Three for London - October

Old Dec 29th, 2016, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three for London - October

Considering taking our little band of three (hubs, myself, and our 9-year-old) to London in October. Little man has traveled extensively in the U.S., and we took him on his first international jaunt this year (Vancouver, Canada, in June), but this will be his first time crossing the pond.

I've been briefly to London once, and hubs has never been. We're cranking up the research for such a trip now. A couple of questions I'd like your general take on as we begin doing our homework:

1.) 10 days or 2 full weeks? The longer we stay, the more likely we'll venture past London for day trips and/or overnights in places like Dover, Salisbury, etc. Advice here?

2.) Top family activities? The London Eye looks fun, as does the production set for the Harry Potter films. And little man is old enough to appreciate the history of places like the Tower of London, etc. Any specific recommendations that top your list?

3.) Aside from guidebooks, any recommended family reading to contribute meaning to our trip? My son is a huge Harry Potter fan, and we've read all of those books. What else would you suggest that might stoke excitement in the destination that's appropriate for a 9-year-old boy?
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 06:36 PM

Two weeks is better than 10 days, longer if you can manage it. You won't run out of things to do and see. And like you said, a longer stay will allow for day trips.
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 07:07 PM

My nephew is 8 - knowing there's sometimes a lot of difference between 8 and 9 and every kid is different, if I were taking him, I'd show him the Natural History Museum and parts of the British Museum (he'd love the Easter Island statues and the Egypt room).

I believe London Walks does a Harry Potter tour - I haven't taken it, but every walk I've done with them has been excellent. walks.com

I love London; it's one of my very favorite cities in the world. But with two weeks available you might look into going to Edinburgh as well for a couple of days - easy train ride, a great fortress-style castle, something a little different from London. Depends on what you all like, of course. You certainly have tons of options for day trips from London.
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 11:11 PM

If you're thinking of going to the Harry Potter studio tour, book well in advance as it sells out quickly.
Old Dec 31st, 2016, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! If anyone has other recs for kid-friendly activities in the London area, I'm all ears!

Years ago, I did spend 9 days in Edinburgh for the Fringe Festival. Loved it!! This go-round, though, we'll likely stay closer to London. I could see day trips/overnights to see Stonehenge, Dover Castle, etc. Would be interested in any recommendations there!
Old Dec 31st, 2016, 11:41 AM

Top family activities?>

The Eye Over London Ferris wheel will delight all ages - do it first and get a great overview of London from far up. London also has an acclaimed Aquarium.
Old Dec 31st, 2016, 01:16 PM

The Museum of London is one of the best for families. Have a look at their website. www.museumoflondon.org.uk
Old Dec 31st, 2016, 01:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Acclaimed . . . Not so much. Just an aquarium. And the Eye (PQ knows it isn't a Ferris Wheel but he like to stir) is totally weather-dependent so ride it when you can actually see something.

My top 2 for kids - the Tower and Hampton Court Palace, followed closely by the Natural History and British museums.

Then a ride on a double decker bus and a ride in a London taxi and a paddle boat in Hyde Park and watching buskers in Covent Garden. The Lion King or Matilda.
Old Dec 31st, 2016, 01:29 PM

And the Eye (PQ knows it isn't a Ferris Wheel but he like to stir>

Janis dear please read the Wikipedia description that like moi says "Ferris wheel"-it seems that you may not know what a Ferris wheel is-you are the one here stirring up things with no basis!

The London Eye is a giant *** Ferris wheel *** on the South Bank of the River Thames in London. Also known as the Millennium Wheel, it has also been called by its owners the British Airways London Eye, then the Merlin Entertainments London Eye, then the EDF Energy London Eye. Since mid-January 2015, it has been known as the Coca-Cola London Eye, following an agreement signed in September 2014.[8]

Further more janis read Wiki's description of a Ferris wheel:

A Ferris wheel (sometimes called a big wheel, observation wheel, or, in the case of the very tallest examples, giant wheel) is a non-building structure consisting of a rotating upright wheel with multiple passenger-carrying components (commonly referred to as passenger cars, cabins, capsules, gondolas, or pods) attached to the rim in such a way that as the wheel turns, they are kept upright, usually by gravity.>

And they go on to say the London Eye is one of the world's biggest Ferris wheel"

What is your reason for not considering the Eye a Ferris wheel -I wish you would study up on the subject before making baseless accusations!

