Tips for kids?

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Jill

Tips for kids?

We are travelling to France (Loire Valley, Paris, Provence area) and Italy (Venice and Florence) for 3 weeks in June& July. I have 2 daughters, 8 and 11. I would welcome any and all tips/experiences that would make their trip more enjoyable. Thanks!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:26 AM
tired

This board is full of people trying to figure out how to entertain/educate their children when they travel abroad, from infants to teens. I suggest you do a search on this web site and then, get a book on taking your children to those countries. Then peruse it for what suits your children's dispositions and interests and plan your itinerary accordingly. <BR><BR>Every child, just as every adult, is different. Only you know your children.<BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Jennifer

Hi Jill,<BR><BR>A couple of months ago, I returned from Paris with my 9 and 12-year-old children.<BR><BR>My biggest advice is to be flexible. If they're exhausted on a big day that you have planned, I'd just sleep late and then wander around an area leisurely. That evening, go to bed early and be prepared for a bigger day!<BR><BR>Also, the usual helps as well -- when you're going to be confined for awhile (airplane ride or anything you have planned), make sure the kids are well-rested, well-nourished, and have had adequate time to run around.<BR><BR>Also, each of my kids wore a backpack as their "carry on" for the airplane. Whatever they could fit in, they could bring! Of course, their clothing was in a larger suitcase that was checked.<BR><BR>Another thing that gave me peace of mind. I took individual pictures of the three of us. In a concealed pouch on his body, my 9-year-old had two pictures, one of me and one of my daughter. If he got lost, it's much better having a literal image of the person than giving a general description. Same with my daughter. Also, each child had a copy of his passport and a piece of paper with all the addresses and phone numbers and dates of where we were. Also, each child had ~$25. with them for emergencies. Fortunately, we never had to use any of it (although they spent the money at the end!), but I felt a LOT better knowing that they had photos of their fellow travelers and the other items mentioned.<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Michele

Thanks Fred for the book suggestion of "Linnea in Monet's Garden". Just added it to my amazon.com order. We are traveling with our kids (9&7) this summer and plan on visiting Giverney.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Natasha

Have you heard of Flat Stanley? (http://flatstanley.enoreo.on.ca/) I don't know if they would find this an interesting project or not but it sounded fun to me. And it gets them to keep a journal of sorts that they'd love to read when they get older. Check it out.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 02:36 PM
amy

The advice that only you know your kids is the ticket.<BR><BR>We're into education, and the kids have sort of accepted that the price of travel is that they must learn something. <BR><BR>Back to the knowing your kids, though...they both have always been museum rats. Endless days of museum after museum are fun for any kid, though, if they don't have some contribution to the program. <BR><BR>Therefore, our rather painless solution is to have them do some pre-reading about just one person before we go. For example,one kid chose Henry VIII, the other Elizabeth I when we went to London. When we first went to Italy, one kid chose Galileo, the other Leonardo da Vinci. Another time they both chose Joan of Arc. You get the drift. Then we try to see some sights, based on the kids' recommendations, associated with these personnages. <BR><BR>I'm a tightwad when it comes to souvenirs, but I tell them I'll shell out money for books at any sight and they've accumulated a nice collection of special children's books about certain cathedrals, castles, and their "trip persons."<BR><BR>What came as a neat surprise was that the summer after the Italy trip concentrating on "Leonardo da Vinci", we did the Loire Valley. Talk about one-two punches. I had had no idea of his major presence there, and it made touring Amboise castle, the da Vinci home and the nearby museum really neat. The kids were really into him by then, and they ran from machine to machine in the museum explaining them to us.<BR><BR>My next tip concerns the old journal idea. Lord did I go through hair-pulling to get them to write in one, and I wasn't enjoying the effort or the results. Then a friend told me what she does: each kid chooses a postcard before dinner showing something they saw that day. While waiting to order, the kids write themselves a postcard. Ta-duh! Instant journal. Now my kids each have an extensive postcard album of "her" trip experiences.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:52 PM
tippergore

15 to 20% is considered normal.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:24 PM
patty

We're not planning a major trip for this year (I'm hoping for next year!) but just wanted to say thanks to Jennifer and Amy for wonderful ideas and suggestions.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:08 AM
elaine

I have a small file on Paris for kids; if you'd like to see it, email me.<BR><BR>For Venice for kids, here is only one of many resources<BR>www.europeforvisitors.com/venice<BR>follow the links for info, including children<BR><BR>Amazon.com can also search for the many books on traveling with children, and more specifically taking children to the places you mention<BR>search under family, children, or kids<BR><BR>

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Peggi

Postcards from France is a nice book for your girls to read as well; my ten year old daughter loved it.