Thoughts on London Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2023, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I will be travelling to London early July. We will have adjusted to the time change since we will have been in Athens, Greece the week prior. We are staying near Victoria Station. It's my daughter's first visit (she is 12). Would love to get some thoughts on the itinerary so far. The sights I've included are based on the top things that each of us have interest in doing/seeing. That said, if there are any opportunities to add some things or possibly move things around, any suggestions are welcome. The only firm plans we have are Thursday, July 6th (tea and the theater). This board has always been so helpful and had great ideas for our past trips, so thank you in advance for your thoughts, suggestions and feedback.

Sunday, July 2: Land at Gatwick 1:50pm (13:50 London time). Hoping to get into the city/check into hotel around 3:30pm.
Weather permitting, taking Janisj's suggestion of a walk from our hotel to Buckingham Palace, St. James Park, the Mall, Horseguard Parade, down Whitehall, perhaps catching glimpses of Big Ben/Westminster Abbey and head to Trafalgar Square.
From there, to Kings Cross Station to take the Harry Potter photo op. Suggestions on how to get to Kings Cross (would love my daughter to experience riding on a classic double decker bus and a British cab, so would this be a good way to do one of them?)
afterwards, most likely take tube back to hotel to freshen up and grab a bite.

Monday, July 3rd:
Morning: Tower of London (plan on getting advanced tickets for 10am opening)
Lunch: head to Spitalfields (either walk or public transport there) to eat and explore market
Late Afternoon: Not sure what to do after this - maybe a trip to the National Gallery??
Evening: ???

Tuesday, July 4th:
Morning: V&A Museum (10am when they open)
Noonish: lunch
Sometime in the afternoon we are meeting friends from the states at Harrod's to explore the toy dept and grab a treat
Any other ideas for afternoon/evening?

Wed, July 5th:
Train to Bath - full day to explore - Train back to London in the evening - it can be a long day, so open to suggestions.

Thurs, July 6th:
Morning: train to Windsor
Tour Windsor Castle and see changing of the guards at 11am (not sure if we should start touring castle grounds before the ceremony or afterwards?)
Afternoon: need to take train back to city center (arrive back by 3pm, latest I think) so we have enough time to freshen up and change for afternoon tea at The Savoy - we have 4:15pm reservations.
Evening: 7pm Theater tickets (Matilda)

Friday, July 7th:
Morning: Tour Westminster Abbey when they open at 9:30am (I plan on making advanced reservations)
grab a light bite or early lunch
Early Afternoon: Churchill War Rooms
Late Afternoon: possibly take a short river boat ride down the Thames - to Tower Bridge? to Greenwich?
Evening: ????

Sat, July 8th:
Fly home. We have a late morning flight, so planning for a travel day and head straight to Heathrow (best transportation there?)

Thoughts?!

Last edited by kimberlyb; Apr 26th, 2023 at 05:42 PM.
Old Apr 26th, 2023, 06:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just some random comments:

3:30 hotel arrival may be a bit optimistic on Sunday. It is a quick train ride up from LGW right into Victoria station. But Immigration and luggage retrieval can be a mess (though usually better at LGW than at LHR). But not to worry -- you won't have jet lag and it will be light very late.

There are more double decker buses than not-double-deckers, and you'll have plenty of opportunities for catching taxis so no need to plan those. If you are at Trafalgar Sq just hop in the tube at Charing Cross straight to Kings Cross.

I'd definitely take a taxi to the Savoy for your tea. So posh arriving in the Savoy Court

With a 10AM arrival at the Tower that may be a pretty late lunch at Spitalfields - I wouldn't count on leaving the Tower until after 1PM

More later . . .
Old Apr 26th, 2023, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sun 2 July - this sounds optimistic. Are you getting the train from Gatwick? It all takes longer than you think it will. Likely you will run out of time (or energy) to do all on your list for that day.
Mon 3 July - this may work but it sounds like a lot. You might want more time at The Tower. Maybe pick either the gallery or the market or see how it works out on the day.
Tues 4 July - this could work, evening you could check which London Walks are on https://www.walks.com/ or if there's a concert at St Martin-in-the-Fields. Will your daughter cope with full days and out in the evenings too?
Wed 5 July - If any of you are tired, you can always rest on the train back to London. If it's really late, take something to eat on the train with you.
Thurs 6 July - with Windsor Castle, I'd check with the castle staff before you go in, to ask about the Changing of the Guard. They can tell you exactly where it will happen and how much time you have beforehand. Savoy and the theatre - I'd guess about 2 hours for tea, it doesn't give you a lot of time to get to the theatre but maybe they are close together?
Fri 7 July - a busy day, you might need to choose between the War Rooms and the ferry. If you do have time, get a boat down to Greenwich. Lots to see there if you have time. Maybe have dinner in Greenwich.
To get to Heathrow, most people get the tube or book a car transfer. The tube is cheaper and may be quicker, depending on traffic.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KayF
Sun 2 July - this sounds optimistic. Are you getting the train from Gatwick? It all takes longer than you think it will. Likely you will run out of time (or energy) to do all on your list for that day.
Mon 3 July - this may work but it sounds like a lot. You might want more time at The Tower. Maybe pick either the gallery or the market or see how it works out on the day.
Tues 4 July - this could work, evening you could check which London Walks are on https://www.walks.com/ or if there's a concert at St Martin-in-the-Fields. Will your daughter cope with full days and out in the evenings too?
Wed 5 July - If any of you are tired, you can always rest on the train back to London. If it's really late, take something to eat on the train with you.
Thurs 6 July - with Windsor Castle, I'd check with the castle staff before you go in, to ask about the Changing of the Guard. They can tell you exactly where it will happen and how much time you have beforehand. Savoy and the theatre - I'd guess about 2 hours for tea, it doesn't give you a lot of time to get to the theatre but maybe they are close together?
Fri 7 July - a busy day, you might need to choose between the War Rooms and the ferry. If you do have time, get a boat down to Greenwich. Lots to see there if you have time. Maybe have dinner in Greenwich.
To get to Heathrow, most people get the tube or book a car transfer. The tube is cheaper and may be quicker, depending on traffic.
Kayf, thanks thanks feedback.
Sun- since it stays light outside late in the summer, we can walk as much as we can. We are active and moving our legs after the travel will probably feel good. Anything we aren't able to walk by can get pushed to later in the week (or eliminated). We just want to take a walk.
Mon - only interested in the Impressionist section at the Natl Gallery. It's not a must. So if we don't have time then we will skip. I just wanted to have an option available.
Tues - will take a look at London Walks. My husband I and don't feel the Jack the Ripper one is appropriate for our daughter, but as for walking all day she is very active and would love being out and about all day!
Thurs - will ask Windsor Castle staff. Thank you. As for tea, the Savoy allows up to 1hr and 45 minutes o we have to be out by 6pm. The theater appears to be about 10 minutes away, so I think we will be fine.
Fri - War Rooms are our priority - it's the one thing most important to my husband since we never made it there on our last trip. We don't have to go to Greenwich. I just thought that might be a relaxing way to end the day, especially since we will be near the Westminster boat location. We will have Oyster cards and thought some boats are only about 30 minutes?
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 04:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'd move the War Rooms to earlier in the week, not chancing to leave it on the last day if it's truly the one thing you want to get to. I'd leave the "could be eliminated" or "not a must" for your last day.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Amyb, I appreciate the suggestion, however I'm trying to plan for things in similar areas so we are minimizing traveling times thru the city. The V&A is the one museum my daughter wants to see, so I could switch that to Friday, but we have plans to meet friends at Harrods on Tuesdsy afternoon, so it seemed better to stay in that area. Originally I had planned for Westminster Abbey and the War Rooms on Tuesday, but the Abbey is closed that Tues and Wed which is why I switched them both.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 06:12 AM

The V&A has no entry fee, so it can be a fill in for an odd free hour on multiple days.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 12:07 PM

On our last trip to London, we had two young teens. We did a lot of what you've included and had a great time but we had two weeks in a flat in London as our base. If we were going now, we'd probably do a Harry Potter film tour since our daughters were fans of the series. You might look at the London Eye; it's pricey but fun to get that bird's eye view of London. Bath, Windsor, and the suggestion about Greenwich are all great ideas. I probably wouldn't do the Windsor trip the same day as the tea because it's a fun town to wander in and maybe you'll be rushed?
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 12:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kimberlyb
Amyb, I appreciate the suggestion, however I'm trying to plan for things in similar areas so we are minimizing traveling times thru the city. The V&A is the one museum my daughter wants to see, so I could switch that to Friday, but we have plans to meet friends at Harrods on Tuesdsy afternoon, so it seemed better to stay in that area. Originally I had planned for Westminster Abbey and the War Rooms on Tuesday, but the Abbey is closed that Tues and Wed which is why I switched them both.
I get it. It's just that "stuff happens". Unexpected closings, bomb scares, transport shutdowns, you all get sick, etc. I just always front-stack the high priority stuff so I don't miss it. I'd do Windsor on the Friday, again not wanting to rely on transport or rushing a visit there just to make it back for 3pm and your tea/theatre. The Abbey and War Rooms on the same day as tea/theatre makes for a comfortable day and not one that is rushed.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 12:49 PM

I really do agree with amyb. I personally would not be comfortable trying to fit in Windsor and afternoon tea at the Savoy on the same day. I'd stay in London that whole day and visit Windsor some other day.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
I really do agree with amyb. I personally would not be comfortable trying to fit in Windsor and afternoon tea at the Savoy on the same day. I'd stay in London that whole day and visit Windsor some other day.
We were hoping to see the changing of the guards at Windsor Castle and its not offered every day. If we did move Windsor Castle to Friday, which is our last day in London, would train travel be busier (or greater chance of a transport strike) on a Friday? The top 2 things my daughter wants is to see the inside of a palace and visit the V&A.

Am I misguided thinking that touring Windsor Castle only takes about 1.5 to 2 hours? We have no interest in walking through the town given our other commitments. I have read on this board that Windsor Castle visit is a half day commitment. I thought that included the 1.5 hr train ride. Did I misunderstand?

If we did switch Windsor to Friday as suggested, what do you think a realistic return time into London would be? (Asking so I can plan train travel)

Last edited by kimberlyb; Apr 27th, 2023 at 02:10 PM.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

It wouldn't let me edit my previous post. Did more research. St. George's Chapel opens later on that Friday and there is no changing of the guard. I guess it wouldn't be the worst to miss that pomp and circumstance, but ideally thought it might be fun since we've never seen it.

I also looked into train times. We can get a train from Paddington to Windsor Eaton Central early morning and it takes about 30 minutes to Windsor Eaton train stop. The earliest timed entry at Windsor Castle on Thursday is 9:30am according to their website. It also says on their website to plan for 1.5 hrs to 2hrs to tour the Castle. Even if we took 3 hours after security and entry, that puts us at 1pm- ish. If we grabbed a bite or snack and headed to train station for the 30 minute return into the city center it seems (at least on paper) very doable to be back before 3pm. I trust the feedback you have all shared and will consider pushing to Friday, but I am genuinely curious why there is the concern about not making a 4:15pm tea later that day?

And if I did move Windsor Castle to Friday (instead visit the Abbey & Churchill War Rooms on Thursday before our tea), do you think we'd have time to do anything late afternoon in London once we return from Windsor?
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 09:23 PM

It isn't that you won't make it. It is that will be a really rushed and looooong day. Tea at the Savoy is quite a posh thing and I wouldn't be happy doing it after an early wake up, getting to Paddington, a (tiring) visit of the castle, then back the station, getting from Paddington to the hotel, freshening up and changing (three of you with one bathroom -- just sayin ) and dashing to the Savoy -- pant pant pant -- then killing time between 6PM and curtain at 7PM and back to the hotel after 10PM.

(BTW - I also would not be getting any bites to eat in the afternoon before going to afternoon tea)
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
It isn't that you won't make it. It is that will be a really rushed and looooong day. Tea at the Savoy is quite a posh thing and I wouldn't be happy doing it after an early wake up, getting to Paddington, a (tiring) visit of the castle, then back the station, getting from Paddington to the hotel, freshening up and changing (three of you with one bathroom -- just sayin ) and dashing to the Savoy -- pant pant pant -- then killing time between 6PM and curtain at 7PM and back to the hotel after 10PM.

(BTW - I also would not be getting any bites to eat in the afternoon before going to afternoon tea)
Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining. So do you think it would be less tiring to visit the Abbey at 9:30am, followed by a snack and then to the War Rooms before tea? Would this still allow for us to make it back to our hotel (Premier Inn in Victoria), to freshen up before tea and take a taxi to the Savoy?
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 05:08 AM

I think you may still have some lingering illusion of "instant travel." A 30 minute train ride is a lot more than 30 minutes, even if the train is on time and without diversions. You have to get to the train station early enough to navigate yourself to the train and board it, allowing enough time so as not to just miss the train and wait a few hours for the next one. How much time you want to add on for this is up to you, but without local experience how much time to allow to get to the train station, secure or validate tickets, and so forth is up to you. Then add the time it takes to get from the train on arrival to your next destination/tour/site/etc. is also up to you.

I could repeat analogous time eating scenarios for every interval between sites by whatever mode of transport. Even a 10 minute walk could take much longer if you come upon something attractive on the way.

I am still reminded by Mrs. P of the time we missed the first act of a play in London because we arrived, tickets in hand, 3 minutes after the opening curtain. I was partially forgiven after I talked our way into standing room to see the first act the next day, but still ---

Enthusiasm is great. Experience, even if second hand, is valuable.
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by kimberlyb
Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining. So do you think it would be less tiring to visit the Abbey at 9:30am, followed by a snack and then to the War Rooms before tea? Would this still allow for us to make it back to our hotel (Premier Inn in Victoria), to freshen up before tea and take a taxi to the Savoy?
The Abbey/Late morning nosh of some sort/the War Rooms the day of the Savoy/theatre makes much more sense. The Cabinet War Rooms are only about 1 mile from your hotel as the crow flies. (20 minute walk, 15 minutes by bus, 8 or 9 minute cab ride) A heck of a lot more convenient that being out in Windsor.
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

This board has never steered me wrong before, so I am taking the advice that a few of you were kind enough to share and NOT going to Windsor the same day as tea at The Savoy and the theater. I even went a step further and COMPLETELY changed our plans. Again, the only firm plans we have are the 4:15pm tea and 7pm theater tickets for Thursday. This also reflects closures the week we are there (Westminster Abbey & Windsor Castle). We will miss the Changing of the Guard at Windsor, but I think we'll survive. A few nights are open and a few afternoons, so any suggestions are welcome.

Sunday - arrive at Gatwick. Get to city/hotel 4ish and take a very late afternoon walk past Buckingham Palace, the Mall and to Trafalgar Square if we feel up to it. Take Tube to Kings Cross for Harry Potter photo op. Since it gets dark late, we can do this after grabbing a bite for supper if needed.

Monday -
9:30am Westminster Abbey
11ish snack or early lunch
Noon/12:30pm Churchill War Rooms
3ish - OPEN (River boat down Thames?)
Night - OPEN

Tues - 9am Tower of London
12:30ish Spitalfields for lunch and shop
3pm ish - meet friends at Harrods to explore and get a treat
Dinner
Night - OPEN

Wed - Day trip to Bath (arrive back into London in the evening)

Thurs - 10am V&A Museum
Noonish light bite/snack
1ish - 3pm OPEN
head back to hotel to freshen up/change
4pm - taxi to The Savoy
4:15pm Afternoon Tea
6pm head to Theater District
7pm - Show time (Matilda)

Friday - Morning train to Windsor
9:30/10am entry Windsor Castle
Tour Castle
Lunch (maybe check out town??)
Train back to city center
Afternoon: OPEN - maybe shopping or National Gallery (Impressionist section only)
Night: Either save Nat'l Gallery till night since open late or another idea?

Sat - breakfast and head to Heathrow to fly back home

Is this better??
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 06:08 PM

don't have time right now to absorb the new plan, but a couple of things jump out:

On the Sunday -- there are many places to eat right in Kings Cross and St Pancras stations. Every sort of food without even leaving the station.

On the Thursday -- "6pm head to Theater District". The Savoy is IN the theatre district (heck, there is a theatre in the hotel itself ) It isn't even half a mile from the Savoy to the Cambridge Theatre -- easy walk -- less than 10 minute. Since you'll be done with tea by around 5:45 give or take (and how much champagne you have) this would be a good time to walk through Covent Garden, see some of the buskers what ever. Its a 4 or 5 minute walk to Covent Garden and then another 6 or 7 minute to the theatre.
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 05:23 AM

There is a really good shopping centre, Coal Drops Yard, right behind King's Cross station with several good options for food. Worth a look for the architecture too. You have the Regent's canal there, and an outdoor cinema. And if you happen to find yourselves in a heatwave, your daughter can run through the fountains.
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 01:05 PM

Have you thought about Borough market for lunch one day? You can cross over on the pedestrian bridge (can’t remember the name) and walk along the Thames and see the Tate modern and the Globe theatre and maybe check out the London eye. Going to Bath and Windsor seems like a lot of traveling for a 5 day trip when there is so much to see in London proper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -