Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The best way from Florence to Venice: drive or train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 04:49 PM
Sara

I would appreciate advice as to whether the drive from Florence to Venice is interesting, or whether we should just opt for the train.

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 05:37 PM
lisa

I would definitely take the train. The train takes less than 3 hours and fairly frequent. If you have a car then you need to leave it in Mestre... <BR>Venice is wonderful!!! <BR>Ciao for now...Lisa

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 02:16 PM
elaine

I have not driven that route, but the train is very pleasant. However, based on my own experience, travel light. It is difficult getting heavy luggage on and off the trains and dragging luggage <BR>through the train cars, putting luggage on overhead racks, dragging it through the stations, up and down stairs, etc. <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 03:20 AM
Valerie

My vote is for the train. We took it from Florence to Venice, in what was supposed to be 3 hours that turned out to be 5! 15 mins before reaching Venice in a beautiful village, a man threw himself infront of our train, successfully committing suicide! It was horrible! I am sure that won't happen to you. One other thing. We had celebrity Joe Piscapoe on our train and he was so nice and friendly!

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 07:53 PM
karie

Wow, Valerie! I was on that same train! Actually coming from the opposite direction. We left Venice a little after four in the afternoon, expecting about a three and a half hour train ride. Suddenly, we came to a halt, an announcement was made in Italian, which I did not totally understand. When I questioned a student in our compartment, he replied there had been an accident ahead...someone was run over. When I asked how it happened, he replied, "he no longer wished to live." Thinking I had misunderstood, I went to the dining car...sure enough, the student was right. (ugh!) Hope you had as beautiful weather in Venice as we did. It was so difficult to leave with the sun shining so beautifully! Sara, the trains are a great method of transportation. Have a great trip!

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 07:53 PM
karie

Wow, Valerie! I was on that same train! Actually coming from the opposite direction. We left Venice a little after four in the afternoon, expecting about a three and a half hour train ride. Suddenly, we came to a halt, an announcement was made in Italian, which I did not totally understand. When I questioned a student in our compartment, he replied there had been an accident ahead...someone was run over. When I asked how it happened, he replied, "he no longer wished to live." Thinking I had misunderstood, I went to the dining car...sure enough, the student was right. (ugh!) Hope you had as beautiful weather in Venice as we did. It was so difficult to leave with the sun shining so beautifully! Sara, the trains are a great method of transportation. Have a great trip!

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 09:42 AM
Sara

Thanks for the advice!

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 03:45 PM
Deb

Sara, <BR> <BR>I definitely second the train. The first-class Pendolino (fast trains - inter-city) are wonderful. You don't have to worry about Italian drivers (ha!). You can sit back and enjoy the sights. <BR> <BR>By the way, go 2nd class. Some of my party went 1st class and some 2nd class. The only differences I saw between the two classes on the fast train is 1st class has carpeting on the floor and is twice as expensive. <BR> <BR>Make sure you make seat reservations as well as tickets and make sure you are in a non-smoking car. We got stuck in smoking and I was miserable. <BR> <BR>Deb