Three week itinerary for Eastern Sicily October/November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. Many thanks to everyone who contributes to this site all the great information about Sicily from experts, travelers, and guides.

Putting together a tentative itinerary for this coming fall. (October/November). Our dates are not firm yet partly because of trying to figure out the best time to go, and the least number of flight changes that we will have to take. we know we can’t fly direct from Canada and will have to stop at least once,.

Many have suggested that it is ideal to fly into one of Catania or Palermo, and fly out through the other. So we are currently looking at that. But we don’t want to do it if it will result in extra cost or Extra flights.

Anyway, here is one scenario which would be landing in Palermo and leaving from Catania. I should add we are looking at staying about 21 days and prefer only 4 bases. to stay longer in each place to really get the taste of where were at. We will have a car (except for Palermo), and will certainly consider doing day trips. 45- 75 minutes away.

We have not booked accommodation yet, and I don’t have a moment by moment or even day by day schedule just doing an initial layout .

All of Sicily looks wonderful, but we are going to focus on the eastern side and hopefully will get back to do more on the western half next time.

So if we arrive in Palermo and are able to depart from Catania :

Stop 1 - Palermo 2 nights

Private tour the second day to get a taste of the city

Stop 2 Aeolians 4 or 5

Might split between Lipari and Salina

Stop 3 Taormina 4 nights

Day trips and lots of walking

Stop 4 Siracusa 5 nights

Stop 5 Ragusa 4 or 5

Then overnight near departing city

If we arrive in Catania:

Arrive Catania -drive either be driven or drive to Milazzo (drive is 90 minutes)

Milazzo 1 night?

Stop: #1

4 or 5 Nights Aeolians

Return from Aeolians drive 1:41 to Taormina

Stop#2

4 or 5 Nights Taormina

Drive 1 hour and 20 minutes to Siracusa/ortiga

Stop# 3

5 nights

Drive 1 hour and 16 minutes To spend 5 Nights Ragusa (do noto and modica on day trips
Stop # 4

Then, spend last night near Catania
Suggestions for sights, accommodation, guides or itinerary tweaks most gratefully appreciated.
Thankyou.

Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 11:23 AM

We have been in Sicily three times since last May. Our first of those trips was chronicled in a very long trip report: Ultimate Month in Sicily

Since your stay is longer than many most, you may find what we were able to do in one month helpful. We travel aggressively and visited 76 places and drove 3,000 km. Obviously, not for everyone.

On our first trip to Sicily many years ago, we had one week and did fly into Palermo and out of Catania. That worked well for a short trip. I don't think you would need to do that for a three week trip. The two airports are only a few hours away from each other.

In my report, we discussed our reasons, for example, for choosing Lipari as our Aeolian island base (with a day trip to very quiet Salina).
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whitehall
We have been in Sicily three times since last May. Our first of those trips was chronicled in a very long trip report: Ultimate Month in Sicily

Since your stay is longer than many most, you may find what we were able to do in one month helpful. We travel aggressively and visited 76 places and drove 3,000 km. Obviously, not for everyone.

On our first trip to Sicily many years ago, we had one week and did fly into Palermo and out of Catania. That worked well for a short trip. I don't think you would need to do that for a three week trip. The two airports are only a few hours away from each other.

In my report, we discussed our reasons, for example, for choosing Lipari as our Aeolian island base (with a day trip to very quiet Salina).

thank you so much. We have decided that we will indeed only choose four or five basis. It will not be the trip that sees everything. We can only take in and enjoy so much on any given day. Too much driving or too many changes in residences doesn’t work for us. But I am going to savour your report and make sure that I pull from where I think we will go. Awesome report.