Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Time to clear customs and get to Heathrow Express

Jan 28th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Arriving from USA in July at 1130am Heathrow.
How long should I allow to clear customs and reach the Heathrow Express?
Not been in the airport for years, is the HEX easy to get to?
Where in Paddington does it arrive? I will need access to Fastpass(not exact name) machine to print ticket for Paddington to Tiverton train (I have choice of 105pm or 205pm departure)
Thanks!
Julie
Jan 28th, 2008, 12:40 PM

No-one can predict the answer to your question accurately, so you're best booking on the 1405 departure. You'll probably make the 1305, but it might be tight and Worst Late Western (the worst railway company in Europe, and the operator of the train to Tiverton) can't even be relied on to leave late.

There are banks of ticket machines opposite Platform 1 - a level, 30 second walk from where the HEX arrives, and a max of 45 seconds from any other platform. You MIGHT save a little bit of money by getting the bus from LHR to Reading, rather than the world's most expensive train to Paddington
Jan 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM

I'd say allow 90 minutes from landing to getting on HEX - so I'd go for the 2:05pm train

BUT why don't you get the railair bus to Reading and get the train from there?

It's fastticket BTW
Jan 28th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Heathrow: agree I'd leave minimum 90min. (slightly less than my standard 120min recommendation as you avoid early-morning long-haul rush hour at immigration).

HEX: The signage is good, though you may have to walk through a looooooooong and rather depressing tunnels if you're landing at Terminal 2 or 3. Can take 10min to get to the platform (and I walk briskly). Make sure you get HEX tickets before boarding. It arrives in one of the platform bays along with mainline trains at Paddington.

Jan 28th, 2008, 04:26 PM

I agree it would probably be better to get the coach to Reading and catch the Tiverton train there instead of spending the ££ on the HEX..

One other issue you might have - sometime US-issued credit cards don't work in the ticket machines and you end up having to queue at the window to get your ticket.
Jan 28th, 2008, 10:54 PM

By the way, I wouldn't join in the chorus of "you must go to Reading".

Railair in July will go direct to Reading only from T5 (you have to walk to the central station from T1-3, or get a shuttle from T4, and none of us know whch terminal you'll be using), is unpredictable in how long it takes to Reading station (for all its costs, the HEX is Britain's most reliable single public transport link) and getting yourself and luggage from the bus to Platform 4 (the platform for main trains to the west) can be cumbersome. But not one wit as horrid as getting from an eastbound return train to the Railair bus to Heathrow, especially at rush hour.

With bags, I always decide it's preferable to go via Paddington. BUT you save almost as much getting the Heathrow Connect there rather than the Heathrow Express, as you do by getting the bus to Reading.

Book the 1405 from Paddington, and if you've got time get the Connect to it.
Jan 29th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

I am going only one way, since my onward journey will be from Exeter via FlyBE to France.
Looks like, for one way, there is no cost saving going to Reading via bus.
Connect certainly saves a bunch of money (13.80 as opposed to 29.80) as opposed to HEX. I will have my 5 and 7 yr olds with me. Both are seasoned travellers. The issue I found getting the train at Reading last yr, was all the luggage racks were filled - I travelled luggage free last year, but will have a standard suitacase this year.
What the hell, I am going to get the 205 and use the Connect & take it easy. We can treat ourselves to a decent lunch and some shopping!
Thanks, I would not have known about the Connect without the help of this forum
Juliexx
Feb 10th, 2008, 01:11 AM

Heathrow Express: You may go to Paddington tube and change for Paddington Railway Station, For Paddington Tube, You may go straight from Hammersmith& City Line, Circle Line, District Line & Bakerloo Line. Or From Central Line, change at Notting Hill Gate Station for Circle Line or District Line. From Metropolitan& Jubilee Line, Change at Baker Street Tube for Bakerloo Line, For Northern Line, Change At King's Cross St. Pancras Station.
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:31 AM

cth98: What does any of that have to do w/ dendlju's question/situation??