Reload this Page >

Three 20 something Women traveling in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 11:54 AM
Shelly

We are three young women traveling in Italy primarily in Rome for the first time and would like to get some advice on Safety, areas to go or stay away from, etc. We have all traveled other places through out the world, but have heard some horror stories about certain places in Italy. Any feedback would be great!!

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 01:03 PM
Aileen

Shelley, <BR> <BR>From my experience, Rome is no more dangerous then any other large city. You should use the same rules there that you would anywhere else you travel. Stay togeather and watch out for each other. It is OK to talk to locals and other travelers, but do not put yourself in there control - don't follow them someplace at night and don't accept rides. If you are drinking, make sure one person stys somewhat sober and maintains their commen sense. <BR>We walked all around central Rome during the day. Your major concern then is pickpockets. Be especially careful in crowds, shops and tourist areas. Be aware of the tricks used and watch for them. We never had problems. They seem to target couples and the elderly. <BR> <BR>At night we walked between the Campo di Fioro (which was a great party spot 3 years ago but was under construction at the end on 99) P. Farnase(SP?) and the Trevi fountain and had no problems. We dressed a little more conservatively then we do at home , just to be safe, and did not carry much money or our passports at night. <BR>I do not know were else you are going but we also felt very safe in Venice also. <BR> <BR>Have a great time. <BR>Aileen <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 08:07 AM
Liz

Don't worry about it! Italy is not a problem. People tell you the problems because 'I had a trouble-free holiday' is just not news! <BR> <BR>I've just got back from Milan, and the biggest problem was that I DIDN'T have my bum pinched by randy Italians. What's wrong with my bum, that's what I want to know!

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 01:10 PM
Shanna

Oh, Liz, you made me laugh. Shelly, go go go and don't worry. I've been to Italy (Rome etc) twice, never had a problem, although sometime I'll tell about Adamo and his idea of Rome at night. My first trip I was 23 and my bum was pinched - by a six year old! People are nice, friendly, helpful, and no one ever bothered me, although you must adopt "the look" that Roman women have: pick out a point in the distance and keep your eye on it, look neither right nor left. The Roman men love to talk to women and will try to catch your eye. If you are headed somewhere in particular, it can be an impediment and a nuisance - but oh what a pleasant nuisance! Keep your eyes open for those areas that would concern you at home: poorly lit streets, rowdy types, trashy neighborhoods, etc. And have a good map so you know where you are in relation to where you want to be. Otherwise - Have fun!

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 01:18 PM
Richard

Traveling in Italy, primarily in Rome!For a fun time, go to Naples, burn a tire.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 01:25 PM
Roger & Amy

Shelly, <BR> <BR> We found Rome to be safe. Just use your head and stay out of dark places. Walk fast and with a purpose. Stay on well lit streets at night <BR>

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 02:52 PM
SharonM

...Just don't run. especially if you're carrying scissors...