Things to do in and around Grosseto, Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to Europe in September 2014 and we will visiting London, Milan, Cinque Terre, Grosseto ending our trip in Lisbon, Portugal.
What should we see when in Grosseto? We are staying in a beautiful bed and breakfast. We will have a car and be there for three nights. Any suggestions of what other cities to visit? We love to get out and explore. Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 10:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You could drive to Porto Santo Stefano (near Orbetello) and take a ferry to Isola del Giglio. There's fairly frequent bus service connecting the three main towns, but you can also take the car on the ferry. If you want to take the car, definitely make advance reservations. Unfortunately, I think the wreck of the Costa Concordia is still off the coast at the town of Giglio Porto.

On Sept. 15th, there will be several events in the town of Giglio Castello for its patron saint Mamiliano, including a donkey palio which I would love to see!

http://www.isoladelgiglio.it/index.p...i-Toremar.html
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 10:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another day trip could be Pitigliano, Sovana and Sorana and the park Citta del Tufo near Sovana. Lots of Etruscan history throughout the area and an interesting Jewish history in Pitigliano. Plan your lunch stop carefully, probably in Pitigliano for the most options.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/tr...taly.html?_r=0

http://www.maremma-tuscany.com/
[click on Fiora Valley for the above-mentioned towns, but great info thruout the website]
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wreck of the Costa Concordia is being refloated this month and towed north to Genova.

In other parts of the province of Grosseto the palio has been returned to being a contest without animals (which is what most palio were historically) after maltreatment of the animals was recognized and stopped. You might want to skip it in places it is still going on.

I think of much greater and unique interest in the area is the dramatically beautiful tufa town of Pitigliano, the nearby rock caves of Vitozza at Sovana, the charming Magliano in Toscana, the wine growing region of Scansano and the historic sulphur baths of Saturnia. There are also the historic towns of Manciano and Montemerano (with good restaurants). The stunning ruined abbey of San Galgano is one hour north of Grosseto, and the beautiful Renassaince town of Massa Marittima is even closer.

If you like Etruscan history, the area is really a treasure trove, with Vetulonia and Roselle, and Tarquinia is within easy reach.

But if you are looking for a beauty spot, the undeveloped wild beach of Cala Violina near Scarlino might make for a nice change of pace from the touristic port towns and pleasure craft harbors. Even in September it is best not to try to go on a weekend if the weather is nice to avoid parking problems.

http://www.turismo.intoscana.it/allt...-tuscan-coast/