The Scenic Champagne Region Along The Marne River

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Champagne region is not known for its natural beauty and scenery but it does have its scenic bits. Maybe not scenic compared to the Dordogne or Provence but for northern France it's not too bad and there is an area that I find scenic in the Marne River valley between Epernay in the west and Nanteuil-sur-Marne in the east. Most people do champagne day trips to Reims and Epernay but you can take one of the local trains that run between Paris and Epernay and get off at one of the small villages along the way and visit the smaller, unknown champagne houses and also do some easy, scenic hikes through the vineyards and along the river, maybe stopping at a nice restaurant along the way. I took my bike on the train out to the region and did an exploration starting in the town of Nanteuil-sur-Marne, which is only 47 minutes by train from Paris. Here's the photo report I made if you might be interested in doing a little off the beaten path exploring, so have a look if you'd like.

http://tinyurl.com/p467ofv
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 09:43 AM

I once ran hundreds of folks on tours just thru those towns and villages, along the Marne River to Paris and yes not dramatically scenic but really nice - motoring or biking you cannot go wrong. And the Champagne vintners do not have fancy houses like in Reims or Epernay but more utilitarian metal sheds or similar covering their caves - typically producing much smaller batches of Champagne than the biggies.

Thanks for posting.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 12:20 PM

I bet the guys in those bar-tabacs are still talking about you. A stranger! In our village! And he liked it!

How could you not love villages full of champagne?

Seems like it's been a long time since you posted a day trip on Fodor's. You need to get out more.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ - Thanks for reading. I knew you had explored this area but I didn't know you gave tours here too.

Coquelicot - I'm getting out but I haven't been writing as many reports as of late. I've got at least 4 or 5 reports I'm sitting on that I'll eventually get around to writing. Thanks, as usual, for reading.
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 12:06 PM

ttt