Reload this Page >

Theatre and more in Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 11:00 AM
Bill & Lee

<BR> <BR>Two couples will have four extra days in Dublin Sept. 1-4 before an Elderhostel. We'd like to take in theatre performances...any recommendations about whether we should get tickets in advance and which theatres are recommended? Everyone talks about Abbey Theatre, of course. <BR> <BR>Other recommendaitons for Dublin, especially for enjoyment of traditional music and also <BR>history? And how about day trips? <BR> <BR>Bill & Lee Longman, Missouri <BR>[email protected]

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 03:30 PM
Cathy

Bill & Lee <BR> <BR>Consider taking a Hop on Hop Off tour of Dublin city with Dublin Bus to get an overview of the city. See the Irish Times for whats on and where in threatre etc in Dublin. Day trips can be taken with Bus Eireann (www.cie.ie for links to all transport) - you might like to visit Wicklow and Glendalough, the Boyne Valley and Newgrange, Kilkenny (do that by train). Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:19 AM
mikey

try http://www.timeout.com/dublin/ent/theatre/venues.html <BR> <BR>for day trips, the bus company and several others have trips to newgrange, wicklow mts, powerscourt gardens, glendalough etc (see http://www.buseireann.ie/html/travinfo/tours.html)

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 08:01 AM
Pat

We were in Dublin in June and we attended a 2 person play at the Gaiety <BR>Theater. It was an old Theater and the performance was great. We bought tickets right at the box office at the theater.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 11:34 AM
Cathy

Bill & Lee, <BR> <BR>Found to give you the web site address of the Irish Times which lists what is on in Dublin and where - it is www.ireland.com <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 05:46 AM
Dave

We saw a play at the Abbey Theater which we enjoyed. Got tickets that AM. Also, we took walking tours, of the university and around the center of town, which were good.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 06:21 AM
Moira

You can find out what's playing at the Abbey and Peacock at the following website, and buy tickets ahead online through Ticketmaster if you prefer to make plans rather than play it by ear. I bought tickets over the phone for a play at The Abbey a couple of years ago (their website was not yet up then) and was surprised at how relatively inexpensive the tickets were. I think they were about $20 per ticket for good seats for a Saturday night, the last night of the play's run. I'm used to DC and NY, so that seemed like quite a bargain. <BR>http://www.abbeytheatre.ie/

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 07:49 AM
Terry

If you like Irish traditional music then I'd recommend Ceol, the traditional music centre at Smithfield - not too far from the city centre. Here's their website - www.ceol.ie <BR>It's an interactive music centre and good fun to visit. There's a bar and a restaurant there too. <BR> <BR>And if you want to experience a real traditional music session, try the Cobblestone pub nearby - there's one there nearly every evening. It's a very traditional Irish pub, with no frills, but if you want "the real thing" that's the place to go. <BR> <BR>Ceol is also right beside the Jameson Irish Whiskey Centre - which is worth a look - <BR>http://www.irish-whiskey-trail.com/corner/corner.htm <BR>and the Tower which gives great views of Dublin. <BR> <BR>If you're theatre buffs, as well as a visit to the Abbey, I'd recommend "The Lonesome West" by Martin McDonagh at the Gaiety Theatre. He's the same guy who wrote the Emmy award-winning "Beauty Queen of Leenane. The Gate Theatre is also well worth a visit - it's where Orson Welles and James Mason, among others, started their acting careers and the theatre is a little gem. Try www.ticketmaster.ie for tickets for there and for anywhere else in Dublin. <BR>Please post again if you want more info on the play that are running at the moment.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Bill

<BR>Thanks for good ideas about theatre and such. We have tickets for "Translations" on 3 Sept. at The Abbey. <BR> <BR>But I can't find info in the Irish Times for other listings...no mention of drama at Gate or Gaiety or Samuel Beckett, and nothing into Sept for others like Olympia, Ambassadors, Pavillion. <BR> <BR>So I would appreciate advice. Terry or others, what's playing, say, Sunday 2 Sept, or maybe the next Tuesday? Anything else interesting going on in Dublin those first days of the month? <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Bill in Missouri

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 04:55 AM
Mick

Hi There <BR> <BR>Two sites have the best listings for music & theater: www.wow.ie and www.entertainment.ie --- check those out & have a great time! <BR> <BR>Info on Dublin from an American POV can be found at my website. <BR> <BR>All the best, <BR> <BR>Mick <BR>www.dfaguide.com