Three days in Rome

Search

Three days in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three days in Rome

I'll be in Rome during the third week in February, for three days. I'll be staying at the Sofitel Roma Villa Borghese, that's a given and not deabtable. I really don't want to spend my time in long queues or in crowds. Does anyone have any suggestions for lesser known sights? The hidden gems?
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM

You might want to pick up a copy of the book "City Secrets, Rome" which has many lesser known sights listed. There is also a book called "Little Known Museums in and Around Rome" that has some great ideas. You don't say if this is your first visit to Rome and if not, what already you have seen. I highly recommend the Borghese Gallery. You must have a reservation so you don't need to stand in long lines there. But in the middle of Feb. you are unlikely to see long lines anywhere except for possibly the Vatican and Colosseum.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:05 PM

It all depends on your interests, of course, but here are two places that I really enjoyed. They are a little bit lesser known, though not hidden by any means. And they are within easy walking distance of each other...

<b>The Palazzo Massimo alle Terme</b> is part of the National Museum of Rome complex and houses Greek and Roman scuplture, mosaics, and coins. The collections are outstanding, if you have any interest in those areas I would really recommend this museum.

<b>Santa Prassede</b> is within easy walking distance of the Palazzo Massimo. It's a little church (technically a basilica, I think) that has the most beautiful mosaics imaginable. Inside there is the Chapel of St. Zeno and literally every inch of it is covered in shining gold and jewel tones.

http://tinyurl.com/ys627s

There are two other very interesting and very different churches nearby to visit, as well- Santa Maria Maggiore and Santa Pudenziana, both with beautiful mosaics (although Prassade takes the cake)

These are all very close to each other, and depending on how much time you like to take museums you could see all four in 1/2 day.

You can actually pre-reserve a time slot to visit the Vatican Museums now, too. There may be some crowds but you wouldn't have to stand in line to get in.

And you might be able to get a place on a Scavi Tour.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Apres_Londee...

Funny you should mention The Palazzo Massimo alle Terme. I was also going to suggest this.

I was just there in December and went later in the day 4pm-ish and there were very few people and I thought the collections were great...not only the sculpture but the coin collection too! Very interesting!
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Here are a few great churches, that go beyond being &quot;churches&quot;...

Church of Santa Maria della Concezione
This is also the home of the Capuchin Crypts. Right next to the Barberini metro stop on Via Veneto.

Santa Maria della Vittoria, home of Bernini's masterpiece &quot;Ecstasy of St. Theresa&quot;. Walk up Via Barberini about 5 blocks to the corner at Via XX Septembre.

Church Santa Maria degli Angeli. Michelangelo's wonder, built inside the ancient Baths of Diocletian. While here, try to also visit the National Museum. From Vittoria, walk down Via Emanuele about 3 blocks.

Ride the 81, 87 or 492 buses to see the city. Take the metro to the Circo Massimo stop then take the 118 bus out to the Appian Way.

dave
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Hi LowCountryIslander,

I loved the Palazzo Massimo, everything about it- the collections, the museum and the way things were displayed...even the toliets were pretty darn nice!

I think my jaw was hanging open during my entire visit- the sculpture in particular blew me away.