Time Out Guides?

Search

Time Out Guides?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time Out Guides?

We are going to Paris and London, and I've been thinking about getting some new travel guidebooks. I already have Let's Go, Rough Guide, and the DK Eyewitness books. I've seen the Time Out Guides be highly recommended by some. I also wanted to look into the Time Out Eating and Drinking books.

If I just got the city guides, would you recommend I also get the Eating/Drinking guide also? Or does the city guides contain a fair amount of the rest. listings from the Eating/Drinking guide?
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
The Eating and Drinking Guides are much more extensive than the listings in the city guides. They are my favorite restaurant guides for London and Paris.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Nikki,

Have you used the city guides as well? Would you recommened them?

Many seem to really like the Time Out eating and drinking guide - we are sort of on a budget, and I noticed they have a cheap eats book as well - have you used this one?
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 02:29 PM

I took both the city guide and the eating guide with me to Paris a few months ago. Since I had most of my meals planned b efore I left home, I did not use the eating guide that much once in Paris. If you are not going to reserve in advance like I did, and you care a lot about food, by all means by it and take it along. It has many more listings than does the basic TO travel guide.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I also like the city guides a lot. The cheap eats one is OK, I do have it for London, but many of the entries seem to be duplicates of the Eating and Drinking Guide, so it may not be essential to buy both.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 02:46 PM

I love Time Out guides, a friend of mine who lives in Scotland buys them for me (I bought one on Amazon too) because they don't sell them here in Spain. I really never thought on buying the eating/drinking guides because my trips are usually very short or weekends and the city guides have enough places for me to choose from. Always fantastic results from their recommendations I plan to buy their cheap eats one for my next trip to London (whenever it comes !!)
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Is the cheap eats a condensed version of the larger Eating and Drinking guide? If so, would it be better to just by the Eating and Drinking guide?
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 03:03 PM

No, the cheap eats is a reduced version with only the budget options
So it depends on your budget...if you want to try more expensive places..then buy the Eating and Drinking guide which has it all. If you are going to try only budget places, then the cheap eats is great
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Definitely go for the Time Out guides, they are much more informative for restaurants and what's going on in the city you're visiting for the time you are there. Well worth the money. The big guides are good for the overall view of the big attractions, but if you want to see a show or catch a cool exhibit, you'll find it in the Time Out guides.
I have a really good recommendation for an Italian place in London if you'd like? Average prices with phenominal food - place is owned and ran by an Italian family. I usually go to London once a year and I go every time and they remember me each time like I'd just been there yesterday!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

cwoolner,

Sure - I would love the rec. for the Italian rest.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Hey Anna!

Here's the link to the website: http://www.pizzerialalanterna.co.uk/...age.asp?id=109

They are near the Tower Bridge on the South Bank side, on a little side street (Mill Street). They have the best Tiramisu I've ever had... makes my mouth water just thinking of it! Enjoy!