The New Pragues?

Sep 4th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

The New Pragues?

The July/August Budget Travel had an article about "the new pragues". Having gone to the real Prague this summer, I found it interesting.

They were saying how Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia were great places to visit. Now after seeing this article and knowing how much we loved Prague, we're considering going this direction for next summer.

If you've been to Prague and/or these other Baltic states, I'd love to hear your likes and dislikes and how comparable they are to Prague.

Which places are not be missed and which are to be missed? I'm just starting the planning process so any info you can give would be great(hotels, sites). Also my hubby likes to see photos of places so any photo links were also be appreciated.

Thanks so much for any help you can give!!!
Sep 4th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Oh yeah and any travel book recommendations on these places would also be appreciated.
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:53 PM

I spent one week in Prague couple years ago, and 3 weeks in Baltic States this past July. I haven't read the article, but certainly there are very much more things to do and see in these three countries.

If you are into architecture, the old towns in Tallinn and Vilinus, Art Deco buildings in Riga, all are worth several days visiting.

If you like nature beauty, hikingor surfing , Neringer Spit in Lithuania, with endless pine forests and huge sanddunes, plus water by both sidesm is worth days lingering.

If you like folk feastival, don't miss the Sea Feastival in Klaipeda, Lithuania at the last weekend of July.

I find Lonlyplanet and Rough Guide of Baltic States are quite helpful.
Sep 4th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Well, I enjoyed Vilnius, but it's a lot smaller than Prague. I'd nominate Lviv as the next Prague, myself.
Sep 6th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Haven't been to Tallinn or Riga yet, but they are on our list. Look back by clicking on my name or doing a search under Lithuania and I have an extensive trip report from last summer's visit to Lithuania. We found it to be a surprisingly delightful country.

I guess I need to throw in here that all of these countries (Czech Republic included) have so much more to offer than just their capital cities. I always thinbk it is a shame that people only think of visiting the capital cities of these countries when there are so many other delights in the smaller cities and rural regions.
Sep 6th, 2007, 03:26 PM

If you like Prague then you'll definitely like Tallin.
Sep 6th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I will start researching all your suggestions. I may be back with more questions.
Sep 8th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Okay I've researched some more. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations in Lithuania, Estonian or Latvia? We haven't decided excatly which cities to visit but having hotel choices might help make that decision easier.
Thanks again!!!
Sep 8th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Amy

I really enjoyed Lithuania last year; I visited in conjunction with Poland as the logistics worked well. (I'd like to do a Finland/Estonia and maybe Latvia combination sometime, too.)

I stayed at Domus Maria, a former convent, in Vilnius, and really enjoyed it; however, it doesn't have AC, and I happened to be there in the heat. For touring some of the other sites, I stayed in a guesthouse (Nemunastour) ourside of Kaunas; wonderful experience.

My trip report is here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34841274 if you'd like to read a bit.
Sep 9th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Amy for your help!!

Thanks again,
Amy

BTW--Nice name
Sep 9th, 2007, 07:03 AM

I stayed herein Vilnius: www.litinterp.com/view.php?id=233&lg=EN
Good location, nice clean room, private bathroom down the hall, English novels available. Good price.