Cheers!

Happy New Year
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 01:46 AM

Apparently it's NOT a Ferris wheel:
https://www.visitbritainshop.com/wor...he-london-eye/
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 05:17 AM

He only does it to annoy because he knows it teases.

I'd echo the Tower and British Museum. As it's free, there's no need to stay in the Museum until you're bored. The Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green is fun for adults too. "I had one of those!"
Your son might be interested in the Ragged School http://www.raggedschoolmuseum.org.uk
You will need to check opening hours, though.
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 05:19 AM

He only does it to annoy because he knows it teases.

I'd echo the Tower and British Museum. As it's free, there's no need to stay in the Museum until you're bored. The Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green is fun for adults too. "I had one of those!"
Your son might be interested in the Ragged School http://www.raggedschoolmuseum.org.uk
You will need to check opening hours, though.
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 05:45 AM

The horse guards in Whitehall would be a fun thing for a 9-year-old. Unlike the changing of the guard at Buckingham, you can stand right next to the man and the horse (but not too close...horses bite!).

The London Transport Museum (right off Covent Garden) might also be interesting, but only if he likes that sort of thing. (I love it!)

British Museum is great.

A day-trip to Hampton Court is also fun...they often have people in period costume demonstrating things.

...and, of course, Stonehenge...maybe too far for a day-trip (~2:00 by car) but a nice overnight.

ssander
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 10:32 AM

He only does it to annoy because he knows it teases.>

Not at all - it is a Ferris wheel in American parlance- I'll take Wiki anytime - that said now that the visitbritain says it is not I'll adjust my term just to Observation Wheel to please nickpickers - but believe me to Americans it is a Ferris wheel though I guess technically not - at a party last night a friend said without prompt "we rode the Ferris wheel in London".

Cheers!
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 11:17 AM
mjs

We took our children first to London when they were around the same age as yours and did not find that we needed to alter our activities much for them except perhaps timing. Did see Mousetrap and Lion King for them. Parents were bored by Lion King, children just ok with it.
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 11:25 AM

http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/

The London Transport Museum is fun for kids - and they go free - at Covent Garden where there are also street performers -magicians,etc:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lond...HQMPBHYQsAQIGQ

The LT Museum is at Covent Garden whose ubiquitous street performers can also be fun for kids and adults too:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cove...Hf45AScQsAQIIw

The London Transport Museum's gift shop is I think free entry and you can get those iconic Tube posters - toy double-deckers and a potpourri of London Transport souvenirs.

I'll second Hampton Court as a great place for kids too - as are boat rides on Thames there.
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 01:28 PM

Imagine quoting Wikipedia as a reliable source !!!!!!
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

These suggestions are fantastic, and the links look amazing!! Thank you guys so much!! Based on some of these suggestions alone, I think little man will LOVE London!

Re: Ferris wheels - I just finished reading Devil in the White City, which details America's first Ferris Wheel at the Chicago World's Fair (AKA Columbian Exposition) in 1893. Fascinating stuff. I've learned that Scorcese and DiCaprio have optioned the film rights to this book and seem to be moving forward with a project! Can't wait!!

Also, we rode a similar contraption in Las Vegas in March 2016, and we LOVED it!! Saw the sun set and the Strip light up during out go-round. Lovely views!
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 12:50 AM

Just re-read this thread...

I also recommend the Museum of Childhood...exceptional for a 9-year-old.

ssander
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 12:45 PM

. Did see Mousetrap and Lion King for them. Parents were bored by Lion King, children just ok with it.>

tricky thing choosing plays both will like- kids may be better at a matinee and don't forget TKTS discounted ticket booth in Leicester Square for bargains on dozens of plays.

http://www.tkts.co.uk/