Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What did you learn to do on your European vacation that you now still do at home?

Search

What did you learn to do on your European vacation that you now still do at home?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F'rinstance:

In our London B&B, breakfast always included a serving of grapefruit, canned and in syrup. I hadn't had grapefruit in years, but now weekend breakfasts *always* include some.

Also: our household has adopted the German bedding 'system' -- one comforter/duvet per person, no other blankets or coverings. Ended the mid-night blanket wars forever, and we each sleep warmer.

You?

Fritzrl
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:53 PM

heating the milk/cream in a pitcher before pouring it into coffee--Italy.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Greek salads (no lettuce!) in the summer.

British Heinz Baked Beans with bangers & mash, as well as HP sauce on eggs.

Caprise salads w/ home-grown tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzerella.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:24 PM

After eating all that great tasting fresh parmigiana cheese in Italy, I always buy our parmesan cheese in bulk and grate it myself. No more dried Kraft "parmesan cheese" in a can for us!

I also make homemade pizza with hunks of mozzerella as opposed to the shredded mozzerella seen on most American pizzas.

Tracy
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:31 PM

Tomato, fresh mozzarella and basil sandwiches.

Homemade pizza with very thin crust brushed with olive oil and baked on a stone before adding toppings to simulate the wood fired pizzas we had in Italy.

And chocolate croissants for breakfast on the weekends!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:35 PM

After our trip to Germany, I've been trying various Rauchbiers (smoke beers).

But after our trip to France, we didn't start eating horse meat.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Only wear the best quality shoes.
Longer lunches.
More walking, less driving.

Learned to resist the urge to buy a bigger house, being more content to stay in my little house and keep "things" from consuming my life. When I come home from Europe, my little house seems like a mansion!

Good thread.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Kir as an aperitif and calvados as a digestif!

Diane
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Many years ago I was served my first bowl of café au lait. It's my morning ritual ever since that trip. I pour the hot milk and the coffee at the same time into the bowl.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Excellent question!

1. One duvet per person! We've even put two extra long twins together to make a king - no more waking up everytime "someone" rolls over.

2. Nutella on just about anything.

3. Camembert on everything else.

4. Roundabouts - we have a few in town now.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Hello fritzrl, after the first trip to Italy I too purchased European comforters and the duvet covers. Have never used blankets since.

I think, especially since I sold my business, that the changes I have made is to "slow down". To really enjoy the cups of coffee, the glasses of wine, the meals.

Also, over the years I have cut down on the amount of clothes in my wardrobe. My friends in Italy are always so beautifully dressed but they have so few clothes compared to the average American woman. Partially I suspect because they do not have the closet space that we in the US are generally use to.

And since I have moved I at first was very irritated with my smaller kitchen until I was looking at photographs of trips to Italy and realized the average Italian home also has small kitchens. But oh the meals that are cooked!!! I then realized that my kitchen was just the perfect size plus it is quicker to clean up.

Interesting thread fritzrl!! Take care.

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No more ice! (OK, I'm cheating...still live in Europe but when I visit the states, I avoid ice when I can.)
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:56 PM

Malt vinegar on fries (chips). Mmm-mmm.

Really GOOD coffee.

I dress better on a day-to-day basis.

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
From our last trip:

Eat a lot of risotto and pasta (good-bye Atkins, hello Pecorino).

Drink Campari.

Put the correct gasoline in the car.

Learn how to make a great Sgroppino.

And whenever you feel tired or a little down, yell out the word "Prego." It always puts you in a good mood.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Going to the Public Market every Saturday. We buy veggies, fruit, cheese, bread and then have a breakfast taco at a Puerto Rican place. (OK, Europe might not have been the influence on that...)
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 02:31 PM

What a great question, it really got me to thinking.

After my first trip to France I started making coffee in a French Press. Then after I kept going to Italy I bought a Bialetti moka express, a stovetop expresso maker which I now use. I, too, heat the milk and serve in a pitcher for coffee and hot cereal.

I started eating muesilix after going to Switzerland and putting both milk and sugar in tea after visiting Britain.

I use waffle towels and duvets after visiting Germany and Northern Italy.

I think alot of other ideas have crept into my routine after I realized what good ideas other countries had, but mostly I accept some things that happen as just "living the life" as one Italian friend puts it.

I know I now enjoy slow dining, living in the moment and have quit always wishing for more and bigger things thanks to my Italian friends.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Just about everything -

Shop at outdoor markets and great specialty food stores for the freshest ingredients possible and make sure to have on hand a generous supply of foie gras at all times

Decorate my house with paintings and ceramics and fabrics and all manner of things purchased in Europe or imported from Europe

Grow lavender and fresh herbs in my garden

Read about Europe constantly and keep up my my foreign languages

Watch European television (and food shows) almost exclusively

Dress in clothes I've bought in Europe or styles I've noticed while over there

Use exclusively European cosmetics and beauty products

Take time to really linger over a good meal out (or in) with friends
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 02:38 PM

I came home from a week visting a couple of French families and started serving an entree (appetizer) before dinner, wine with dinner and a few different cheeses with a baguette after dinner. It was wonderful...until I noticed that I had slowly gained 5 pounds! I do it now but only as a special treat! (well, OK - I do have wine more regularly these days!)

As an aside, I can't believe that some French families serve so many courses (appetizer, main course, salad, cheese, dessert) on a regular basis. One family even had 2 dishwashers because of so many plates to wash each night!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 02:40 PM

I drink cafe au lait in the morning and switch to espresso in the afternoon.

Once I found out the French knew where I was from by asking for coffee with milk after breakfast, I happily gave it up just to try it, and I actually like it better.

Jules
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 03:13 PM

Our house is now decorated with special things we bring home from each trip like tiles, ceramics, one beautiful cuckoo clock that unfortunately keeps poor time, and various other items.

I no longer overcook pasta ;-)

After a mid-February trip to Bavaria and Franconia we bought duvets and subbed them in for blankets - ahhhh heaven...

After our May trip to southern Italy I now use fresh basil leaves on homemade pizza. There is a night and day difference between fresh and the dried stuff.

Last but not least... I find myself browsing the internet for Mediterranean-style houses with beautiful red roofs and arched porticos (VERY wishful thinking).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -