theft insurance?

Mar 9th, 2002, 03:28 PM
nelly

theft insurance?

Is there any such thing as insurance that will cover theft of personal items? Does the theft insurance that you can get with car rentals cover only theft of the car or theft of items from the car?

I ask for all the obvious reasons, but also because I have a very expensive camera, and obviously would prefer to come home with the best pictures possible, but am quite worried about it getting stolen. If there was some way to insure it, I would be more comfortable bringing it.

Mar 9th, 2002, 05:46 PM

ttt

Mar 10th, 2002, 04:50 AM
ann

You need a supplement to your homeowners or renters insurance policy to cover an expensive camera. This will then cover it anywhere you take it. The insurance that comes (and is extra) with the car rental does not cover such items.

Mar 10th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Alec

As Ann says, you need a separate policy cover your camera. There is special insurance for photographic equipment which you may want to look into. Theft cover with rental cars usually has very low limit for stolen items, maybe only $150 or so, but has no excess or deductible, so it might be worth claiming on it for low-cost items.

Mar 10th, 2002, 08:54 AM
nelly

Thanks! I'll look into it right away.

I get the feeling I may not be covered now unless I get a special rider, so now I'm even more nervous. I'll call first thing in the morning.

Oh what the hell, relax and enjoy life, right?

Search this Thread