heard of) European security breaking into locks (with keys or otherwise) to search cases. The only cases I have heard of were from people travelling to the US. In 18 years of European air travel I've only once had a bag opened and searched - that was at a time of high security when I was called back to have the bag unlocked and searched while I was present.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Yes, it's good to rmember that a huge percentage of petty thievery is "opportunity" based = a locked bag will be passed by for one that is easily and quickly opened. My experience in the restaurant biz has taught that a pickpocket (pro) will ask to sit next to a woman whose bag has been tossed over the back of her chair or left on the floor.

A thief who plans to steal your luggage doesn't worry about the lock. But one who wants to take what's on top in a quick unguarded moment are foiled by a locked or otherwise secured bag.

Of course all of you seem to know that already!

Clarin, looking at your original question, I'd say to your husband:
A bag without a lock is an invitation to enter - you wouldn't leave your hotel room unlocked to give the impression that there is nothing valuable inside!
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:30 AM

<<As best I know, European Security does not have universal keys to TSA-approved locks>>
Ira, I believe that in Europe tere is no restriction as to type of lock that can be used (as there is in the States). Apparently you will be "paged back" if there is a need to get into your luggage. If it has been removed - you 'bin robbed.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 07:03 AM

You can buy the TSA locks most any place..Wal-Mart, K-Mart, AAA etc. I always use them..........
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM

We locked our suitcases out of habit when we traveled from Colorado to Copenhagen last year. TSA cut the locks and put their standard note in the suitcases. Best bet is to carry any valuables with you and don't worry about your clothes, shoes, hair dryer, underwear, etc. getting stolen.

Stuff like that is easily replaced.

We didn't bother to buy new locks and haven't locked a suitcase since.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Tonig, did you use regular locks or TSA approved (with diamond)?
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 03:44 PM

tonig - sorry - I don't get your reasoning here. Had you complied (using a TSA lock) your lock would not have been cut.
You do realize that it was cut in the US - (Colorado to Copenhagen). The luggage is inspected in the country of origin not at destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -