Tipping in Europe

Search

Tipping in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping in Europe

In reading these threads I have seen a lot of differing information on tipping. I have to admit I never thought about this and on previous trips to Europe I tipped like I do in the US, 15% plus or minus depending on service. I have read here that may be much more then the norm. I will be traveling to Italy, France, Switzerland, Austria and Germany. I am interested to hear what others have to say, especially any residents of those countries.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 07:40 AM

In Italy at restaurants, a <i>Coperto</i> (fee for service and bread) is usually added to the bill at an average of 2 Euros per person. If you choose to, you can leave an extra Euro per diner if you wish.

We noticed that most other tables didn't leave additional monies, but we chose to do so when the service was great....and the server appreciated it.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 07:42 AM

In and around Munich, anything between 5% and 10% is o.k. 10% expected, but no &quot;need&quot; to leave a tip.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 07:47 AM

Round the ticket up to the next Euro. Don't make them bring you back small amounts of change.

What I like about Europe is the prices are so easy to total. Nothing is 9.99; it is either 9.5 or 10 Euros.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 08:07 AM

In France the service is included, so don't feel badly about not tipping. If the service was beyond good, leaving the change is not a bad idea.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 08:27 AM

On a trip to Germany a few years ago, I stayed in a Prival Zimmer (a room in what was otherwise a private home) with a Gastgeberin (hostess) who did not speak English. Each morning a breakfast I had an opportunity to practice my German with conversations on several subjects. One such subject was &quot;tipping&quot;.

She was aghast to hear my tipping &quot;policy&quot; which was to add 50 cent, then round up to the nearest Euro. So, for instance, for a bill of &euro;9,60, I would give &euro;11. She scolded be in no uncertain terms, saying I was giving too much. I should only round up, so in that case I should give &euro;10 - a 40 cent tip. Apparently, waiters in German are paid for their service, they don't need tips for an income, it's just considered polite not to take all the small change.

On my last trip I more or less adhered to her policy, except if the bill came out an even Euro, I added one. In other words, for a bill of &euro;12, I gave &euro;13. Everyone seemed quite satisfied with this policy; the ones who got the extra Euro seemed quite pleased.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 08:35 AM

&gt;they don't need tips for an income,
Unfortunately not true.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 08:37 AM

It's customary to leave the small change at caf&eacute;s.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 08:46 AM

That was Privat Zimmer (not Prival Zimmer).

It should be observed that the &quot;tipping&quot; is only an American concept. Here the waiters are not adequately paid, which is a ruse by restaurants to make their prices look lower, and we are expected to pay the workers for them. In Europe, rounding the bill, not taking the small change, is not a reward for good service, it is considered politeness.

Europeans feel that we are ruining things for them by making waiters expect a reward. Certainly, European waiters know and expect that Americans will give then a big &quot;gift&quot;. In Rothenburg a few years ago, I think the bill was 23 something. I naively said &quot;25&quot;, but handed the waiter a twenty and a ten, &euro;30. He disappeared, I assumed to get me my change, but never returned. I guess he assumed that I, being American, would give him a 28% tip! I had to hunt him down to get my change.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 08:52 AM

&gt;That was Privat Zimmer (not Prival Zimmer)
It's &quot;Privatzimmer&quot; ;-) ;-).
Under the new Rechtschreibung, even
Privat-Zimmer would be acceptable, but it looks odd.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Everybody feels they need more. We don't tip the clerk at Walmart, but I'm sure they are just as underpaid. Maybe we should tip them. What about bank tellers? Here in Denver, privatization has produced a class of bus drivers who are paid less than union wages. Perhaps I should give them a tip. This could go on forever.

But the law in this country specifically allows restaurants to pay waiters much less than the legal minimum wage so that the customers will have to pay extra in tips.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 08:57 AM

There is no minimum wage in this country. You can expect waiters to work for 3&euro; to 4&euro; plus tips.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Read that page Larry and you'll never make that &quot;Leerzeichen&quot; mistake again.

http://deppenleerzeichen.de/

I love it when they say: &quot;You too can become a pudding&quot;.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 09:49 AM

I Rome as the saying goes I do as the Roms do, as simple as that. I do not wish to impose on them what I might feel should be right, even it is giving them a larger tip... I have no need or desire to act differently. In a way it would be like given them a lesson.... Of course if someone does me a favor or provides exceptional service it would be a different story.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 12:01 PM

In the UK it is a crminal offense for an employer not to pay the national minimum wage per hour - most waiters will earn the minimum as will most other menial staff you encounter. This minimum is backed up by a very complex benefits system.

Basically if you feel the need to tip all waiters you should be tipping anyone you come into contact with. Simply tip if the service/food is above expectations - in cash to the waiter.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM

&quot;But the law in this country specifically allows restaurants to pay waiters much less than the legal minimum wage so that the customers will have to pay extra in tips.&quot;

Not exactly true. It is a bit more complicated and if the waitstaff's wages + tips fall below minimum wage, then there are requirements that the restaurant has to bump up the salaries.

As for the original question, the conventional wisdom seems to be:

Austria - 5-10%
Italy - A couple of Euros in restaurants
Switzerland - Round up. Maybe.
Germany - Maybe 5%
France - Round up. Maybe.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 04:49 AM

In all these countries, tipping customs are almost the same.

Rule #1: Tipping is not mandatory.

Rule #2: Voluntary tipping is a matter of generosity. Waiters and waitresses earn low wages; often they are students earning a little money by hard work in restaurants and bars.

A colleague of mine had been waitress when she was a student and since she remembers these times, she tips always very well.

If you are well-off give them a bit. For small amounts, Larryincolorado's rule sounds perfect, otherwise 5% to 10% may be a rule of thumb, of course, depending on the quality of service.

If you have eaten a perfect meal and if service has been excellent, why not share your good mood with the people who had helped to make the event wonderful?

Rule #3: If service is not good, GIVE NOTHING AT ALL!!!

Rule #4: Do not leave the tip on the table. In France and Italy, the waiter/waitress will leave a small plate for the tip. In CH, D, A you would tell the waiter/waitress how much change you expect or you give them some coins or bills after you have received or change - together with a friendly word and a smile.

If you leave a tip on the table in D, CH, A, someone else might take it!!

Rule #5: Do not overtip. 15% is too much, unless it is a small amount. The higher the check, the smaller the tip. If I get a check of, say, 800 Euros, a 30 Euro-tip would be very generous. If I get a check of 8 Euros, I would tip 1 or even 2 Euros.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 04:57 AM

Couldn't have said it any better