Reload this Page >

the best location in paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 02:01 PM
doug

i've searched and searched. i am confused!!! what area, is the most convient to most major attractions and what budget hotel would you recommend in that area? <BR> <BR>thanks

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 03:54 PM
steve

You will probably get many different opinions on this topic. I would personally look on the left bank in either the 5th, 6th, or 7th. I also think a close proximity to the Seine is good because then it is easy to get to right bank attractions. You should do a site search for budget hotels- there have been a lot of good comments about the Familia.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 05:08 PM
Mike Miller

Doug, we stayed in the Grand Hotel Leveque which is in the 7th. A great place on a beautiful market street and at a reasonable price for Paris. I short block to the metro, a 15 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower. Recommended by both Rick Steves and National Geographic Traveler

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 08:16 PM
lynn

Doug - <BR> <BR>Stay in the 5th or 6th and forget the 7th. I know lots of people like it but I think it's too quiet. It's nice, but also too far away from everything else. If you really want to be centrally located, skip the 7th. <BR> <BR>If you stay in the 5th or 6th near the Seine, you will be in the most central location in Paris with close access to Louvre, Notre Dame, St. Chapelle, La Concierge, Luxembourg and Tuileries gardens, Musee de Cluny, Place St. Michel, St. Germain des Pres, etc., etc., etc. <BR> <BR>The Eiffel Tower is located on the western side of the city away from most of the sites which is why, although a nice area, I don't think it is the best place to stay. <BR> <BR

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 09:16 PM
Seamus

The metro in paris is so convenient that it is not critical where you stay as long as you are not in the far out burbs. The previously mentioned Grand Hotel Leveque (don't be misled by the name- it is clean and OK, but FAR from "grand") was cool if you like being right in the middle of the street market during the day (I did. Yes, it is a quiet part of town). The Latin Quarter can be dicey as some of the hotels sre quite noisy. A budget option is one of the many Ibis hotels around town. These are basic accommmodation at low rates, somewhat comparable to a Motel 6 in the US with functional but not plush furnishings (actually, owned by the same company, I believe). The breakfast at Ibis is, unlike most Parisian hotels, quite good and plentiful. There is a website; sorry i do not have the URL handy. You can do a search and find it. Enjoy!

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 11:37 PM
Martha B

The two-star hotels in the 5th which are not right down by the river are not all that noisy. There are just enough people around that it's fun to walk at night. Gault-Millau Guide suggests Hotel Familia, Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, and Hotel des Arenes in the budget category. Slightly more expensive, the Jardins de Luxembourg.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 12:48 AM
Vincent

OK, there are the classics : Latin Quarter, 7th, etc. But you should also look into the Marais area (3rd-4th), which is pretty handy and not as touristy. Or Montmartre, the apex of Paris "romanticism" (rather on the Northern side of it though, otherwise you'll be flooded by the busloads of tourists). Or why not a hotel near Canal Saint-Martin : you'll be very central (République) and in the heart of the new hip Paris ignored by tourists too.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 03:56 AM
Maira

I have stayed at 7th. While staying at the 7th, I WALKED (easy, short, nice walk) to the Eiffel Tower, Le Invalides (largest single collection/complex of monuments in Paris; beautiful park for a nice picnic right in front ), to St. Germain des Pres, to the Musee d'Orsay, to the Musee Rodin (one street over my hotel), and to many nice restaurants choices. The location was very convenient, nice neighborhood. In that area I recommend Hotel Muguet.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 05:04 AM
Lori

I have stayed in the 5th twice and will do so again. You are within walking distance of Notre Dame, Ile St. Louis, the Pantheon, the Sorbonne, the Seine, the Louvre. The metro is easy and convenient and will take you anywhere. I have always felt safe walking around the 5th even at night. You have access to many good and inexpensive restaurants, and you are within easy walking distance of the night life of the 6th. I highly recommend the Hotel Familia, I stayed there in May and was very pleased.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 06:23 AM
elvira

We stay at the Hotel Delhy, 22, rue de l'Hirondelle. It's a pedestrian walkway just off Boul'Mich, where the Seine meets the Boulevard. The RER B line stop is right there (the train that brings you from CDG or Gare du Nord - the Eurostar stop) and the Metro. You are 30 feet from the hustle bustle, but on a quiet walkway with no noise. It's family owned; they speak English; take credit cards. Toilet down the hall, but some rooms have showers. A quad is about $26 per person. They have a sister hotel off Boulevard St Germaine, but it's on a noisy 'party' street, so you have to ask for an inner room at that hotel. At the Delhy, all the rooms are quiet (although if you get a room on the 'courtyard', you have to smell bread baking every morning...).

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 09:08 AM
doug

thanks for all the replies i guess steve was right about different opinions.it seems the 5th and 6th are the most popular. does anyone have an email for hotel familia? this has been mentioned a few times, with all good reviews, when i researched. thanks again for your replies <BR>doug

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 09:30 AM
Boots

<BR>I don't know if they have an e-mail address or not, but a FAX and telephone number are given at http://www.paris.org/paris-cgi/PDB/hotel.cgi?htl1918

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 09:32 AM
Catherine

Doug, Eric who owns the familia told me in May that he was working on getting e-mail. <BR>The phone # is 01 43 54 55 27. <BR>The fax # is 01 43 29 61 77. <BR>The address is 11 Rue Des Ecoles. <BR>Phoning is easy as Eric speaks English. He told me that we should have booked a room with a balcony.The regular rooms are 510ff including breakfast.The balcony rooms are 560ff.