Search

Tipping Advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 11:56 AM
MRK

Tipping Advice

I just got back from Italy. Before I left, I read that the tip is included in the bill; however, all throughout Italy the waiters gave me funny looks when I did not tip. What's the proper ettique?

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 01:15 PM
npr fan

Tips are included in the bill. However since so many Americans are oblivious to this, they run over to Italy and leave tips just like they do in the US. So now waiters expect tips from Americans. (Or maybe they were shocked that an American understood some Italian cultural differences!!

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 01:18 PM
Ed

Tips are &gt;&gt;usually&lt;&lt; included in restaurant prices in Italy. Not always. "Servizio" is the operative word, usually something like Servizio Incluso". <BR> <BR>Even then a &gt;small&lt; tip is often given, usually by 'rounding up' the bill to the next round number. If you're using a credit card charge the exact amount and leave 1, 2 or 3 %, roughly, if you were pleased with the service. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 02:40 PM
Travelgal

So which is it? Do we leave a tip even if the tip is included or not?

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 03:39 PM
Ed

Yes, of course. "Even then" ... when the service (not "tip" ... "service") is included ... if you were happy with the service. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 03:39 PM
Ed

Yes, of course. "Even then" ... when the service (not "tip" ... "service") is included ... if you were happy with the service. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 05:13 AM
Rel

Memo Ed: Why!!??

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 09:09 AM
elaine

Rather than offer my own opinion, I'll quote from my general Italy guidebook <BR>"In restaurants 15% is added to your bill to cover...[service]. An additional tip for good service is almost always expected. It's customary in certain fashionable restaurants in [the large cities] to leave an additional 10%..." <BR> <BR>The practice of leaving something extra <BR>is confirmed in my other Italy guidebook as well. It seems even more <BR>customary than, for example, in Paris.I believe the extra that one leaves is called a "mancia". <BR> <BR>I don't want to get into the politics of tips, but just because a restaurant imposes a legally-mandated charge for service doesn't mean that the service charges go directly into the waiters' pockets or that they are highly paid. <BR>I suppose one can choose to participate in the economic system as it is, or one can choose to take a stand and not tip any extra.

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 10:32 AM
Sjoerd

I think the words "service" and "tip" need some explanation, as in Europe they mean two very different things. "Service" is normally included in the prices of food and drinks, and is used to give waiters a decent (but not very high) income. A "tip" is ..... well , a "tip". I mean, if the servive was friendly, nice and quick, you leave something for the waiter. The "rule" here is that if service was bad, you leave nothing, but if it was OK or good, you leave some money. No fixed percentage, just a few 1,000 lira.

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 10:59 AM
Ed

Rel: <BR>Because that's the way it works in Europe. <BR> <BR>Elaine and Sjoerd speak correctly, of course. But more important than the rationale, that's the way it's done in Europe. <BR> <BR>Just like getting on buses. We get on at the front (mostly), Europeans get on at the rear (mostly). Torture oneself with 'logic' 'til the cows come home, but that's the way it works. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 01:46 AM
Liz

I'd agree - you should think about it as two things - 'service charge' and 'tip'. <BR> <BR>In my opinion, a service charge should ALWAYS be included in the bill (whether explicitly, or by increasing the price of the food items), as it is this that enables the restauranteur to pay a living wage to the waiting staff. In the UK, there is a minimum wage of £3.70 which all restauranteurs have to pay, and this is sufficient to live off. (Other countries may not have/comply with minimum wage legislation.) <BR> <BR>I am a waitress, and earn slightly more than minimum wage (£4 per hour). My boss still makes a profit, as our wage bill is included in the price (although not explicitly shown on the customers' bills). I aim to give good service to my customers, and I am grateful if they leave a little bit extra - a 'tip' - as it is always nice to be appreciated and to receive presents. However, NO WAY do the waiting staff EXPECT this - as we are being paid a living wage. <BR> <BR>Where I work, you get the same good service whether or not you leave a tip. Good service = repeat visits = more profit for the boss = our jobs are secure. <BR> <BR>Therefore, in the UK, don't be bullied into leaving a 'tip' if you don't feel you want to. The only exception might be if you believe your waiter is a non-UK national working illegally, as his boss may not be paying him minimum wage.