Reload this Page >

To Do in Lakes District--Sept/Oct

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 1998, 05:01 AM
Jon Stansfield

My wife and I will be based in Lanacashire during the last week of Sept and first in Oct and are seeking advice on what to explore in Cumbria and Yorkshire. We will have a car [one of those dreaded right hand drive models] and plan to venture out on day trips to Kendal, Windemere, and Ambleside with side excursions to the Dales. Any suggestions as to 'must dos' are welcomed. <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 08:13 PM
Heather

I just returned yesterday from 3 weeks in the UK. We visited both Yorkshire and the Lakes in our travels. <BR> <BR>Two lakes which we explored on foot were Wastwater and Buttermere, both on the west side of the district and so less crowded. Buttermere is an easy walk all the way around and the path is level and gravelled. Wastwater is spectacular because of massive screes (pebble covered hillsides) which rise dramatically from the water's edge on one side. There's a road on the other side that you could drive or walk (among the sheep grazing there). <BR> <BR>Just outside Cockermouth, there's a Sheep and Wool centre that does a live sheep show. They demonstrate sheep-shearing and introduce 16 different breeds of sheep to you, in person! (or whatever you call it when sheep are involved) They also demonstrate two different kinds of sheep dog tactics for herding. Needless to say, there's an extensive gift shop at the centre as well featuring lots of woollen goods. That was a good rainy-day activity. <BR> <BR>The Lakes District is territory for William Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter fans. There are several sites and museums. <BR> <BR>One thing that was recommended to us but we didn't see was the Pencil Museum in Keswick. That would be another good thing to do on a rainy or foggy day when the lakes aren't particularly visible. <BR> <BR>About 10 miles east of Carlisle, there are a number of good sites for visiting Hadrian's Wall, erected by the Romans. The history and engineering is amazing, and it's surprising how much of it stands nearly 2000 years later. <BR> <BR>If you have other questions, I'll be glad to help via e-mail. <BR>

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 12:11 PM
Marcia

We loved visiting John Russell's house on Conniston Waters - a National Trust site. Russell, a social reformer, was also a huge advocate of the famous English painter, Turner, writing about and promoting his works extensively . His house is filled with all kinds of drawings and art by Russell and his contemporaries. The views across the lake are beautiful. A snack shop offers tea. The visits may be seasonal, so you should check, because I believe you have to get there by boat - kind of cute motorized gondolas. It was a lovely and restful day.

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 04:50 PM
Martin

If you go to Keswick, you should be certain to find the Castlerigg Stone Circle--sort of like a mini-Stonehenge except that it's free and the location is breathtaking (on a hilltop, surrounded by even larger hills).

Old Oct 16th, 1998, 03:22 PM
Paul Johnson

<BR>If you're going to the Lake District, be sure to check out http://www.dedicate.co.uk/website.htm <BR> <BR>This page provides links to all sorts of tourist attractions and accommodation establishments in the area - includes details of Cumbria Tourist Board, the Lake District Peninsulas, Fine Individual Hotels, World of Beatrix Potter Attraction, Ullswater Steamers, Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway, Derwentwater Marina, etc. etc. etc.!!!