The origin of the term "fodorite"

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering what forum oldsters remember about the origin of this term. I have my own belief -- but the search function doesn't "prove" it so ... anyway -- the earliest thread using it that I can find is this one from 1999:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...rague+fodorite

This is of particular interest to me as Fodors themselves picked up the term around the time of the infamous pins.

I lost the reference and google's system has let it sink out of sight, but the first "fodorites" were followers of some obscure Hungarian [I think?]political economist/philosopher -- whose first name eludes me ...
Old May 9th, 2004, 05:13 AM
cmt

Jerry Fodors is a philosophy professor at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ, a city with a history of extensive Hungarian immigration. Maybe his students call themselves "Fodorites"? Don't know about a Hungarian philosopher by that name.

Fodor is a Hungarian name. As you probably know, since you speak some Hungarian (but I don't), it's also a word in Hungarian.

fodor = (noun) frill, ruffle, flounce
fodorit = (verb) to curl up, quill or ruffle

In English, "-ite" is a suffix indicating someone who's a resident of someplace, e.g., Harlemite, or a follower of some person's beliefs, e.g., Trotskyite. (But I think everyone already knew that, so maybe I don't understand the question.)
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Singletail

The Rutgers professor does not spell his last name with an "s"

Old May 9th, 2004, 06:24 AM
cmt

Neither did Eugene Fodor. The Fodor's publications are named after the possessive form of his name ("Fodor's" rather than "Eugene's&quot. I don't think Internet urls can use apostrophes.

http://www.fodors.com/about/us/ftp_about_roots.cfm
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:57 AM

Wonder why we're not called "Fodorians"?
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Actually Fowler asked a vague question again

I am interested in the first appearance of the term "fodorite" on the forum as people remember -- Betsy -- the answer lies in who coined the phrase here, which I think I know, but I'm just curious about people's memories.

cmt -- I have heard tell to that philosopher -- in fact I suffered through a lecture by him when I was a grad student in Philaxdelphia ... but I digress
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:39 AM
ira

Wouldn't "fodorist" be more appropriate?

Or maybe "fodorian"?

Could this thread be considered "fodoristic"?

"fodoranian"?
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:46 AM

With the recent thread about taking the site back, maybe it should be "fodoristas".

Jim
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

And the pin some of us got way back would be "fodoriana" -- I see a whole vocabulary cottage industry starting up here

Let me come out of the shadows -- the reason I was asking for what people remembered is that MY memory [shabby as it is these days] is that I was the one who coined the word "fodorite" in reference to the website I started way back in '99 I THINK. I was just being cute -- and lo and behold that's what we are -- "fodorites"

The first picture I posted of a GTG was of the one in Paris on May 16, 1999. The 2nd counter for the website began on 3 June 1999 [I can't remember when I started the first one, but there was a previous counter.], BUT I think some of the rest of the website goes back further....

Before people come crashing down on me as to motive -- I was just wondering what other's memories were here ... although small unmarked bills ...
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

JJBhoy -- good one

And that would make NYFS our "fashionista fodorista:
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:23 AM
cmt

Singletail, you're absolutely right. I didn't realize that my fingers had typed an "s" (against my will!), and I thought you were saying that his name was not the same as the Fodor for whom Fodor's was named.
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:33 AM
ira

Well sf,

I have no objections to your being granted the honor of having created the term "fodorite".
Old May 9th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Nor I !
Old May 9th, 2004, 09:42 AM

I searched "Fodorite" in the Europe section finding 995 threads. The bottom of the pile is question about Hotels in Prague. Helena used "Fodorite" in her reply on 01/06/99. There could be earlier usages out there but finding them would be too much like work.
Old May 9th, 2004, 10:13 AM

Ira and Bob, yes, let's let Sfowler be the "mother" of our "fodorite" origins. ;-)
Old May 9th, 2004, 11:59 AM

sfowler,

As a fairly new Fodorite (only since last October)I'd love to visit your website. Can you post the address?

Thanks,

Jim
Old May 9th, 2004, 01:04 PM

For the record, why should anyone care if someone else cares?
Old May 9th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Sometimes I thing "Fodorgentsia" (derivative of "intelligentsia&quot would have been a more fitting nickname.

Other times, I'm sure "Fodoroid" (from Mongoloid idiot) would have been a better choice.

Since "Fodorite" is long-established, I guess we can live with that.
Old May 9th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

GIRLS!!!

I do know for sure the following:
1. It was coined on this forum
2. And fodors appropriated it during the pin eerrrrm ... distribution.

What I was looking for were useful posts on the topics from people who might remember.

What does this have to do with travel?? Well it's the term used to designate a certain kind of GTG and this TRAVEL forum has a history which includes the use of the term. Any more questions?? No? Good.

Now let's get back to being "fodorites", who spend their time "fodoring" or admiring their "fodoriana" -- or being "fodoristas" [I wonder if that relates in any way to the Starbucks "baristas"?]
Old May 9th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

KS452 -- excellent contributions!!!

What I DO want are definitions for each of these variants -- there WILL be a quiz Or I could mail my Fodors pin to the best one?

The page referred to is at: http://fodorite.fisherfowler.net/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -