Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tighnabruaich, Scotland. Any information will be helpful.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those who know about my winter trips do know that for the first couple of days I like to stay in smaller villages to get over jet lag. Last year it was North Berwick which fit the bill 100%.
In a search for this coming winter I came up with at first, Dudoon, but it is fairly large, around 8,000. I then read a bit about Tighnabruaich, a much smaller village. I can get there in about 2 1/2 hours by train, ferry and bus from Glasgow..
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I haven't been through Tighnabruaich for years; however my recollection is that it's a nice but not especially stirring destination.

A couple of other thoughts regarding places in Argyll that might fit your interests (which I share, by the way, when traveling to unfamiliar places - go small until you have your body clock adjusted.) One is Kilmartin and Kilmartin Glen, which is tiny compared even to Tighnabruaich, but which offers some stunning views and walks through the prehistoric cairns, stone circles and other Celtic-era bits and pieces littering the valley floor below the ancient Kilmartin church. Kilmartin is very hard to access without a car, however. In the winter it's possibly the most atmospheric place I've been to in the western Highlands.

Easier without a car is the village of Inveraray, which is closer to Glasgow than Tighnabruaich and faster to reach using public transport. Inverary is something of a "model village" built by the Campbells, whose ancestral home, Inveraray Castle (adjoining) is an amazing relic of Victorian-era hubris sitting atop a much older site.

The village (pop. under 1000 I think) is very picturesque, and its setting, on the shore of Loch Fyne, is superb. It won't be crowded in winter, that's for sure, but there will be adequate facilities for visitors.

I'd google them both.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Years ago I stayed in the Kames hotel in Tighnabruaich over Hogmanay. I think it would be a great place for you to unwind for the first couple of days.

-- I was living in the UK at the time and we just picked a place on the map that looked off the beaten path. We phoned them (this was before main stream internet access) asking about their rates for New Years - never thinking to ask if they were actually open at that time of year. They gave us the rates and we jumped at it. Well, come to find out - back then the hotel wasn't open in winter - though the attached pub was year round. They figured "what the hecK' we'll have paying customers. So we show up (husband, Airedale, Scottie, in a Morgan rag top) after getting stranded in the snow and having to be towed out by a local farmer 3 days before New Year as the only guests. We were wined and dined (well actually beer'd and whisky'd) royally and even went first footing w/the whole village. It was absolutely the best New Years I ever experienced. --

I haven't stayed there in years but have driven through the area and it really is a beautiful corner of the country.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 12:02 PM

I was born and brought up there.

Janis, the small public bar of the Kames Hotel was known for many years as the Glue Pot. Once in, it was almost impossible to get out. My family were crofters along at Ardlamont Point about 4 miles from Kames and I had seven uncles who walked that unlit long coast road to the Glue Pot every single night (apart from a Sunday, God forbid). One uncle in particular was occasionally found at the side of the same road on a winter’s morning, covered in frost. He was usually so drunk he couldn’t make it so home so lay down and slept.

Roger, Tighnabruaich has changed since I lived there. A wee bit more development particularly towards Ardlamont. Also, it now has a golf course. Quite the most spectacular views from it too. Apart from those, it is much the same although one thing I should mention is that the direct daily steamers, including the mail boat, no longer operate. There are day steamer trips operated from Glasgow but I think only once a week in the summer.

A particularly scenic route (before the 'New Road' was built from Dunoon) is to come in from Glasgow, along Loch Lomond to Tarbet then Arrochar. Drive up Rest and be Thankful and you will eventually come to a road junction. Take the right hand turn and you will arrive in Inverary, well described by gardyloo. Take the left turn and you journey along the other side of Loch Fyne to Otter Ferry, over the hill to Kilfinan (or Millhouse, should you choose) and arrive in Kames. To its left is Tighnabruaich. On much of this route you will see General Wade's road.

I think the route you mention will be train to Gourock or Wemyss Bay and ferry to Dunoon, then the local bus to Tighnabruaich. Using the new road from Dunoon, the scenery is equally spectacular particularly around the Glendaruel area.

Tighnabruaich remains a popular yachting destination and the view from most homes in the village is very, very nice. Not much else to do though but there are some fantastic walks.

I think you should give it a go!

Get back to me if you need any more information. I can think of a few hidden places e.g. small settlements of ruined crofts where local folks lived centuries ago, my own family included. A casual passerby would never find those but I’d be happy to give you directions on how to discover them.

I have to mention though that I left there almost 40 years ago so some ‘modern’ details I may need to get from family who are still there.

Bill
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
billbarr: That is terrific! Yes, the views are amazing.

Maybe I met some of your uncles One large ginger haired man spent the entire 4 days we were there in the bar drinking whisky w/ beer chasers (boiler makers) just about non stop. My ex could drink w/ the best of 'em but he was in awe of this fellow

When every one was dancing in the bar, the floor literally bounced up and down!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM

You probably did meet them, Janis. The irony is that just behind the Kames hotel you may recall a hill leading up to some small shops etc and the kirk. That same kirk was fire and brimstone stuff, of legend. So close and yet so far. All of those seven uncles were at the church service every Sunday and listened to the condemnation of the evils of drink!!!!

Right in front of the hotel is the old Kames Pier. It was once more important than the same at Tighnabruaich. Lots of tales and 'mysteries' about it.

In the early 1940's the four mile stretch from Kames to Ardrlamont was locked out to locals. The army and navy moved in and the beaches there were used as a practice ground for the Normandy landings. Walk along the beautiful barren beach these days and spent bullet shells can still be found. My old Aunt Annie never forgave them for 1) having the nerve to move her out of her little cottage for a few years and then 2) blowing up her wash house with their live ammunition!

God love her but she probably put a curse on them.

Bill
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Bill, that's a great story.

Roger, you continue to baffle me with your insanity. The capacity for this to go wrong is immense.

Have a look at Wemyss Bay, Rothesay and Dunoon. Tighnabruich is lovely (I spent New Year there a few years ago) but if you are flying into Glasgow, you then have to get to Gourock, cross the Clyde on a ferry and then get a connecting bus. And that's the SHORT version.

The ferries often don't run in the depths of winter. You'd LOVE Wemyss Bay, tho'