Search

TIme of Pope's General Audience

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:04 AM
RJD
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TIme of Pope's General Audience

Then new Pope, Benedict XVI, has started General Audiences in St. Peter's Square on Wednesday mornings. Does anyone reliably know the time these start? No luck with the Vatican site or a Google search.
Leaving for Rome tomorrow.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Are you saying the pope is not holding audiences in the papal audience chamber anymore on Wednesdays, but instead out in the square?

When I went to Rome in January, the Wednesday papal audience started at 10:30 AM in the papal audience chamber, but I was advised to get there early. I was seated around 9:30 AM, and there were numerous people already seated. I needed to prebook a (free) ticket with Santa Susanna and pick it up the night before.

What procedure are you following?
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Here's the latest from Santa Susanna:

http://www.santasusanna.org/popeVati...peVatican.html

It has always been my impression that in good weather the Wednesday audiences take place in St. Peter's Square and move inside during the winter months. I'm not sure what happens when the Pope moves to Castelgandolfo for the summer...

But I still haven't answered your question, I'm afraid... If you call Santa Susanna once you get to Rome, I'm sure they'll be able to tell you what time the audiences take place.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Assuming you have a hotel reservation in Rome, could you ask your hotel to inquire for you and, if possible, make a reservation?
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Papal Audiences begin at 10:30 am. Get there at least 45 minutes early in order to get a good seat, whether you are outside (in good weather) or inside the audience hall (very cold, very hot or rainy weather). If held outside, you don't need a ticket to stand behind the barricades. If there is open seating, you are usually able to take one of the seats at 10:30 even without a ticket. Most hotels can arrange for tickets but it is easily done through the Santa Susanna website.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 04:35 PM
rex

Too late for this to help you, if you are leaving tomorrow... but we pre-arranged our tickets through Santa Susanna. I believe that they (still?) offer you the opportunity to do that on Mondays or Tuesdays if you go there in person.

And from my one experience, it seems to me that the size crowds that attend the audiences in Piazza San Pietro could not fit inside anywhere.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:08 AM
RJD
Original Poster

Thanks for the excellent information. I'll probably go there on Wednesday morning if the weather's good.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 07:24 AM

According to this page from the Vatican Web site, the General Audience on May 4 will take place at 10:00 a.m.

http://vatican.mondosearch.com/cgi-b...+general+time+