Tickets to Font de Gaume

Old Jan 4th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tickets to Font de Gaume

Tickets to Font-de-Gaume for 2017 went on sale yesterday. Their computers are down, but I can get tickets within a few days (of now) for anyone wanting to visit this spectacular site. I went by the site today and talked to the cashier who knows me well, and she was very accommodating but also pretty insistent that ticket sales would be fast and furious, as they have been in the past few years.

If you're visiting the Dordogne this year and wanting tickets, you need to act FAST to get tickets. Either go on their website (I think it's only in French, but not sure) or want me to obtain tickets for you, let me know. They become almost impossible to get after about March.

I am at StCirq at aol dot com. Am happy to swing by the office as I am in Les Eyzies every few days or so. Will just need full names and ages of people wanting tickets. We can always meet in Les Eyzies to hand off the tickets to you - we are 10 minutes away.

The tickets, BTW, are also for Les Combarelles, just down the road. They are only 7€ for adults, as far as I know (prices may have gone up this year - I forgot to ask).

F-d-G is likely to shut down forever sometime soon, so if you are in the area and interested, this is something you really (IMO) should take the time to see.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 11:53 AM

Though I will not be there thanks for posting this for others -topping before it sinks out of view.

Great great what you are willing to do!

Cheers!
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

I'm just trying to help because it is a really important site and it's close to impossible to get tickets, and so many people are disappointed, and it will be gone in a few years. And that will be tragic, IMO.

Thanks, Pal.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 05:31 PM
kja

It is so very kind of you to provide this service, StCirq -- you rock!
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 05:37 PM

How very nice of you to offer this, St. Cirq!

For anyone going to the region, make a visit to the Font de Gaume. It was a highlight of our (too long ago now) visit to the Dordogne. There's something so thrilling entering the site -- sad to hear that it might close.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 07:23 PM

"highlight." agreed!!
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 08:32 PM

That is so nice of you! As it happens I emailed them earlier today trying to obtain information as I wish to obtain tickets for September. I will email you tomorrow. Thank you!
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 12:21 AM

Thanks for the heads up! and the offer, very helpful.

I emailed our apartment rental, but the owner seems to think that the ticket office is not open yet. Would be nice if he can arrange the tix for us, but if not, I may be emailing you.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 04:01 AM

Thank you StCirq, that's very kind of you.
I would like to see Font de Gaume very much, but I don't know yet which date it would be. By the time I know it, all tickets would have probably gone, ha.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

The ticket office is very much open. I was there in person yesterday.

sundriedtopepo and FurryFluffy, even if you have a vague idea of when you might be able to go, I will be happy to buy tickets for a bunch of days. They are only 7 € apiece and I can probably fob them off on friends and neighbors here if you can't show up on a certain date.. Don't put it off if you want to go - these tickets are worth a lot if the whole place shuts down forever!

You may have to suffer meeting us at the Café de la Mairie and buying us a coffee or a glass of wine, but life could be worse, non?
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 05:17 AM

I will try to narrow down my possibility then!
Font de Gaume has been on my must-list since last year, but somehow I had more "urgent" must-places.

And buying you a coffee or a glass of wine would be a bonus for me.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 09:03 AM

Please don't ignore Les Combarelles. In some ways I like it better than Font de Gaume, though it was damper and a tighter fit for my 6'3". I sort of felt that the artists had a sense of humor.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

The ticket to Font-de-Gaume gets you into Les Combarelles also, so you can easily combine them. The visits are timed.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 05:47 PM
kja

Another voice encouraging people to see both -- they are such different experiences, and each is extraordinary!
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 06:13 PM

StCirq, this is an incredibly kind and generous offer, and I am so grateful if this is still possible. I have just sent you an email. Please reply here if you don't get it for some reason. Merci beaucoup! Russ
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 09:24 AM

Topping for others.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Pal. I'm going tomorrow to get tickets for 10 Fodorites and will be happy to go again, anytime. We're not traveling for the foreseeable future, and Les Eyzies is just down the road, so it's not a hardship at all. And I'm a bit fanatical about how important these sites are and will be devastated when people can no longer see them.

Though there are avid prehistorians here who will always be out there discovering new sites. There must be so very many yet undiscovered.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 12:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
How tight is the space in the cave asks the claustrophobic one.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 12:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Just saw your answer on another thread.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

yestravel, DH was a bit (not too much, but noticeably) claustrophobic in Lascaux II. Don't know how he will react to F-d-G, as he's never been there (tried many times but couldn't get tickets, which is why I post these notices after January 1 now). I don't get bothered by close spaces, so it's hard for me to say. The spaces are narrow, the "ceilings" are low, but then you get to these big, open spaces that aren't at all intimidating. And you're also seeing some pretty amazing, IMO, stuff, so it's not hard to direct your attention to the beautiful things around you and the commentary, as opposed to the confines of where you are.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -