Timing advice - Arrival at MUC - train transfer to Innsbruck

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2021, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am scheduled to arrive in MUC (From DENVER) on Thursday, 2 December at 10 AM. I plan to continue on to Innsbruck via train (S8 to Munich OST and then transfer to an EC train Innsbruck).

Would it make sense to take advantage of Supersaver fares and book my train in advance?

There are two options... one train departs MUC at 11 AM and the other departs at 13:00.

Is it realistic to attempt the 11 AM train? Can I get through passport control and navigate the airport in less than an hour?

Should I play it safe and book the 13:00 departure?

Or should I wait and pay the full price upon arrival?

Thanks for your advice and suggestions
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 08:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What's the difference in fares? I'm not familiar with current DB rules governing their super-saver fares. Could you re-book at an overall cost that is still less than full fare?

I wouldn't choose the earlier train, but I admit I'm risk averse. I would worry that too many things could chip away at that one hour window. Plane is delayed by weather issues at either airport (December!), there's trouble attaching the jetway, there are loonngg, slow lines at passport control, etc. About the only thing you could count on is that the train would leave on time.

Last edited by Jean; Aug 27th, 2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 02:00 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
KWTravelCurator -

I think I'm on that exact flight - Lufthansa 9458?

I assume you're referring to the Super Sparpreis Europa, 18,90 Euro, train specific travel, cancellation excluded or the Sparpreis Europa, 22,40 Euro, also train specific travel, with a one day cancellation period at a loss of 10 Euro per ticket.

If it were me, I'd definitely not book the 11 am. Too much can go wrong.

If hanging around until 1 pm is worth the savings of 25,80 Euro per person (48,20 Euro full price), do it. If not, just pay full price when you get there.

Personally, I'd have no problem hanging around the MUC airport for a few hours. Even if a flight is on time, it takes awhile to get one's luggage, and I like to brush my teeth, have a coffee, pick up train provisions, find an ATM, etc.

Regardless, I'd not buy any ticket at this point, because if Germany decides to close its doors between now and December, you're going to lose some money, even if only 10 Euro per ticket.

Last edited by Melnq8; Aug 27th, 2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 03:44 PM
J62

I'd look at the Munich (either OST or Hbf) to Innsbruck leg separately and book whatever train you are comfortable with.
For MUC airport to OST or Hbf, I'd just take the next S-bahn that came through as a local separate ticket...

Then you wouldn't need to linger at the airport but could step outside near Munich OST or Hbf. and pick up the Innsbuck train there (assuming it goes through there...)...
I don't have an opinion whether it's better to kill an hour or 2 near Hbf or Ost. With the S-bahn you could also pick any other stop such as Marienplatz if you wanted to watch the clock chimes at noon.
Then easily hop back on any S-bahn to take you to OST or Hbf, or even walk to the Hbf at the appropriate time.

ps. a quick look at train schedules and it looks like you can get a direct train from Munich Hbf at 20 past every odd hour, but trains from Munich OST require a connection. So my advice would be get yourselves to Hbf by whatever S-bahn arrives next and then take the direct train to Innsbruck.

Last edited by J62; Aug 27th, 2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 03:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"Personally, I'd have no problem hanging around the MUC airport for a few hours."

The Munich Airport has been rated by Skytrax as the best airport on the European Continent several times. It even has little sleeping pods you can rent for a quick nap. In normal-year Decembers, there is a Christmas market inside the airport.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/mun...450-real-trees
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 05:49 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Very cool Jean, I'd not heard about those.
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!

Great advice!
Thank you ALL for taking the time to thoughtfully respond.
I decided to take my chances and book the 13:00 Train. I originally considered spending the night in Munich but I already have 3-nights planned there before my departure. I am heading to Bolzano and Merano to explore the region's Christmas Markets, so I wanted to spend a night in Innsbruck, as I have never been.

Hopefully, travel will be possible in December!