The Chunnel

Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

The Chunnel

I have not been able to find a web site giving me info as to where to get on the chunnel train in england and where I can get off in France. I would like to ride the chunnel from Heathrow and get off in Calais and rent a car for a week before returning to Heathrow. So far I haven't found a site that shows me how to do this. Can anyone help?
Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:22 AM
Neopolitan

First, you need to stop calling it the Chunnel. The train or the service is called Eurostar. Here's a link for a starter:

http://tinyurl.com/q6gx4

Meanwhile you can also do a search here for Eurostar and find a lot of threads about how to buy advance tickets and how to save on them.

Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:07 AM

Hi Ltrace, Eurostar is a train service that connects London (Waterloo station) with Paris (Gare du Nord), Lille and Brussels (Gare du Midi). Trains cross the English Channel via the Channel Tunnel (aka Chunnel).

You'll find information for fares and schedules for the Eurostar at http://www.eurostar.com

You'll have to go from Heathrow to Waterloo station to get the Eurostar. There are several experienced people here (like Fodorite "Robespierre") who are excellent at explaining the train system, I'm sure you will be hearing from them!
Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:45 AM

Heathrow Express to Paddington, then on the London underground (tube) Bakerloo Line to Waterloo.

Or take the tube Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to Hammersmith, cross the platform, take the District Line to Westminster and then the Jubilee Line to Waterloo.

The first option is quicker and more expensive, but you have less walking at Waterloo. The second option is slower but cheaper, but you will have some escalators at Westminster and some stairs and a moving walkway at Waterloo.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:47 AM

And I believe, though I haven't looked into it, that not that many Eurostar trains stop at Calais. You might do better to find one stopping at Lille.