Reload this Page >

The Rhine, should we cruise or drive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 05:00 PM
Robin

Hi everyone, <BR>In 3 weeks we will be spending two weeks in Germany and France. In Germany we'll be spending 3 nights in Mainz. We plan to spend 1 or 2 days seeing the castles on the Rhine. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether to do this by car or boat? I know there's a line called the KD line I think? I'm curious as to whether anyone has taken it and whether or not you can "hop on, hop off"? Also, once you get up the Rhine on a cruise, how do you get back to your car? <BR>Does anyone have any suggestions on what places or castles we should see? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Robin

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 06:40 PM
greg

I hope you have a good reason for staying at Mainz. Its a large and rather modern city and far from a quaint Rhine town. There are only three KD departures from Mainz/day even during the peak time. On the South/West shore, you will have to drive up to at least to Bingen to have more choices of boats going down river. Also the pretty part is Bacharach down toward Koblenz, so you will be far from the castle portion of the river. You can take hourly train on both side of the river back. Obviously, if you park your car on South/West shore, you want to get off at correct city so that you do not have to again get off the train at selected cities on East/North shore that has a ferry across the river. Someone told me it is a hop on / hop off although we did not use that option. Also, there aren't that many boats/day, max is 6 boats even on busy port like St. Goar, Bacharach, Bingen.

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 08:03 AM
Richard

Stay in Bingen or Rudesheim, and do the tour by KD Line, it will be much more relaxing than driving, the stretch from Bingen to Braubach is the most scenic part of the Rhine Valley. On return, trains run frequently on both sides and there are ferries between towns on each side of the river. The only castle we visited was Marksburg, in Braubach. I agree with with Greg, not much to see in Mainz.

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 08:30 AM
nickie

If you're at all interested in falconry, there is a great show put on at Castle Maus near St. Goarhausen ( a ferry ride across from the major boat stop of St. Goar). If I were you, I'd consider parking in St. Goar, and taking the paddlewheeler down to Rudesheim, and then take a return boat a few hours later back. That is the scenic part of the Rhein, and only a couple of hours each way. But maybe there's a reason you're staying in Mainz? There are some great castle ruins in St. Goar - Burg Rheinfels where you're on your own without a tour. I also enjoyed Marksburg, but better to drive there than try to take the boat and walk up, and then make a connection out of there.

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 09:24 AM
Janna

It is extremely easy to take a combination of boat plus train up or down either side of the Rhine. I did it a couple of months ago from Koblenz to Bingen/Rudesheim. Took the train one way and the KD boat back. I was able to hop on and off the train at several little towns including St. Goar and Bacharach for lunch, sightseeing, castle touring, etc. There is a website for the KD line, but they also have offices in every town--you can just go and purchase a ticket on the spot.

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 12:30 PM
Robin

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I really appreciate it because when you're working with limited time, you want to make the most of it. <BR> <BR>I should probably let everyone know that the reason I'm staying in Mainz is because we've earned a free 3 night stay at the Hyatt. Otherwise, believe me, I'd be staying at Inns and B & B's like I am the rest of our trip! <BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 06:10 PM
nickie

Aren't you lucky! I am envious. Just a stray thought - don't know if anyone answered your question, but yes, you can hop off the boat along the way. Just remember that there are several different lines! There is also a hydrofoil operated by KD that makes the trip down (or up) the Rhine quickly. Have a great time!