The "Eurailpass" Dies 12/31/06

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RailEurope has announced that after 12/31/06 the Eurailpass will have been relegated to the scrap heap of history, it sale being discontinued.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 10:05 AM

Ok, but how about current ticket holders? I just bought a Flexi Pass for my daughter!!!!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Brazilnut: i once again cause you worry for no reason. Your daughter's Eurailpass is fine - all passes issued are valid for six months after issuance in which time she must activate it for the two month period to begin.

Actually though the classic Eurailpass is ending, it's actually just a name change and the new Eurail Globla Pass replaces it in the exact same forms as before. So though your daughter's pass will be one of the last ones with Eurailpass printed on it - it's exactly the same as the new Eurail Global Pass.

Sorry for your temporary worrying!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Well, that's a relief!

When I saw the title, I thought that the passes in general were being discontinued. Although I don't buy them very often, I have gotten good use from the Eurailpass in the past. It's good to know it's still an option.

That title was a total tease!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 01:01 PM

PalBob, thanks for the additional information!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 01:06 PM

It is inappropriate to post untruths (and titles that can cause panic) on a board supposedly devoted to helping folks plan trips. Obviously the Eurail pass has not "died"--nor has it "been relegated to the scrap heap of history."

It has merely changed its name, for Pete's sake. Hardly worth a thread at all.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Jolie, I'm glad to hear you got good use from your pass in the past. I've always thought it would be tough to use them enough to pay, given that point-to-point fares are often quite reasonable. Where did you go on the pass on a typical trip wit it?
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Was this meant to be an example of "sensational journalism"?
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 03:26 PM

HI Sue -

The pass was our (me and 2 friends) best option on at least one trip, where we bought a 3-country pass on a tour through Austria, Italy, and Switzerland.

If I remember correctly, the inter-country rail tickets were pretty expensive, but if we had stayed within one country (the whole month in Italy, for example), the point-to-point tickets would have been a better deal. But for the 3-country trek, the pass worked out best for us (since we got the multi-person discount).

I wouldn't use it the pass for every trip, but for some trips, it can be a good deal.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Some people refuse to read entire posts; saying that something's sale has been discontinued is not sensational..and what, ONE person got concerned and another one who would rather stick a fork in his eye than ride a night train got cute...absolutely earth-shattering.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 05:39 PM

Well, Dukey, congratulations on your mind reading abilities, but most people would probably read the original post as being an announcement that Eurailpasses no longer exist. I'm glad you knew it was a name change, but nothing in the post would indicate that to the average person -- although admittedly you are FAR from average.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what reading the whole post has to do with anything. If someone posted that beginning January 1st Ford cars will no longer be sold, most people would assume that Ford is going out of business, not that they are changing names.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Mea Culpa.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 11:15 PM

That was indeed a silly way to post what amounts to a simple name change and is old news already. Must be the eggnog or other ill-effects of the silly season?

More to the point of usefulness: Hurry and google Eurailpass 2007 and see if you can take advantage of the end-of-year offers - lots of extra days or new-for-the-price-of-old and such, act *right now*.

Good news: More "National" passes - Croatia, Benelux, Ireland, Italy and Portugal, and more "Regional" passes - Austria/Hungary for one.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 11:31 PM

Do people still buy those things?
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 04:27 AM

Don't be such a snob, Degas, of course people do buy them when it means $$$$$savings!
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 04:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>of course people do buy them when it means $$$$$savings!</i>&quot;

Unfortunately, far too many people buy them thinking they are saving $$$$. For a lot of trips, regular point-to-point tix are cheaper.

And I really agree the title and post were VERY misleading.

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Thanks for responding, Jolie. It sounds like you got a three-country Selectpass; and furthermore you went first class. I had forgotten that for first class passengers, passes might be more likely a good deal.

It is also true that cross-border ticket pricing is more complicated, not to mention hard to get data on. Which reminds me: For the benefit of anyone reading who is thinking of buying a pass including Italy and Austria, in 2004 we (two people travelling together) paid Euro 58 (E29 pp) to cross between Verona and Innsbruck. This was with a seat reservation but second class, for a EC (Eurocity) train journey of about 3.5 hours. It represents a slight discount over 2 single tix for adult (over 26 years of age) passengers. Note that you can't find pricing info for this cross-border voyage on the trenitalia website, for example. These were also the prices paid at the counter in Italy, not via a third party like RailEurope.

Prices for PTP tix within Italy, also in 2004: Venice to Milan, second class, for two: Euro 41.32, (approx Euro 20 each) on Eurostar Italia, seat rez included;

Milan to Verona, second class, Intercity train: for two Euro 22.10, seat rez extra at E3 each for around E14 each.

Costs have a way of increasing over time, and of course railpasses are often priced in dollars, but this should provide a rough guide.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 08:58 AM

For somebody who is going to spend 40 days travelling in Europe, visiting 8 different countries, and taking long distance rides, the Eurailpass comes out cheaper (we have calculated it through railsaver.com).
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 01:57 PM

The problem with Eurail passes (or whatever name they use now) is that people buy them and then try and &quot;max out&quot; the pass. That leads to frenetic travel trying to put the most miles on the Eurail. The big advantage of Eurail, in my opinion, is not having the hassle of buying tickets all the time (but do not forget you still need seat reservations for long distance/high speed trains). Many people are intimidated by having to deal with that in foreign languages (although automatic ticket machines have made that a lot easier because you can choose your language).

As others have noted, it is vital to cost out what point to point tickets would cost (investigating special deals as well on certain routes) before buying a Eurail. Finding out later that you paid more than necessary will not make you happy.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 02:25 PM

FauxSteMarie,
It is my daughter's first trip to Europe, and she wants to go visit friends - in Berlin, Paris, Lille, London, Porto, Lisbon, Valencia, Barcelona, Milano, Venice (for Carnaval), and Freiberg. She is young enough to hop around!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -