Tips in London

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 11:50 AM
Nino

Tips in London

I'll be flying from Sao Paulo to Cairo and the flight will stop in London for 6 hours, from 9am to 3pm. What should I do in the meanwhile? I don't know London and wanted to visit the best.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 12:33 PM
Brad

You have only 6 hours? It will take at least 2 just to get into London from Heathrow and back again. That leaves only 4 hours, although it will probably take another half-hour getting off the flight from Sao Paulo and a half-hour getting on the flight to Cairo. That leaves only 3 hours. You'll have to assume another half-hour or hour just getting to your actual destination. That leaves only 2 hours.

Only about enough time to eat at Rules and buy some cosmetics at Lush in Covent Garden.

Are you sure you can't spend the night?

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 12:33 PM
elvira

You'll only have about two hours (you'll clear customs, then the train in, back out, and you'll need to be at the airport about 1), and you'll be pretty wrecked from the long flight, so I'd suggest the open-decked bus that's hop-on-hop-off. You go by all the good stuff, get some commentary, and not tire yourself.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 12:39 PM
Cyrano

All of London is the best, depending on what you like. If I had only six hours in London, I would hop on the tube to Greenwich and go see the Harrison Clocks, but I am the only person I know who would do that.

A more popular and less harried six hours might be spent taking the tube to the Covent Garden station and strolling through the area and the lanes, gradually making one's way to Leicester Square. One will see many shops of all sorts, street performers, pubs, and lots of tourists. Stop in at The Salisbury pub on St. Martin's St. for an excellent pub lunch. Catch the tube at Leicester Square for the airport.

Or Trafalgar Square (Charing Cross Station) and the art galleries and St. Martins in the Fields for a noonday concert, then down Whitehall to Parliament and Westminster Cathedral, then through St. James Park to Buckingham Palace, then through Green Park to Picadilly and head to Picadilly Circus for the tube back to the Airport. One can't dawdle and do this in six hours, but time and interest will dictate the itinerary. This stroll is best accompanied by Fodor's description of Mayfair in his London guide--it's a hoot.

Or go see Harrison's amazing clocks.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 01:31 PM
Lori

I would not try and plan much, for one thing your plane may very well eb late getting in and you will probably need to be back at the airport by 1:00 p.m. to checkin for Cairo. Instead of going into London you could take a cab to Windsor (about 15 minutes away),take a quick look at the castle, walk around a bit, grab an early lunch & get back to the airport. I would not venture too far (that's just me of course) -- actually I'd try for better connections if I were you or at least a 24 hr stay so that you could get some rest, your flight sounds like torture to me. Incidentally they have showers at Heathrow should you want to take advantage and freshen up. It's also not a bad a/p to kill time in, there are a lot of shops, places to eat, etc.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 03:37 AM
Nino

Thanks guys. Trying to follow your advices I got another conection. I'll be arriving in London at 7:30am (Gatwick) and leaving to Cairo at 4:30pm (Heathrow). What do you think now?

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 02:22 PM
Diane

Whatever you decide to do in London, the quickest way to get to Heathrow is probably to take the Heathrow Express from Paddington Station. It leaves every 15 minutes, takes about 15 minutes, and costs L12 (about $20 U.S.).

Interesting to see what different people suggest that you do. I wouldn't waste my time eating or shopping (well, maybe on your revised schedule you'll need to eat). I'd head for the British Museum (free) or Westminster Abbey (not free). You could go to Trafalgar Square, then an hour in the National Gallery of Art (northern edge of Trafalgar), then continue walking north (behind the Art Gallery) up toward Leicester Square with all its shops, little restaurants, busy crowds of people, continuing on toward Picadilly Circus (more crowds). Eventually you hop on the tube to take you to Paddington and on to the Heathrow Express. The tube will take you to Heathrow, but it stops at many stops along the way, and I don't know where it lets you off. The Express lets you out right at either Terminals 1-2-3 or at Terminal 4.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 04:45 PM
katie

I would pick up the open top bus tour which has a commentary and drives you past the main "highlights". You have the option of hopping off and visiting a site and then hopping on again. It takes 40 minutes to get from Gatwick to Victoria on the Gatwick express train. If you are using two different airports you will have to have your luggage with you all the time which is a great nuisance!!

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 07:24 PM
hmh

Between Gatwick and Heathrow is a service called Speedlink,(don't remember the web site but you can access it though Search--might also try searching Airlink--I got it that way, I think. Was able to download the time schedule, too.) which departs every 15 minutes and costs about $25. Used it about a month ago. It was on a Saturday and the ride took only about 50 minutes to Terminal 4 at H. I would get my luggage to Heathrow and if you cannot check it that early, put it in "Left Luggage". Then take the tube that goes from Heathrow into London, in about 15 minutes. It's the Picadilly line, so would let you get out in the area of Trafalgar Square, etc.. Remember that the tube sometimes experiences slowdowns, etc. so be careful of your time.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 10:20 PM
Brad

Someone said you shouldn't bother eating on such a short time frame like others did. Well, I suggested eating at Rules not just because I like the food there (there are actually better places to eat in London) but because it's such a London restaurant. It's located close to various tourist attractions including Covent Garden for sure, but it also serves very English food and is very old. One of the English Kings carried on an affair with a beautiful actress upstairs during the 19th century. Raise their own game on an estate up north, too.

Other peoples' suggestions for sights to see are good. Many are close by Rules. Trafalgar Square is within easy walking distance with the National Gallery and St. Martin's in the Fields.