Reload this Page >

tinnitus/noise reduction headphones

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 02:58 PM
pat

I am taking my first long flight (12 hrs) and since I have a problem with tinnitis/ringing/humming in my ears, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for making the flight less "uncomfortable". I have tried to search for noise reduction headphones, but am having trouble with the search engine. I have looked at Koss headphones and "noise buster" from Magellans. If anyone has used these, I would appreciate it if you would let me know if they helped. Thanks.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 05:42 PM
Ross

Hi, Pat: <BR> <BR>I have used the Bose noise reduction headsets for over a year. They cost $300, but are worth every cent. I have worn them continuously for several 12 hour flights and they really reduce fatigue from cabin noise while allowing you to use your CD player, MP3 player, or listen to the movies at a reasonable volume level. They are amazingly lightweight, too. They come with a 30 day free trial, I believe. Check them out at www.bose.com I had a pair of Noise Buster headphones about 6 years ago: they worked well and are certainly a good value. I take my headsets whenever I fly, and even on a 1 hour flight, it makes a difference. BTW - I have tintinitus too. I should warn you that the sound cancellation technology all these headsets use actually aggravates my tintinitus, but the payback is that I am not exhausted by the cabin roar for hours on end. See if you can get a pair and try it for a few hours before you buy. <BR>-Ross

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 07:56 PM
rudy

<BR>I have the same problem, but only spent $10 at wal-mart in the sporting goods section for ear covers worn by hunters (they call 'em mickey mouse ears in the military).

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Gretchen

A friend who was piloting prop planes used them to good results. Brother-in-law who is very noise sensitive got a pair for about $50. Have you looked in a Sky Mall magazine? Might be on line too.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 02:26 PM
Liz

Brookstone has them(in airports, many malls, and on line at www.brookstone.com). <BR> <BR>Liz

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 03:06 PM
pat

Thanks! I'll look into those web sites. I'll keep checking if anyone else has any other info. When I get back, I'll post my results. Thanks again.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 03:06 PM
pat

Thanks. I'll look into those web sites. I'll keep checking if anyone else has any other info. When I get back, I'll post my results. Thanks again.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 11:04 PM
GSSchaefer

Pat, <BR>I developed tinnitus in one ear after the airbag deployed in a car accident (not to go into detail, but an airbag puts out a pressure wave equal to 170 decibels). I don't know how severe your tinnitus is, but I used those inexpensive foam earplugs and they helped a great deal (and were much cheaper at about $4 for a dozen pair). I started wearing one in my left ear whenever I was going to be in a situation where there would be loud noises (even movie theatres when watching action pics) and they made a difference. <BR>GSSchaefer

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 11:48 AM
Edmond O`Flaherty

Tinnitus is a common problem and there is very little in medical textbooks about how to treat it.However I have known several people who got relief by taking omega-3 fish oil capsules.They are available without prescription and are very cheap in Walmart.Every individual seems to need a different dose and they are unsuitable for people with blood disorders.It may take a few weeks for them to work.20% of the brain is made up of fish oil!