Time in Rome vs. Florence

Feb 25th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Time in Rome vs. Florence

Hi,

We are traveling to Italy this summer for a wedding in Modena. We arrive in Rome mid-day on Sunday and need to be in Modena by Friday. So that leaves 5 (including Sunday) of sightseeing, with a train trip to Modena on Friday morning. We want to spend some time in Rome and Florence, and if we had more time, Sienna but we will probably skip that until the next trip.

We've been debating how long to stay in each city and would like input as to what you would do. We are both active & won't mind walking, etc. and would like to soak in as much as we can. We love art, architecture, history & food. Options include:

1. 3 days in Rome, 2 in Florence
2. 2 days in Rome, 3 in Florence
3. Spend all 5 days in just 1 location

Any input? After the wedding we are heading north to Lake Como so we won't be returning to either Rome or Florence.

Thanks,
Bob
Feb 25th, 2007, 08:58 AM

I personally would prefer option 2, but I would not stay in Florence but at a more central location in Tuscany. From there, I would visit Pisa (my favorite in Tuscany), Siena, San Gimignano, Volterra, Populonia and, of course, Florence.

2 days in Rome is sufficient to see the most important attractions, but you can also take option 1 if you are more deeply interested in art.
Feb 25th, 2007, 09:06 AM
nbujic

It is HOT in the summer any place you go in Italy.
I like Rome and would spend most ( if not all) of my time there. If you wish to take a train to Florence you can see the town ( not all the galleries ) in a day.

Driving around Tuscany in the summer would not be my choice.

Feb 25th, 2007, 01:02 PM
ira

Hi B,

Have you considered flying into Venice - 3 nights, train to Modena, train to Rome - 2 nights, fly home?

See www.kayak.com

Feb 25th, 2007, 01:03 PM
ira

PS,

Or train Modena to Florence and fly home from Florence FLR or Pisa PSA?
Feb 25th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Modena to Florence and fly home from there to Pisa. I would not do more in such a short period of time.
Feb 25th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Pick one city and do it well.
Rome is rich with activity and things to do.
Florence and Tuscany are a sight seers paradise.
buon viaggio
Feb 25th, 2007, 02:56 PM

I'd vote for 2 days in Rome, but it really comes down to individual taste. We spent 4 days Rome and I could have spent 3 more, but it was 2 too many for my husband! Rome is crowded, frenetic, and "edgy"...as opposed to Tuscany. If you do stay in Florence, I'd recommend the Hotel David (found a great rate on www.venere.com). I'd think of this as a "scouting" trip, to see what you like and plan your next, longer trip! Have fun!
Feb 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Can't change airports, flying into Rome, out of Venice on 2 weeks later. Sounds like whatever we do, we can't go wrong!
Feb 25th, 2007, 04:13 PM

I would also pick one city and be thorough. I've been to Rome 3 times in the last four years and honestly am regretting I only am allowing 3 days on my trip in April. Some people hate Rome, but I can't see why...it is beautiful and full of history every where you look. You can also spend the entire time in Florence just fine and I've done that as well.
Feb 25th, 2007, 04:15 PM

We have been to Rome twice, Seina once and Florence once. I would visit Rome for 2-3 full days, Seina one night and if you want to cut Rome one night, do Florence one night. There is so much to see in Rome. Sienna is delightful and so relaxful coming from Rome. Florence research well and see what your objectives are. We had reservations for David, but the the red hop on hop off bus as well.
Feb 25th, 2007, 04:17 PM

Forgot to mention checking out the Cinqe de Terra north of Pisa. We canceled a day in Milan and stayed another day in Riommargio. Gorgeous 5 hilltowns connected by bus, rail and boat.
Feb 26th, 2007, 07:21 AM

I've been to Rome 5 times. Each trip 5-7 nights. I really think it needs more than 2 nights. If you want Rome and Florence, I believe most would agree that Rome needs the extra day.
I highly recommend all 5 in Rome. We have had friends stay for only 3 and rushed like crazy to see all what they wanted to see.
Maybe you should research Rome and see what you want to experience there. This would help break down the days.
I also agree that Florence needs at least 2 nights to best experience it.
Mar 1st, 2007, 02:21 PM

Rome 2
Florence 3

I just found Florence and its environs more inviting and enjoyable than Rome. Alternatively, I'd go for all five in Florence personally if I weren't taking the wife who's never been to Italy at all.
Mar 1st, 2007, 02:39 PM

Hi, Bobby,

on teh premise that you're flying in from the US, you need to allow for jet-lag, which may well take care of sunday, and part of monday too.

then you say that you are leaving for modena on Friday am. so really, you only have 4 days, tops.

If you take off a day to move from Rome to flroence, you are really eating into your precious time, doing too much travelling.

As you are already contemplating a return to tuscany, why not postpone the delights of Florence altogether, and opt for Rome?

Then you can take your time to explore, fit in a trip to the Villa d'este if you want to get out of the city for a day, and not feel so rushed - important when it may be quite hot.

Good luck for your trip,

REgards, Ann
Mar 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM

Having stayed in Modena last year in July on business, you will find there is the best food in Italy in that area....Fried squash blossoms or squash tortellini is mouth watering. However, the wine is not so good, regardless of the price.

If you have a car "person", Maserati is made in Modena, and Ferrari is made about 15 miles away. You cannot tour the Ferrari factory, period, or even enter the Ferrari grounds in anything but a Ferrari, you still can go the 'museum' near by. Check out www.google.it and find it all out.

I'm not a Florence person...I've been there 3 times with others, and it's totally so-so.

I'd spend my time in Rome and then rest in Modena. Modena is about 20 minutes west of the Bologna train station, that is, when it's running on time.

Mellow out for a day or so in Modena before you have to get to the wedding.

The good thing is that the Emelia-Romagna is not touristy, so the room rates are lower. You can get a good hotel for the price of a crap hotel in Florence or Rome.

Check out www.trenitalia.com for details. Spend some time on this web site (look for English) and check out the IC+, which is a lot cheaper than Eurostar.

If you go to Lake Como (depends which part you are going to as this is a large lake), you will be able to go to Bologna to get a train to Milan, and then transfer to Lake Como.

Remember that you are primarily there to witness a good thing, and are not there to run a marathon of cities.
Mar 1st, 2007, 11:20 PM

We spent 2 nights in florence and 4 nights in rome last year, and it was about right for us. I wasn't much impressed with florence but loved rome and could have done with more time there.