Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2019, 11:02 AM
Lpk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping in London

thank you all for the great ideas. Taking my 18 niece this weekend to London

Can you give me suggestions for tipping

justairports car service are tips included If not how much ?

restaurants in general?

thanks again
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 11:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Can you give me suggestions for tipping

justairports car service are tips included If not how much ?

restaurants in general?<<

OH my - - you are going to regret posting this

As for justairports - just a small tip. Max £5 if you have a boat load of luggage has has to schlepp. If the fare is say £38 cash -- I give the driver £40. But I travel carry on only.

In restaurants check the menu/bill closely -- more and more are tacking on a 12-ish% service charge. If so just round up a little (or leave nothing extra). If no service charge is included I'll round up to a max of 10%. Sometimes just a tad more in very posh places.

Abandon your tip everybody 20% American habits when you step off the plane.
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 11:53 AM

How much do you tip the pilots?
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 12:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Nothing.
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 12:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This person is new-ish to the forum and seeking your advice. I'm sure they would appreciate serious replies (like janisj) not just horsing around (like PalenQ).
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 01:16 PM

Janis has explained it well. No need to post more comments as to how and why someone tips more or more often but I’m pretty certain someone will.
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 06:22 PM

In fairness to Pal, the "tipping the pilot" thread is a running joke here (an oldie but goodie) and not intended to be snarky, I don't think. Usually when these tipping threads appear, it's time to get the popcorn out.

Re. the original question: what JanisJ said up thread. That's all you need. Be aware that many times when using your credit card in London you need to confirm that you wish to pay in local currency on the card machine.
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 06:38 PM

Since the OP is new to this forum, he/she would not be familiar with the “ tipping the pilot “ thread making Pal’s post appear snarky. All cleared up now. Thankfully.
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 11:41 PM

What Janisj says. The majority of restaurants now add service charge to the bill, usually 12,5%. If you pay by cc there is often not even an option to add anything extra.
We never add a tip if the 12,5% is included.
If the restaurant does not include service, this will be very clearly marked on the bill.

Taxi's; round up to the nearest round amount, or a few pounds, depending on the service.
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 02:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tip as you feel the level of service WARRANTS and not what somebody tells you is THE amount. That attitude should not be left behind or on a plane.
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 02:08 AM
Lpk
Original Poster

Thanks that sums it up nicely
i didn’t know this was A THING
very funny
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 08:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Tip as you feel the level of service WARRANTS and not what somebody tells you is THE amount. That attitude should not be left behind or on a plane.<<

I know you like to tip in Europe. But I meant one should not bring their habits from home when traveling to other places. When in Rome and all that. Over tip if you wish and it makes you feel good. Absolutely your choice. But IMO not good advice for those asking for useful guidance . . .
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Janis. If there were to be the 12.5 per cent service charge on restaurant tab, you could leave some extra cash to round up to 15 or 20 per cent.

I am generous to barmen in pubs.

Thin🐩
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by kerouac
Google is usually pretty good about guessing such spellings.
Not even Google will come up with Oxford from Oggsford... speech to text might work, though.
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 09:36 AM

We don't usually tip bar staff in pubs (though I've noticed some machines for contactless card purchase seem to include a stage of asking you if you want to include a gratuity, I've also known barmen to cancel that before presenting the machine). On the other hand, if it's quiet, you'll probably find "And one for yourself?" isn't refused.
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 10:52 AM

Why ask the question?

Nobody cares.

Canadians wear maple leafs on their bags, Yanks tip everything in sight. Just a way to define your national identity.

If it makes you feel better leave £100, tipping isn’t necessary in the U.K. but it will make you feel better.

Tipping threads are tedious beyond any comprehension.

Last edited by BritishCaicos; Apr 20th, 2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 01:56 PM

Coronation Street is in many ways true to real life and in many more ways a gross exaggeration - but it's in the daily things that I think it must portray average Brits - like tipping - many folks in the Rovers pub will say keep the change. But many will not. But listen to the Brits above and take their take on tipping to heart - leave your American ideas at home.
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 02:57 AM

This is a reasonably accurate guide to tipping in the UK but it's only a guide:
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel...Etiquette.html

You don't have to tip, you won't get chased down the road like some places in the US. You may find some hostility to this question as those of us that live here don't want tipping to escalate (and be expected) to the "crazy" amounts that are common in the US.
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Pepper_von_snoot

I am generous to barmen in pubs.

Thin🐩
Yes, and I also believe in remembering the invisible chambermaid who cleans your room daily.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 04:09 AM

Quite often the 12% added to the bill is optional meaning you don't have to pay it. I've asked for it to be removed on several occasions. Once because there was a large group of us, we had paid a substantial amount for a 'chef's table experience' yet the service was poor so I requested it to be removed and paid a more appropriate figure. Another time I've asked for it to be removed because the service was appalling and left no tip whatsoever (after all, a tip is for recognition of good service) and another time I requested it to be removed and gave the waitress a cash tip direct because the restaurant was one that was notorious for witholding a percentage of tips intended for staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -