Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

To all those silly people who were afraid to travel, we just returned from Italy, best trip to Europe ever.

Search

To all those silly people who were afraid to travel, we just returned from Italy, best trip to Europe ever.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Todd

Just returned from Italy and had a great time. We have been to Europe eight times so we know the regular frustrations of traveling over there. <BR> <BR>This time those frustrations were gone. The flight was half full, so I was able to take a whole row and sleep for much of the trip, arrived refreshed. The attractions were fairly quiet, no lines, pushing or shoving. The hotels were quiet, none of the slaming doors so common in full European hotels. The rates at the hotels were cut as much as 40% to lure travelers. The people, who typically can be quite rude, were very nice and were happy to see us! <BR> <BR>Weather incredible, mid 70s and sunny every day. It was a incredible trip. <BR> <BR>I am so glad I did not take the advice of the silly people who told us it was to dangerous to go to Europe!

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Sue

Todd <BR> <BR>While I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Europe, try to be patient with those who don't want to travel. For those who have concerns, their concerns are very real to them. I appreciate that while maybe you're trying to tease people out of their fears, this approach usually doesn't work. <BR> <BR>I'm hoping that despite your provocative title, this thread doesn't degenerate into the kind of ones I've been seeing on this topic. Really. <BR> <BR>Personally, I see it as unlikely that air traffic will be disrupted to the same extent that it did on the 11th, in part because I think this 'war' will be more like the 'cold' war that existed for so long with the former Soviet Union. I don't know if this perspective will help those concerned with being stranded. I do understand that everyone needs their own space and time to come to terms with this, and wish them the best, no matter what they decide. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Whew!

Look out! Incoming!

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 08:03 AM
Vita

Todd, I'm so glad to read that everything went well. I'll be leaving for Roma in 5 days! Woohoo! Where in Italy did you go? I'll be in Rome, Siena, and Florence.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 08:26 AM
amy

Sounds like you made out pretty good without the usual crowds. Just hope I get the same luck with mt late Oct trip. Do you think travel will be back in full swing by then?

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 08:57 AM
HELLO!

Can't believe you people are HOPING for others to be staying home so you can have shorter lines!!! DO YOU HAVE YOUR HEAD IN SAND!!!! <BR>Self absorbed idiots!

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 09:41 AM
A New Yorker

Hey, Todd I hope you found everything OK back at the travel agency where you work.....you are a travel agent, right? <BR> <BR>As far as the "silly people", you might be referring to the ones that surround you, the ones that surround me will feel better if I stick around home for a while in these sad times. <BR> <BR>Nah, no mention of Europe one way or the other. This isn't about Europe. <BR> <BR>Sorry about the huge comissions you face to lose.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Duke

Re Hello's post above: Why do people like that even read these posts? They are the ones you run into that are always upset about something. Probably a peace protester type. Makes you want to puke and as usual they won't identify themselves.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Hello!

Duke....some identification. Don't recall ever seeing that one before. So, why don't YOU post your real name. <BR>And, your post is lame. <BR> <BR>Todd, can't believe you were gleeful about getting empty seats. Guess you forgot WHY the seats are empty? Duh! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Pete

Yo Hello- Hey Numnuts. Take a look at the name of this forum, Genius. It's about travel to Europe, not your stupid political views. Go to CNN. We'll go on vacation to try to forget what's going on around here.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 11:38 AM
notsilly

Duke: you sound like a real flag waving American...during the Vietnam War the term we used for the likes of you were patriotic masturbaters...equating the flag with patriotism makes you feel real good doesnt it? Well, while you're off taking silly pictures of the trevi fountain while wearing an American flag on your shirt, I wonder what people from other countries think about your patriotism. I think that people who cancelled their trips because of the horror of the event and the sadness of the times display alot more patriotism than those who go traipsing around Europe happy that the lines are short. <BR>Todd, so happy to hear about your ability to strectch out on the plane and the short lines you enjoyed... I bet these perks jumped right into your mind when you saw the towers crumble...you are to be saluted.....

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 11:40 AM
frank

The reference to "silly people" is insulting-and then the replies are each more lame than the next....this post didn't have a chance to be taken seriously before it went downhill-Sue-your fears came true-impossible for some to keep the ideas coming without the insults .oh well, keep trying----

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 11:47 AM
john g

While I think it is our patriotic duty to travel to keep our economy strong, what irks me about Todd's post is his calling the Italians rude. That is the pot calling the kettle black. In fact, Todd, I usually leave the USA for my vacations just so I can get away from rude, boorish persons such as yourself.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 12:48 PM
pat

Glad you had a good trip, but for me, I would rather ere on the conservative side and save my travel until the cockpits are secured and the air marshall program is up and running. Saw the former head of El Al on TV and he pretty much said the same thing--that he would rather not fly right now until improvements are made, but he had no choice. I have a choice. I certainly don`t consider myself silly. Each person has to make his own decision.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Sarah

Todd, <BR> <BR>Thanks for posting this information. I've been waiting to hear about travels since the September 11 event. Now I am encourage to keep my plans for November to Amsterdam. I respect those who don't want to travel; but think I will keep my plans.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 01:50 PM
PC police

Todd, you have violated the PC guidelines here at Fodors. Your punishment will be that You must read the entire Fall Fodorite trip report by Rex. THAT should thwart any thought of ever posting something like this again. <BR> <BR>signed, <BR> <BR>Giving him the benefit of the doubt <BR> <BR>(And, this is posted by someone who continues to grieve for our fellow Americans. To our friend from New York, <BR>my heart goes out to you. I wish for you healing and peace. Take care.)

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 04:31 PM
Lexxy

Sorry Todd, your phony post was so laughable. I can't understand that everyone did not see through to your lying self. You must be a travel agent, next time you try to pull one over on us, get some help. <BR>

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 03:21 AM
Todd

No people, my post was real, I am not a travel agent and maybe I was not PC but I wanted to make a point. <BR> <BR>My point: Traveling still can be fun and in this time where a number of us a are nervous about going on an airplane, those of us who did go had a better time due to a lack of crowds. <BR> <BR>Yes the people in Italy and a number of other European countries are rude (would a travel agent be so honest?), I noticed the people were a bit nicer this time. <BR> <BR>My final thoughts: This is still a great time to travel to Europe, or where ever, it is the American thing to do!

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 03:38 AM
a regular

The American thing to do is probably travel domestically and spend that money here in the States.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 08:42 AM
Flag is cloth

Todd, <BR> <BR>The American thing to do is to make your own choices and respect other's choices not to do what you do. The "free market" idea includes the idea of NOT spending money, not being compelled to spend money for things you don't want, and not being called silly for deciding separation from family is a risk not worth taking under current circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -