Search

The other Spain

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 04:12 PM
Pedro

The other Spain

Maybe it would be interesting to open a new window where you can talk, give advice and get advice about that other Spain which is not Barcelona or Madrid, the biggest cities. <BR>I will give some help whom needs it.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 06:07 PM
Andrew

Pedro: <BR> <BR>I'm thinking about spending 4 weeks in Spain next year (late May to early June) <BR>I would be interested in hearing what you and others recommend. <BR>About 15 years ago I hitched through Spain and spent several days in Andalucia. This was on a shoestring budget (less than $10 a day) and I'm sure things are more expensive than they used to be, but I'm still interested in taking things slow and keeping it cheap. <BR>We are thinking about returning to Andalucia but also seeing the ?Pyrenees?. <BR> <BR>Any tips would be appreciated. <BR>ANdrew

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 08:24 PM
Linda

My husband and I just returned from nearly 4 weeks in Spain. If you're lucky, the dollar will remain strong, as it is right now. We were blown away with how affordable everything was. It's a wonderful country--with fabulous, friendly people. The highlight: two weeks in Puerto Banus on the Costa del Sol in an apartment we rented (2-bedroom, 2 baths, fabulous furnishings, walking distance to the marina and about 50 incredible restaurants of every nationality.) The apartment was roughly $600 a week. The location is ideal as a base for exploring the Costa del Sol, from Gibraltar to Ronda to Granada.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 04:04 PM
Pedro

The dates you are thinking about are fantastic to visit most part of Spain but Andalucia, Extremadura, The North, The East and The Pirineos are probably the best options. If you want to explore wonderful places but often forgotten by tourists, these are some of them: <BR> <BR>In the South: <BR> <BR>Las Alpujarras in Granada province. <BR> <BR>Úbeda, Baeza and Cazorla in Jaen province. <BR> <BR>Alcornocales and Grazalema Natural Parks in Cadiz province. <BR> <BR>Priego and Zuheros in Cordoba province. <BR> <BR>Trujillo, Merida, Guadalupe and Caceres in Extremadura. <BR> <BR> <BR>In the East: <BR> <BR>Albarracin and Mirambel in Teruel province. <BR> <BR>Cuenca,Alarcon and La Ciudad Encantada in Cuenca province. <BR> <BR>Morella in Castellon province <BR> <BR>Jaca, Ainsa, Ordesa,Panticosa, Valle de Aran, Valle de Boi in the Pirineos. <BR> <BR>Santillana del Mar, Fuente De, Mogrovejo and Potes in Santander province. <BR> <BR>Covadonga and the Sella Valley in Asturias. <BR> <BR>If you are interested in any of these places I can send you more information about them.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Jill

Linda, <BR>Can you tell me the name of the apartment or how to contact the people you rented your apartment from in Costa del Sol.It sounds like exactly what we are looking for. <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Judi

Jill, if you are at all interested in Nerja I can give you the name of the person who we have rented from three times. In April we are renting a wonderful apartment (a converted house)in the old town on a cliff overlooking the Med. There are steps at the side of the house which lead to the beach. We rented the same place last year....Heaven! The off season rate is around $375/wk. The company has a mix of rentals from inexpensive to villas. We rented a gorgeous villa in Nerja several years ago with some friends and our part of the rent was $166/wk. Feel free to email me.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 02:01 PM
jill

Hello- I too am looking for suggestions on what to do: <BR>1. 5 days prior to business trip in Madrid <BR>2. 10 days at end of trip which finishes in Barcelona. <BR>I most likely will be solo, female, mid 30's. What to do? How do I narrow it down?

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 02:54 PM
Karen

I too will be in spain shortly, I have a 1 day drive from Granada to Cordoba- I've seen brief mentions of Priego and Zuheros on this route. As I have only a few hours, which stop do you recommend? Also, how long would this drive take? Thank you!

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 04:53 PM
Pedro

A beautiful trip among Granada and Cordoba is the route Granada-Loja-Priego-Baena-Cordoba. You could make a short drive off this road to Zuheros ( 6 kms ) to have a look at this typical and picturesque white andalucian village with its old castle. Priego is worth a detour, it is one of the most interesting towns in Andalucia, specially by its fountains, baroque churches ( La Asuncion is one the finest examples of Baroque in Spain. ) and its white washed Barrio de la Villa. There are around 200 kms (125 miles) and it will probably take you 2 hours and 45 minutes without any stop.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 05:11 PM
nano

I am travelling to Madrid and Almeria in June, 2001 for 9 days and will be travelling with 3 small children. Any advice on what to see & do. We have an apartment to rent in Almeria. Thanks.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 05:23 PM
Pedro

I really loved Cabo de Gata when I was there, maybe in June there could be even few crowds. My favourite beaches, it is like a secret because they are still unspoiled by tourists, are: Monsul beach ( smaller and maybe better )and Los Genoveses beach, close to San Jose. Varied forms and colours were given by its volcanic origin, one of the few volcanic places in Spain. <BR>Sorbas, Nijar and Mojacar are picturesque places and in Tabernas Desert area there is and old village that was used to make famous spaghetti western movies. Guadix and Purullena with its house-caves and Granada are less than two hours away from Almeria as well.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Elaine

Pedro,hope you're still around! We'll be seeing the other Spain in 2 wks. in Playa Romana, Castellan. Not much is written in the books of this area between Barcelona & Valencia so we have doubts that we've made a good choice. We'll be there a week with a car and figure side trips "to wherever" is what we'll need to do. That's fine if we could just learn places to go. Fortunately you did mention Morella so we'll do that. Any day trip suggestions for us Pedro? <BR>