The Dollar Hits a 2-Year Low

Jun 20th, 2002, 07:04 PM
euro yen

The Dollar Hits a 2-Year Low

Comments? The story is in tomorrow's New York Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/21/business/21DOLL.html

Jun 20th, 2002, 07:07 PM
euro yen

Didn't see the other post. But here's the story.

Jun 20th, 2002, 07:29 PM
xxx

Well, that's not surprising to me. I've always thought that the $ was practically on par with the Euro ever since it was introduced. I liked it better when each country used their own currency which fluctuated against the $. Maybe I'm thinking of how little I can buy with the Euro now. Just my opinion though.

Jun 20th, 2002, 10:01 PM
ttt

Anyone else?

Jun 20th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Econ

A declining currency would have both positive and negative effects. It would help American manufacturers by making their products less expensive in foreign markets, thereby increasing exports, and could allow domestic manufacturers to recapture sales in the United States by making competing imports more expensive.

But a steady fall in the dollar could put upward pressure on inflation by pushing up import prices, and would make foreign travel more expensive. If the fall in the dollar led investors from abroad to stop putting their money into stocks and bonds in the United States — and there is already evidence of such a pullback — interest rates could rise and stock prices could fall further.

Jun 26th, 2002, 07:54 PM
ttt

ttt

Jun 27th, 2002, 05:30 PM
sandra

here is an example of the sinking dollar. In february i made reservations for a hotel in Cannes . At the time it was 1032 euros which was 849.00 us dollars, by the time i checked out on 6/11 1032 euros was worht 959.00. It hurt and now i will spend more time traveling in my country , where i always know how much my dollar will be worth.
I too prefer the days when each country had their own currency

Jun 27th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Sjoerd

Sandra, as if the French franc, the German mark and the Greek drachma didn't move up and down against the US $.

Jun 28th, 2002, 02:59 AM
Justathought

Perhaps we should be visiting Canada?! The 1.00US is equal to about 1.55CAD.

Jun 28th, 2002, 03:08 AM
Ruth

Sorry,"Just a thought", but the US dollar is now worth 1.50 and not 1.55!