Things to do around Chania area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Chania April 24 thru 28. We are going to spend one day to visit Chania and get over jet lag. One day to go to Samaria gorge.
We need ideas for the other 3 days. We like outdoors: beach, hike, etc. Is it going to be warm enough to go in the water? We are planning to rent a car thru the hotel.
Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:17 AM

We just left Chania and stayed at the greatest little place Casa Delfinio. We took a drive up to Therissa. You can make a loop and go to another little village that begins with an "m" and pass some ruins. They forgot to mention the loop so we came back the same way. Oh Well. Tamam is a good restaurant and there are so many along the water front. The beaches weren't that great in Chania. There are a few monastries by the airport but we didn't have enough time. Driving is crazy as we only seemed to ever get half of the directions but it all worked. Just a little patience. There is a street with knife makers. There is one little old guy who makes his knives right there. A bit farther down that street on the right if you are coming from the market. Only sells knives no other stuff so you know it's him. He pulled out a paper showing us that he's on the Travel Channel. What a hoot!!
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 01:52 AM

Hi DH - Rethymnon is well worth a trip - only about 45 mins drive ...

Steve
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 02:15 AM

Hi
We stayed in Maleme when we were in Crete, just East of Chania. We drove further East on one of the days, and explored the little villages. It was a lovely trip. We also took a day cruise out from Chania and explored some of the islands just off the coast. This was a good way to spend the day. You can snorkel as well. It's a beautiful town and the Samaria Gorge was amazing - including the trip there.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Hi we just came back from Chania for our Easter vacation and the weather was great, very warm during day time but needed a jacket for night time. We stayed at Casa Leone and enjoyed it very much, however, every nights there was a fight out by the harbor among the young local people. We loved Chania and I think 2 full days in Chania is enough to explore all the charming streets, shops and cafes. We rented a car and drove toward Rethymnon one day and enjoyed it very much, make sure to go by the harbor and visit all the streets around it, it is beautiful (on the way , we also visited the village of Spili before returning to Chania). Another day we drove toward Palechora using the mountain way not by the water, it was so so beautiful. Nothing very special about Palechora but the 2 hour drive was amazing. We also ate at Tamam Resturant in Chania and loved the food and service(their meat pie was great). My 2 teenage sons travelling with us enjoyed Rethymno alot. I think it may be warm enough to go in the water by the time you visit Chania. Have a great trip.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:37 AM

Posted this a few days before I went away. re-posting with the typos fixed
Day trips-Paleochora, Elafonnissi, the Aktrotiri and Souda, Samaria, Rethymnon, Knossos.

There's a long gorge that goes straight due south of Chania, the name of which is escaping me, (I think it might be Therisso)but there's a little village at the top of it, and you COULD get a bus up and walk back. Alternatively you can go to Gouverneto Monastery on the Akrotiri and walk down to Katholika below it. That takes an hour or so and is very nice. You can even swim form the rocks at the bottom, if the mood takes you.